off duty cop | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

off duty cop

Under the Ontario Police Act, a sworn constable is on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In or out of uniform is irrelevant.
A constable's authority to enforce the law is province wide. So a Kenora constable can pull you over in Kingston if they wish.
That's the law, now to practical stuff.
An off duty PC must have his ID on his person at all times. In Ontario this consists of his warrant card (with photo) and his badge. It comes in a wallet so when you see one, you see them both. No real PC would have just his badge without the card.
It is unlikely an off duty PC would have his book of tickets with him.

Last edited:
Under the Ontario Police Act, a sworn constable is on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In or out of uniform is irrelevant.
A constable's authority to enforce the law is province wide. So a Kenora constable can pull you over in Kingston if they wish.
That's the law, now to practical stuff.
An off duty PC must have his ID on his person at all times. In Ontario this consists of his warrant card (with photo) and his badge. It comes in a wallet so when you see one, you see them both. No real PC would have just his badge without the card.
It is unlikely an off duty PC would have his book of tickets with him.

If a non local officer saw something bad enough, or got honked off enough at someone's behaviour, he'd likely just hold the person and call a local on duty officer to level any charges.

If a non local officer saw something bad enough, or got honked off enough at someone's behaviour, he'd likely just hold the person and call a local on duty officer to level any charges.

The question Rob is if a PC who is not local is in your area he is probably on vacation.
You would probably have to do something really bad for him to take action, especially in a driving situation.
It would also require him to return for court.
What I was trying to point out was the difference between what the law states and the real world.

If someone pulls beside you and has a badge and photo ID and wants you to pull over, you should.
He is not going to give you a ticket unless you act like a real anal orifice.

I wouldn't pull over. I'd maybe drive to the nearest cop shop and then pull over but if you are not in a cop car I'm not stopping.

Flashing a "badge " through the window of a moving car and expecting me to validate the ID is just asinine.

The question Rob is if a PC who is not local is in your area he is probably on vacation.
You would probably have to do something really bad for him to take action, especially in a driving situation.

Why would you assume he is probably on vacation? He could work as a cop in a municipality different from the one he lives in, so now add commuting time between the two. He may shop, go to entertainment venues, or visit nearby family in a municipality other than the one he works in. He may have a vested interest in taking action against ********** driving like ********** in the neighbourhood he lives in. All are much more probably than the cop being on vacation outside his usual work area.

It would also require him to return for court.
What I was trying to point out was the difference between what the law states and the real world.

If someone pulls beside you and has a badge and photo ID and wants you to pull over, you should.
He is not going to give you a ticket unless you act like a real anal orifice.

Given that there have been well documented cases of false personation, I would recommend doing what meme stated instead.

Why would you assume he is probably on vacation? He could work as a cop in a municipality different from the one he lives in, so now add commuting time between the two. He may shop, go to entertainment venues, or visit nearby family in a municipality other than the one he works in. He may have a vested interest in taking action against ********** driving like ********** in the neighbourhood he lives in. All are much more probably than the cop being on vacation outside his usual work area.
Why would you assume that your scenario is correct and mine is not?My scenario is offered as an example, not an absolute.If something like this happens to you, use your judgement.

Last edited:
Why would you assume that your scenario is correct and mine is not?My scenario is offered as an example, not an absolute.If something like this happens to you, use your judgement.

I'm challenging the word "probably", not the fact that it "could" be a possibility.

My judgement if being pulled over by a badge or unmarked car would be to find the closest very visible place to stop where others are present, and if one was not very close by, call 911 and ask for police to verify that the person trying to stop me is in fact a cop, or request them to send a marked cruiser to my direction of travel.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that if you can't be sure the person stopping you is an officer, you are to call 911 and they will try to communicate with the "officer". Not sure if this is true or not but that is what I would do.... if I am in a car

Just a reminder that the law against using cell phones while driving has a clear exception when contacting emergency services. So, if you're calling 911, you're in the clear. Of course, this is irrelevant when on 2 wheels :cool:

So you can call anyone if you're on a motorcycle?
Now that's something that @inreb or I would have posted! Lol.

2 wheels? Does helmet Bluetooth have voice dial?
Also, haven't you heard? When you're on 2 wheels you never stop for anyone! F*** The Police! (Sarcasm font)

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Now that's something that @inreb or I would have posted! Lol.

2 wheels? Does helmet Bluetooth have voice dial?
Also, haven't you heard? When you're on 2 wheels you never stop for anyone! F*** The Police! (Sarcasm font)

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I have a Scala 4 and can make and rec`v calls. However, Unless, it is important I do not do either. However, if it is an emergency I have the option.
What is an emergency? Late for Tea. Lol.

Not sure if that sarcasm was aimed at me due to my comment but if I am driving, I am able to slow down and pay more attention to the other car to try and identify if there is a police officer, if I am in a bike, I am not going to be looking at anything else but the road ahead of me and the rear view mirror, I am not going to put myself in danger by trying to look behind me or beside me while I ride and I am definitely not going to wait around for the car to try and take me out because I am not stopping which wouldn't be as much risk while driving a car. So if I can't identify the car, I am off, they can come visit me at home later on and show their badge.

Nothing to do with F the police.

I wouldn't pull over. I'd maybe drive to the nearest cop shop and then pull over but if you are not in a cop car I'm not stopping.

Flashing a "badge " through the window of a moving car and expecting me to validate the ID is just asinine.

No one is telling you to do that. I am saying there has to be a badge and a photo ID.
Just the badge on it's own is a clue it's bogus.

I am a Brit. Would be tea, perhaps with crumpets. The female kind. Lol.
I thought you were referring to Joe. My apologies, sir

Back
Top Bottom