Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Review | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Review

I've had mine now for almost a year

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Laramie 4X4

Great truck. Towing a trailer, just over 1000 lbs + 3 people + gear + A/C full blast = 8.9 litres per hundred. 406 KM trip cost me just under 30 dollars of fuel. My daily driver is a golf sportwagen tdi. I'll have to admit. The Golf TDI doesn't sound like a diesel, but it sure is refined. The Ecodiesel sounds and drives like a diesel.... Which I LOVE! Too bad it doesnt put smoke out like a diesel... :(

My friend bought the 14 and his engine went though.. so I will be keeping an eye on that engine!

GP Bikes owns a ram ecodiesel and they tow small motorcycle trailers with it. *shrug*

What do you mean his 'engine went' ? you mean it blew up ?

Terrible?? what are you talking about, i get 14/100km towing .... ME

:)
Jeep has said the Wrangler will soon come with a Dodge eco diesel in the 4dr version. It should be pretty expensive off the lot, but given the terrible mileage (gas) of both the 2dr and 4dr Wrangler the eco diesel should jump right out front.

One time I accidentally toggled onto the real time gas mileage indicator in my Tundra. It was crazy. 20L/100km minimum and it would jump to 30 when I stepped on the gas. I'm lucky that my employer pays for the fuel. I'm not sure that I would own it otherwise. That being said, the truck is a joy to drive with tons of power and it has been bulletproof in it's 250,000km life.
30 is actually pretty low for real time. Most vehicles I've driven go off the gauge when you floor it.

Terrible?? what are you talking about, i get 14/100km towing .... ME

:)
In the Jeep discussion thread people were saying they get like 500 km on a 85L tank... That's not 14L/100km.

Yea, hard to believe that you get better mileage while towing with a wrangler than what people report driving around empty.

In the Jeep discussion thread people were saying they get like 500 km on a 85L tank... That's not 14L/100km.
I believe he has one of the older jeeps, the new ones I get 500 with a 72 liter tank. The 14/100km is what the dash says but we all know that thing is always wrong.

My FZ09 says I do 5L/100km which in a 14 liters tank should be 280km, I have never done any more than 240km on a tank.

Yea, hard to believe that you get better mileage while towing with a wrangler than what people report driving around empty.

I said towing "ME" it was a joke to say that I was getting **** mileage when I am not towing anything. My dash averages 15.5km/100L when I tow my bike and trailer and all the gear and parts, when not towing anything it runs at around 13.5 but I have mud tires, if I had flat regular tires I am sure it would do a little better.

Regardless, the Mileage is crap compared to some trucks.

Last edited:
I said towing "ME" it was a joke to say that I was getting **** mileage when I am not towing anything. My dash averages 15.5km/100L when I tow my bike and trailer and all the gear and parts, when not towing anything it runs at around 13.5 but I have mud tires, if I had flat regular tires I am sure it would do a little better.

Regardless, the Mileage is crap compared to some trucks.
My cars don't get much better than that (usually around 10L/100km, up to about 12 for AWD). I thought Jeeps were way worse based on the Jeep thread, and everything I've heard from owners. I wouldn't call it bad mileage for that vehicle.

Last edited:
With 18,000 K,, towing,city,Hwy,,,,averaging 14L/100 2015 Eco Diesel From the day I drove it off the lot

My cars don't get much better than that (usually around 10L/100km, up to about 12 for AWD). I thought Jeeps were way worse based on the Jeep thread, and everything I've heard from owners. I wouldn't call it bad mileage for that vehicle.

Really?? 300KM's out of 60 Litres of fuel. I will do the quick math on that one, it's 20L/100KM. How is that for Wrangler mileage?? :) That is with no modification to suspension or wheels on a 2004 TJ. Although I will admit, I did a bunch of strictly highway driving and got it to about 320 before the light came on. Also the tires are about 5-7% larger than speedometer indicated... I'm not going to do the math on that. Either way, shat.

Really?? 300KM's out of 60 Litres of fuel. I will do the quick math on that one, it's 20L/100KM. How is that for Wrangler mileage?? :) That is with no modification to suspension or wheels on a 2004 TJ. Although I will admit, I did a bunch of strictly highway driving and got it to about 320 before the light came on. Also the tires are about 5-7% larger than speedometer indicated... I'm not going to do the math on that. Either way, shat.

I was saying ZX600's mileage isn't bad. Yours is what I would expect for that vehicle, based on what I've read and heard. Yours is also closer to what I would expect for a pickup. I'm used to seeing 15 (usually never see that low) to 23 on 2005-2008 1500's and 2500's. I did rent a 2015 Dodge 1500 Hemi to bring my bike back from North Bay when I seized it and that got about 13L/100 km at 100-120 kph from North Bay to Toronto (which is also mostly down hill). Touch the gas pedal and it would jump well past 30L/100km easily.

I also just found out my 944 has an 80L tank. I just assumed the fuel gauge didn't work right and I've never put in much more than 50. Guess it wasn't lying when it said I had well over 1/4 tank left.

Last edited:
I was saying ZX600's mileage isn't bad. Yours is what I would expect for that vehicle, based on what I've read and heard. Yours is also closer to what I would expect for a pickup but these guys are saying I'm out to lunch. I'm used to seeing 15 (usually never see that low) to 23 on 2005-2008 1500's and 2500's. I did rent a 2015 Dodge 1500 Hemi to bring my bike back from North Bay when I seized it and that got about 13L/100 km at 100-120 kph from North Bay to Toronto (which is also mostly down hill). Touch the gas pedal and it would jump well past 30L/100km easily.

I also just found out my 944 has an 80L tank. I just assumed the fuel gauge didn't work right and I've never put in much more than 50. Guess it wasn't lying when it said I had well over 1/4 tank left.

my folks and a buddy of mine both have '14 Ram's with the V6 and the 8 speed transmission.. both say it's good on the gas.

With 18,000 K,, towing,city,Hwy,,,,averaging 14L/100 2015 Eco Diesel From the day I drove it off the lot

That is great mileage for a truck. Then again I am used to 66L/100km or so for the vehicles I usually drive! ;)

I wonder how good the mileage would be on a diesel GMC Colorado which has been rumored on some of the truck sites I frequent.

Well this did it,

Trading it in next week. Now to ecodiesel or stay with the duramax, that's the tough part.

Well this did it,

Trading it in next week. Now to ecodiesel or stay with the duramax, that's the tough part.
What's going on here?

Somthing fd up on the def system. There's extra coverage from GM for it. Glad it didn't happen driving to/from Shubie.

^ Every manufacturer of "clean diesels" that I know of is having issues of one sort or another with the emission controls. The technology has not had the kinks worked out of it yet.

I drove VW diesels for years, but the complexity of the new emission controls has made me switch over to plain ordinary port-injected gas engines - although gas engines have gotten better; I really can't complain about the Pentastar in my van. It does pretty well for being such a big box on wheels.

^ Every manufacturer of "clean diesels" that I know of is having issues of one sort or another with the emission controls. The technology has not had the kinks worked out of it yet.

I drove VW diesels for years, but the complexity of the new emission controls has made me switch over to plain ordinary port-injected gas engines - although gas engines have gotten better; I really can't complain about the Pentastar in my van. It does pretty well for being such a big box on wheels.
Why not just stick with an older VW if you were happy with them?

My truck was the first year for the def system and this is the first issue in 140K so I'm not upset. I am going to trade it in though.

With my eco Diesel I have seen several times where it has come up with a dash warning, "Your Exhaust Filter is 80% Full, Drive at Highway speed to fix it" So I get on the Hwy and do a 15 minute jog and it's fine. But I have discovered this happens with a lot of little trips. Because of my V10 Triton I avoided the highway and learned this truck loves it. So bringing the exhaust up to temp a couple times a week with a good hwy run has resolved this. But I don't know what happens if it gets to 100%.
Also ,,being new to diesels,, I was idling it too much which helps cause this in my opinion,, I was trying to warm it up and then waiting too long to shut it down after running it.
The truck takes about two jugs of DEF fluid. Which is about $25 a jug for the RAM brand. A full DEF tank will last the 16000 oil change recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom