Private sale and test rides | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Private sale and test rides

They won't...I called HRPS and they said that I'm free to use their parking lot, however, they won't attend or be present in any way...I'm ok with meeting at the Tim's since hubby will be there and I'll just message him about the bank in the meantime...
Interesting and good to know.

I wouldn't overthink it. Have handled countless cash transactions over 5k and never had a problem. Can usually tell a persons character pretty quickly. Even had 2 younger guys come to buy a car once and we counted out 25k in cash. I didn't ask questions. The paper ties around the money had cibc serial numbers on them from 6 months prior. Also was present at a side by side atv deal for my friend, another 25k in cash. Guys in trades and similar professions buying toys seem to be well acquainted with cash deals/sales...for every 100 positive transactions you will hear about the 1 bad/fake one on the news.

Asking to meet at the bank to withdraw money on the spot doesn't work for everyone. I'm with Simplii and have a daily limit of $1k, or if I call I have a max of $5k per day. So if the bike is anymore than $5k, I have to withdraw the money multiple days throughout the week.

A buyer saying cash in hand is not at all a red flag to me.

When I sold my ST I got a nice little stack of $100 bills. The new plastic bills have a number of security features that are relatively easy to check. Just slowly and methodically counted them and checked them at the same time. Also, When I did up the bill of sale I got his driver's license, checked the photo matched and wrote down the DL number and his address. After loading up the trailer I took a few "goodbye bike" pictures that included the bike, the new owner and the car's license plate number. I made a point of depositing all the bills at an ATM same day so the bank would process them ASAP.

Relatively small dollar transaction. I wouldn't be doing this with $20,000 on the table, I'd insist on going to the bank.

I'm showing my naivete/ignorance/stupidity now....why?
I would expect to hear from him/her/them before the meet saying he didnt have access to a trailer now and can he re-schedule. Last second changes to a plan are always a red flag to me.

Update; we're meeting at a local TD branch (we both bank there) and once we've agreed on the price, we're going to go deposit the cash right away (I think their money counters also check for authenticity) and then I'll give him the keys, ownership, and UVIP...

lady at SO said to wait a couple of weeks before going in to hand in my plate (if I don't need it anymore) and check to make sure the ownership was changed...apparently, I have to go into a SO location as I can't do it online or by phone...anyone else know otherwise on this?...the SO location in town closes at 1 on Saturday so we won't be able to go there right away too...

Thread revival....

My bike is up for sale as you all may know...I've had a few guys interested on FB Marketplace and one guy is meeting me at a Tim Horton's this Saturday...he hasn't tried to low ball me and says he as cash in hand...he's bringing a trailer to take it with him if he likes it...he knows that a test ride is not going to take place, and he's ok with that...he even suggested we meet at a police station if that made me more comfortable...I checked out his FB page and he also has another social media account which I scoped out...he's 27 and his pics show lots of bikes, sleds, cars, etc...I'm horrible at 'spidey senses' and hubby trusts most people (thinks I'm paranoid as I'm worried about counterfeit money)...

Would the fact that he has the cash in hand already put you guys off or be a warning signal?
Not at all. I always bring cash.

After loading up the trailer I took a few "goodbye bike" pictures that included the bike, the new owner and the car's license plate number.

You're not the only one who does this. I have the same for every bike, trailer, car, everything I've sold. There's a video of it driving away along with time stamped photos of the bill of sale, cash/payment, etc. If **** goes down, I'm CYA.

Here's the one from my old VTX on the new owners trailer trailer ready to head out. Took video of it going down the road.

1713486725596.png

Man, I miss that bike. Shoulda kept it. Many memories.

lady at SO said to wait a couple of weeks before going in to hand in my plate (if I don't need it anymore) and check to make sure the ownership was changed.

You can do it immediately after you sell it, you don't need to wait and see if the seller changed it into his/her name, you can go and file a report that you sold it and it'll be removed from your name at that moment. When I last did this it was a little form I needed to fill out so yeah, you needed to do so in person. I wrote about this here at the time, it was an eye opening event when I went in to buy a new licence plate sticker about 6-8 years ago and they asked me for "which motorcycle". Except I only owned 1 bike, or so I thought. Turned out I still "owned" a bike I'd actually sold in 1995 as well as it had never been switched. Also found a camper I sold in 1998 or so, a horse trailer I sold in 2018 or something like that, and I think a utility trailer as well. Point being, you can ask to see what vehicles still show in your name at a service ontario, and perhaps you might be surprised as well if you have sold stuff in the past that the previous owner may never have changed to avoid paying the taxes. I filled out a form for every one of them and had them removed from my name immediately. I've done the same for every vehicle I've sold since, sometimes within an hour of selling it.

As for the plate, you won't get anything back for it anymore like the old days of licence plate sticker refunds, so IMHO...keep it and hang it up on a wall in your garage/basement/whatever as a memento. If at some point years from now you buy something with 2 or 3 wheels again (who knows), you can always reuse it then again and save the new plate fee at that point as well.

You're not the only one who does this. I have the same for every bike, trailer, car, everything I've sold. There's a video of it driving away along with time stamped photos of the bill of sale, cash/payment, etc. If **** goes down, I'm CYA.

Here's the one from my old VTX on the new owners trailer trailer ready to head out. Took video of it going down the road.

View attachment 67275

Man, I miss that bike. Shoulda kept it. Many memories.

You can do it immediately after you sell it, you don't need to wait and see if the seller changed it into his/her name, you can go and file a report that you sold it and it'll be removed from your name at that moment. When I last did this it was a little form I needed to fill out so yeah, you needed to do so in person. I wrote about this here at the time, it was an eye opening event when I went in to buy a new licence plate sticker about 6-8 years ago and they asked me for "which motorcycle". Except I only owned 1 bike, or so I thought. Turned out I still "owned" a bike I'd actually sold in 1995 as well as it had never been switched. Also found a camper I sold in 1998 or so, a horse trailer I sold in 2018 or something like that, and I think a utility trailer as well. Point being, you can ask to see what vehicles still show in your name at a service ontario, and perhaps you might be surprised as well if you have sold stuff in the past that the previous owner may never have changed to avoid paying the taxes. I filled out a form for every one of them and had them removed from my name immediately. I've done the same for every vehicle I've sold since, sometimes within an hour of selling it.

As for the plate, you won't get anything back for it anymore like the old days of licence plate sticker refunds, so IMHO...keep it and hang it up on a wall in your garage/basement/whatever as a memento. If at some point years from now you buy something with 2 or 3 wheels again (who knows), you can always reuse it then again and save the new plate fee at that point as well.
That bike would need a heck of a cleaning after that trip home. Suck it up and spend the couple bucks to rent an enclosed.

That bike would need a heck of a cleaning after that trip home. Suck it up and spend the couple bucks to rent an enclosed.

I'm positive it did, but at that point, not my circus, not my monkeys.

I saw it for sale again last year, still looked great. In the end, road grime washes off.

Thought about re-buying it, but then there's the whole "It'll be in the way and I won't ride it much so that would be dumb" thing. Sentimental reasons, meet reality.

Well, other than having to wait almost an hour (we were early by 15 minutes and he was late by something like 45 minutes) it all went well...money deposited right away ($100 less than asking) and off they went...pretty cold riding to the meeting spot and it started to hail as they were loading her up...I don't feel as sad as I thought I would...

Its for the best...unless one has a climate controlled facility for long term storage, these machines will continue doing what they were meant to without simply rotting away over time..
it was always stored in my garage and because I have attached neighbours on both sides, it doesn't get that cold in there...but yeah, I hear what you're saying...

@Wind Shear my sale was actually very easy...had lots of interest, and if it wasn't for me being sick the past two weeks, it would've been sold earlier...congrats on your sale!

Now we need to hear back from @mimico_polak to see if his sale went through today...

it was always stored in my garage and because I have attached neighbours on both sides, it doesn't get that cold in there...but yeah, I hear what you're saying...

@Wind Shear my sale was actually very easy...had lots of interest, and if it wasn't for me being sick the past two weeks, it would've been sold earlier...congrats on your sale!

Now we need to hear back from @mimico_polak to see if his sale went through today...
Sadly my bike did not sell.

Guy showed up, took a vid, took some pics, thanked me and left.

Ah well. If it doesn’t sell I guess I’ll have to keep riding it. And I was already scoping out replacements!

If it doesn’t sell I’ll just keep it and give it a proper season trial before posting next season.

Back
Top Bottom