Private sale and test rides | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Private sale and test rides

All the more reason to have autodeposit turned on.

When someone sends me an Etransfer, as soon as I get the email it's been received, it's in my account.
i would love to do this but i tend to e transfer between accounts and autodeposit creates an issue. i suppose i could make a 2nd email for the 2nd account....nah too lazy.

Yeah, the only issue I have with e-Transfers are the low daily limits. A $5K bike will take at least two different transfers over two different days, depending on your bank. Or two different FIs, as was the case on my last bike transaction.

Can't imagine trying to buy a $20K bike using e-Transfer...
One of my accounts allows at least 10K daily. Another is something like 2K and that is super annoying as I have had to make a payment every day for a while. Tried to increase that limit (cibc) and they said not possible. May need to try again.

One of my accounts allows at least 10K daily. Another is something like 2K and that is super annoying as I have had to make a payment every day for a while. Tried to increase that limit (cibc) and they said not possible. May need to try again.
The max is $10k in a rolling 24hr period - that is Interac's limit. Each bank decides on a default limit for each customer profile (not by account), usually $2000-3000, the alternate limits. There are also 7 and 30 day rolling limits.

For instance, one bank might have a rolling 24 hr default of $2500, and alternate limits of $6 and $10K. They may also set qualifications on upping a limit. For example, a new profile or one with a fraud on record may not qualify for a limit increase.

Each bank sets their own limits. These limits are closely matched to their fraud detection capabilities, not always customer needs.

Thread revival....

My bike is up for sale as you all may know...I've had a few guys interested on FB Marketplace and one guy is meeting me at a Tim Horton's this Saturday...he hasn't tried to low ball me and says he as cash in hand...he's bringing a trailer to take it with him if he likes it...he knows that a test ride is not going to take place, and he's ok with that...he even suggested we meet at a police station if that made me more comfortable...I checked out his FB page and he also has another social media account which I scoped out...he's 27 and his pics show lots of bikes, sleds, cars, etc...I'm horrible at 'spidey senses' and hubby trusts most people (thinks I'm paranoid as I'm worried about counterfeit money)...

Would the fact that he has the cash in hand already put you guys off or be a warning signal?

Thread revival....

My bike is up for sale as you all may know...I've had a few guys interested on FB Marketplace and one guy is meeting me at a Tim Horton's this Saturday...he hasn't tried to low ball me and says he as cash in hand...he's bringing a trailer to take it with him if he likes it...he knows that a test ride is not going to take place, and he's ok with that...he even suggested we meet at a police station if that made me more comfortable...I checked out his FB page and he also has another social media account which I scoped out...he's 27 and his pics show lots of bikes, sleds, cars, etc...I'm horrible at 'spidey senses' and hubby trusts most people (thinks I'm paranoid as I'm worried about counterfeit money)...

Would the fact that he has the cash in hand already put you guys off or be a warning signal?
Sounds OK. If you are nervous and your husband isn't around, maybe some gtam member could choose to get a donut at that time. An extra set of eyes for you.

If you're worried about fake cash, you can talk to them about meeting at bank. They withdraw and hand you the envelope. With luck, you have access to an account at that bank and you hand it back to teller. No cash issues for you. No way to cancel the transfer for him.

Sounds OK. If you are nervous and your husband isn't around, maybe some gtam member could choose to get a donut at that time. An extra set of eyes for you.

If you're worried about fake cash, you can talk to them about meeting at bank. They withdraw and hand you the envelope. With luck, you have access to an account at that bank and you hand it back to teller. No cash issues for you. No way to cancel the transfer for him.
Thanks...hubby will be around so that's covered...I'm more worried about fake cash...I thought about asking him to meet at a bank, but didn't want to 'offend' him by insinuating mistrust...not to mention, if he has a trailer with him, most banks around here have really tight parking lots...I guess he could unhitch the trailer and we go together to the bank (him in his vehicle, me on the bike)...as you can see, I don't see things privately that often LOL

Thread revival....

As the buyer suggested, meet at a police station, even ask an officer to witness the transaction?

Thanks...hubby will be around so that's covered...I'm more worried about fake cash...I thought about asking him to meet at a bank, but didn't want to 'offend' him by insinuating mistrust...not to mention, if he has a trailer with him, most banks around here have really tight parking lots...I guess he could unhitch the trailer and we go together to the bank (him in his vehicle, me on the bike)...as you can see, I don't see things privately that often LOL
You won't offend him. He will know you are being careful.

You worry too much. If he seems like a giant d-bag, walk...

It'll likely go smoothe. Expect him to lowball a bit. It likely needs new tires. Its been sitting a while, so the battery may be done, or on borrowed time.

$500 less? Yeah, likely still a good deal for you, and then you have your garage space back.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

As the buyer suggested, meet at a police station, even ask an officer to witness the transaction?
They won't...I called HRPS and they said that I'm free to use their parking lot, however, they won't attend or be present in any way...I'm ok with meeting at the Tim's since hubby will be there and I'll just message him about the bank in the meantime...

The fact he said he's willing to meet in a public place to start, and even suggested a police station secondly (where one knows without doubt they will be on camera) seems to yell legit buyer to me. "Cash in hand" is a common thing many will mention as well to ensure a seller that they're not just window shopping and then if they want it then need to go scrape together the cash, holding things up.

Coming with a trailer on top of it all? Yeah, this is a good deal in the making IMHO.

Just don't get railroaded on price, in some ways you're in the drivers seat with him having brought a trailer (he's clearly planning to bring it home or he wouldn't bother with that part), but I've also had the opposite where someone tried to guilt me into a lowball offer because "I came all this way with my trailer and everything!".

If you've got room to negotiate, expect an offer, and if it's low, counteroffer. Find a happy medium and make the deal. If he's reasonable, negotiation goes both ways. I'm a frugal guy and shamelessly negotiate almost everything lol, but I also know when it's time to give vs take as well and settle on an amicable price with a seller and move on to complete a deal if that price was within my budget in the end.

But honestly, I'd be getting good vibes from that sort of communication thus far.

If he doesnt show up with the trailer (unexpected flat tire, etc etc), walk (ride) away, quickly,

I've been buying and selling anything from CD's to vehicles online since about 2002. One thing I learned quickly is to not get offended if people have preference about getting paid or want to count the payment in front of you. Business is business, period.

One possible approach is to allow him to inspect the bike and both agree on a price, then complete the transaction with a bank draft for you and a letter of sale for him.
An option would be for you to wait at TH while he goes to a bank to get the draft.
After that, visit Service Ontario to inform them of the sale.

Good Luck!

One possible approach is to allow him to inspect the bike and both agree on a price, then complete the transaction with a bank draft for you and a letter of sale for him.
An option would be for you to wait at TH while he goes to a bank to get the draft.
After that, visit Service Ontario to inform them of the sale.

Good Luck!
I don't trust a draft unless I see the seller make it. It's a little harder to fake on a negotiated price but I'd just have a fake draft for the bulk and cash to top up.

Thread revival....

As Evoex put it, it's a business deal. Why do people get their shorts in a knot over potentially offending someone with a realistic request?

He was such a nice person and I didn't want to offend him. THEN HE SCAMMED ME.

Good con artists don't look like smarmy TV type con artists because that would keep them from being good at conning people.

The bullet proof way of getting the money is to meet at a bank. He withdraws the money and in front of the teller slides it to you. You slide it back to the teller and ask for a draft or money order. Total isolation and you're not walking around with a ton of cash.

Getting your name off the paperwork is part 2. When I sell something I never want my name attached to the item again. If something goes wrong lawyers have a duty to their clients to get money. They will drag in anyone that could be part of a settlement.

When I sold my last bike I delivered it to Windsor. If the guy didn't like it it was a nice ride home.

It also pointed out that the bike was up to road trips.

He drove me to his bank and got me a draft. Then to MOT for the transfer. Then to the train station for my ride home. He even paid the fare.

Why I don't like test pilots.

1) Liabilities. If something goes wrong it falls on the owner. If it's serious enough the insurer will try to find an excuse to deny a claim and your house is part of the settlement. All because you want to be nice and don't like saying no.

2) In most cases the buyer will not be familiar with the bike and at the same time be distracted listening and trying to feel for imperfections instead of watching for road distractions.

3) The buyer will be tempted to push it to the limit to see if it breaks. Refer to #2 above. HTA 172 means impound of your property.

4) The "What if I don't like it" excuse doesn't wash. Steak houses don't give free samples. The buyer becomes a better rider if they do proper research. Feel free to sit on the bike, taking care not to rip the seat getting on or off. Feel the heft of it and ask yourself if you could pick it up. Bring a qualified mechanic if it makes you happy.

Back
Top Bottom