off duty cop | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

off duty cop

I thought you were referring to Joe. My apologies, sir
Espresso. Long. (Or double as they say here)

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Not sure if that sarcasm was aimed at me.

Nope. Wasn't. My failed attempt at some cross thread humour.
Agree with the rest of your post that I didn't quote.

Espresso. Long. (Or double as they say here)

I once rode with a woodbridge crew. They all rode Ducatis & MV Agusta. On one part of the ride the guy pulled up to a small cafe & ordered a cappuccino with one if those small cups. There was even 2 gentlemen who were in skinny dress shirts who looked very European that talked to us.

I wish I was kidding but true story...

I once rode with a woodbridge crew. They all rode Ducatis & MV Agusta. On one part of the ride the guy pulled up to a small cafe & ordered a cappuccino with one if those small cups. There was even 2 gentlemen who were in skinny dress shirts who looked very European that talked to us.

I wish I was kidding but true story...
File alongside: track oants and leather jackets, track pants an dress shoes...

No one is telling you to do that. I am saying there has to be a badge and a photo ID.
Just the badge on it's own is a clue it's bogus.

Yeah you did

"If someone pulls beside you and has a badge and photo ID and wants you to pull over, you should.
He is not going to give you a ticket unless you act like a real anal orifice."

"

Yeah you did

"If someone pulls beside you and has a badge and photo ID and wants you to pull over, you should.
He is not going to give you a ticket unless you act like a real anal orifice."

"

No ****.

No way in hell would I pull over for some random person in an unmarked car if they showed me their badge/ID. Like I can read and validate it while I'm driving beside them?? WTF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Let me state this once more in such a way that no one can possibly misunderstand it.
If a person pulls beside you and shows you police ID, it must be in a wallet with a badge.
No one is saying you should validate anything while you are in motion.

If this person is showing you just a badge, it is bogus.
If the badge is in a wallet, check to see if the photo ID is present.
No one is saying to try to read it at 100 plus km/hr
This information is being offered to assist you in recognising a REAL cop.
If you choose to stop, stop. If you choose not to stop, don't stop.

Let me state this once more in such a way that no one can possibly misunderstand it.
If a person pulls beside you and shows you police ID, it must be in a wallet with a badge.
No one is saying you should validate anything while you are in motion.

If this person is showing you just a badge, it is bogus.
If the badge is in a wallet, check to see if the photo ID is present.
No one is saying to try to read it at 100 plus km/hr
This information is being offered to assist you in recognising a REAL cop.
If you choose to stop, stop. If you choose not to stop, don't stop.

Let me state this more clearly so you can't possibly misunderstand me.

I don't care what badge or ID combination someone shows me. I don't care if it's real or fake. I'm not pulling over for anyone in an unmarked car that flashes their badge/ID.

I don't care what badge or ID combination someone shows me. I don't care if it's real or fake. I'm not pulling over for anyone in an unmarked car that flashes their badge/ID.

Then don't pull over. That's your decision.

Last edited:
As stated your choice as long as you are aware of the consequences. If the officer is on duty but in an unmarked uint and you fail to stop as directed to do so, you could then be facing additional charges, such as fail to stop for police.

The advised course of action is to pull over, remain in your vehicle, you are permitted to crack the window only as far as to facilitate conversation. If you have a cell phone and are still unsure as to the validity of the stop you may call 911 and request that a uniformed officer attend, (albeit they too may be in an unmarked unit as well).

Generally once you contact 911 the dispatcher will cocnfirm via radio the officer's identity and direct you as to what steps you need to follow, (If they confirm the officer via radio, presumably you will bear witness to this and at that point comply with all directions). The dispatcher normally will also advise you as to the authencity of the stop, and advise you to comply as well. At that point if you fail to comply then you have no valid defense for the slew of charges that are likely to follow.

If this stop is made on a dark country road at night and you feel unsafe you should immediately contact 911 and advise that you feel unsafe stopping in that location they will advise the officer and provide you with further direction based upon the officers directions, (which may include permitting you to drive to a well lit location or the officer may request that you pull over immediately, which of course you should do and advise 911 dispatcher you wish them to remain on the line until you feel safe).

But again you may do as you wish just be aware that there may be additonal ramifications for simply choosing not to stop. The law does not permit for you to decide if the stop is legitimate or not, that is why there are complaint processes and courts, to decide.

Let me state this more clearly so you can't possibly misunderstand me.

Last edited:
As stated your choice as long as you are aware of the consequences. If the officer is on duty but in an unmarked uint and you fail to stop as directed to do so, you could then be facing additional charges, such as fail to stop for police.

I'm not talking about a cop in uniform who's in an unmarked cruiser that has all the lights flashing.

I'm talking about an out-of-uniform cop driving their personal vehicle. I'm not pulling over for some random person in some random car that tried to show me some form of ID that may or may not be authentic that I'm unable to verify while driving.

Nor am I but undercover officers don't wear uniforms nor at times do they have cruisers with flashing lights. As I said your free to do as you choose. I am just advising others that taking the stance of I stop for no one unless they are "in uniform, in some random car" isn't as clear cut as it may seem. I was merely pointing procedures that if followed will provide the person being pulled over with a viable defence should it come to a court case.

Also of course if an officwer is over stepping their authority and pulling people over in their personal car without justification following the above procedure of calling 911 will put a VERY quick end to that abuse of power....

I'm not talking about a cop in uniform who's in an unmarked cruiser that has all the lights flashing.

I'm talking about an out-of-uniform cop driving their personal vehicle. I'm not pulling over for some random person in some random car that tried to show me some form of ID that may or may not be authentic that I'm unable to verify while driving.

@hedo2002 like someone said though, this doesn't work too well on 2 wheels.

True. Just pointing out that "i am not pulling over regardless of the situation" isn't the most advisable approach, could lead to much bigger issues. But most of these type of incidents are going to occur in populated areas where the rider could pull over pretty quickly in an occupied area, (gas station, variety store, timmies etc). Simply choosing to ignore. If once your stopped it becomes obvious the person has no authority then the best solution is to call 911. I doubt an attendant is going to refuse phone use for 911, You could end up reporting a fake cop, and getting that person off the street. Even a real cop who is off duty in their personal vehicle will catch hell, unless they can prove a VERY serious offence, (at which point they should have been o their cell asking for uniformed back up).

But each person should do what they feel is proper for them, just trying to educate new drivers and riders that simply because you feel you don't need to stop isn't advisable, as a generalized rule of thumb. Could be a real undercover cop who has justification for making the stop.

@hedo2002 like someone said though, this doesn't work too well on 2 wheels.

True. Just pointing out that "i am not pulling over regardless of the situation" isn't the most advisable approach, could lead to much bigger issues. But most of these type of incidents are going to occur in populated areas where the rider could pull over pretty quickly in an occupied area, (gas station, variety store, timmies etc). Simply choosing to ignore. If once your stopped it becomes obvious the person has no authority then the best solution is to call 911. I doubt an attendant is going to refuse phone use for 911, You could end up reporting a fake cop, and getting that person off the street. Even a real cop who is off duty in their personal vehicle will catch hell, unless they can prove a VERY serious offence, (at which point they should have been o their cell asking for uniformed back up).

But each person should do what they feel is proper for them, just trying to educate new drivers and riders that simply because you feel you don't need to stop isn't advisable, as a generalized rule of thumb. Could be a real undercover cop who has justification for making the stop.

Calling 911 to verify is the best solution but is not always possible.

Driving to a gas station, timmies, etc is much smarter than just pulling over to the side of the road.

If it occurs on a dark country road you wouldn't be able to read their ID at all, and maybe not even be able to see that they're even showing you a badge/ID let alone verify its authenticity.

I have zero reason to trust any cop ever.

If a random car (non-obvious cop) makes moves on a country road that suggest they want me to stop, I'm outta there. I've had it happen. I doubt if the vehicle in question was a cop - probably just someone who doesn't like bikes and was trying to stir up trouble - but I left the vicinity with acceleration and speed that a Chrysler minivan would not be capable of.

Also of course if an officwer is over stepping their authority and pulling people over in their personal car without justification following the above procedure of calling 911 will put a VERY quick end to that abuse of power....

I'm more afraid of an out of control cop... than I am of someone impersonating a cop!

Back
Top Bottom