Private members bill to ban passing across double line | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Private members bill to ban passing across double line

I'm not so convinced that will happen in such a smart way. Some single lines in good fishing spots will get replaced with double. Most won't be changed imo.
Well, I was hedging my bets with "some"... I am thinking it would end up being more than "none", but definitely not comprehensive.

This really is truly useless though. Like a cop still has to witness this either way, and if they didn't feel they could make an improper passing charge stick there's already a bunch of other sufficiently vague charges they could bring out. This is classic Ontario attempting to legislate "crime" out of existence

Also, this law will have a cost - road markings in some areas will have to be re-evaluated, they simply weren't made with this in mind

Who are you kidding. None will be changed, not even in places where there's a double yellow despite clear visibility for kilometers.

In the ideal world, any such increase in a restriction should be accompanied by relieving the restriction everywhere that it can practically be done. Law says no passing within 150 metres of a hill, curve, or intersection? (and that's the way it reads right now) Then those are the only locations that should be marked with a prohibition. Everywhere else, solid centerline markings SHALL be replaced with dashed.

That ain't happenin'.

FYI in Europe, practically every country road has either no centerline markings or it's dashed all the way, even around corners and up and down hills. It's your responsibility to figure out whether you can or can't. There's plenty of times that an overtake is safe with a Hayabusa (or Ferrari) where it wouldn't be safe with a cbr125 (or Fiat Panda 1.0)

I'm ok if people are ignorant of that non-law. Makes it easier for me to pass when desired.

On the other hand, easy pickings for cops if it becomes law.
Okay I don't understand this I'm not passing if there's a cop anywhere around so what difference does it make if it's legal or not

Sent from the future

Okay I don't understand this I'm not passing if there's a cop anywhere around so what difference does it make if it's legal or not

Sent from the future
I have passed on a double line with oncoming traffic in the distance. Too far away to identify as a cop. Easy for them to submit dashcam of my illegal move.

I have passed on a double line with oncoming traffic in the distance. Too far away to identify as a cop. Easy for them to submit dashcam of my illegal move.
I would usually be way into 172 territory as well if it was on the bike

Sent from the future

So, make a point of contacting your MPP and expressing concern about this proposed law. That's all anyone can do at this point.

On the bike, I pass on a double yellow all the time, no issue. I think I'm perfectly capable to determine if it is safe to do so. In the SUV, not so often, primarily due to slower acceleration.

Saw this the other day.

Average person doesn't know it's legal anyways if my students are a good sample size :LOL:
Yes, currently pavement markings alone in Ontario are insufficient to mark a "No Passing" zone. To make passing illegal they must be accompanied by a proper black on white overhead sign.

He was sentenced to 15 years
Yep and he'd still do it again based on his comments. Some people are just over the top on "self-enforcing" the law.

Sent from the future
Yeah that's a problem. But in my defense the cop was in an unmarked vehicle and I didn't realize what I was passing (@130kph in an 80zone) until I was beside his door. (he trailed me for a while but never lit up the lights)

Yeah that's a problem. But in my defense the cop was in an unmarked vehicle and I didn't realize what I was passing (@130kph in an 80zone) until I was beside his door. (he trailed me for a while but never lit up the lights)
That would be 172 and unsafe pass.

Sent from the future

I'm all for anything that makes the roads safer but am also concerned that the politicians will only look at the possible revenue aspects.

We need more lane discipline. The government needs more money. It should be an easy sell. Think of the children.

Traffic safety should be based on a rewards system. Three warnings punched into your licence gets you a free coffee at MOT headquarters while your driving habits are discussed. A second cup of coffee comes with a free bicycle.

I think they should make it law that you MUST have a good grasp on COMMON SENCE b4 getting behind the wheel or a motor Vehicle .
Me thinks this would solved alot of issues.
Just saying....

Reactions: LBV
Stay safe from HTA172.

Ride the KLR.

Stay safe from HTA172.

Ride the KLR.
Yeah for sure that wasn't on the killer. That's another great point about klr, it's a hoot to ride but barely has the jam to get you into the 172 zone.

Yeah for sure that wasn't on the killer. That's another great point about klr, it's a hoot to ride but barely has the jam to get you into the 172 zone.
172 for speed starts at 70 km/h now. A 50cc scooter can get a 172 ticket for speeding.

Back
Top Bottom