New to dual sport | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to dual sport

Which hill was steep?

No seriously at 6min40 of the video "Ride 1 Creemore to Hockley" the hill looks pretty scary...I have problem with height in general. I find Supernam really good to follow and not get discouraged ever. Riding with people help the courage factor. On your own you'd just turn away.

True, but the reality is that a new dirt rider without the appropriate tires is very likely to crash over and over again and it is going to frustrate them.

On the other hand, an aggressive tire is going to impress the hell out of the new dirt rider and surprise them about what they can make it through, up, and over.

Personally I'd rather wear out aggressive tires quickly on the road than crash repeatedly due to poor tire choices on the dirt.

I think a few riders here can attest to the struggles they've entailed trying to follow me on inappropriate tires... Chase, Iceman, Shane, Demon Pig? On some of my rides every single rider (apart from me -- I've been lucky) have crashed at least once -- and more often than not it is at least partially because of the tire.

I concur, the right tire makes all the difference in the world. In retrospec having actual knobbies would have been much better for the 690. *shrug*

The trail attacks on the 1190 are quite good on the road / light gravel, but definitely not anything wet or remotely muddy.... Maybe I will just bite the bullet and get TKC80's this time. I do wonder how fast they will melt off.

-2 next Thursday, 5 mm of snow, can ride 10 am to 3 pm, where do you want to meet?

I am serious!

Would be nice, but I'm not riding salty roads. Would be nice to rip up a gravel pit or something though. I'll be waiting until spring... :(

I concur, the right tire makes all the difference in the world. In retrospec having actual knobbies would have been much better for the 690. *shrug*

The trail attacks on the 1190 are quite good on the road / light gravel, but definitely not anything wet or remotely muddy.... Maybe I will just bite the bullet and get TKC80's this time. I do wonder how fast they will melt off.

Wear them out before changing them. I'm planning a logging road tour up to the abitibi canyon, over to wawa and back. Look forward to more than 1000km of hard packed logging roads, but bring your dust mask or stay 1km behind me.

Wear them out before changing them. I'm planning a logging road tour up to the abitibi canyon, over to wawa and back. Look forward to more than 1000km of hard packed logging roads, but bring your dust mask or stay 1km behind me.
Keep me in the loop for this one. Checked out A Vicious yesterday, they carry tkc80 in my size. I'm hyped for some tours this summer.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Keep me in the loop for this one. Checked out A Vicious yesterday, they carry tkc80 in my size. I'm hyped for some tours this summer.

The loop being more than 1KM away from Mike... Trust me!

If only I had pictures of my raccoon eyes... ;)

The loop being more than 1KM away from Mike... Trust me!

If only I had pictures of my raccoon eyes... ;)
Raccon eyes don't scare me! Once you've done a few OFTR 2 day trail rides with 150 other dirtbikes, getting really dusty and dirty doesn't bother you much. Off-road Ontario races weren't any better for staying clean.
Although I will be doing something with the air filter on the versys if the trail is that dusty.

Some of those logging roads are pretty bad... worse than any trail I've been on because the gravel is being pounded and pounded by huge logging trucks crushing the stone into a fine powdered dust.
On the road from #17 to Ramsey Lake last year, if a truck passed us in the opposite direction often we had to stop and wait for the dust to settle as there was zero visibility.

I'm not sure how Chase had any visibility at all being behind me, aside from trying to keep to the side of my dust wake.

On the other side, if anyone is considering doing the Trans-lab run... this run I am planning will be excellent training for that, as the conditions are nearly identical aside from being not nearly as remote as Labrador. It will still be remote enough that only big bikes with long fuel ranges should consider going -- my Vstrom has a 400+ km range, and I will still be bringing spare fuel.

Some of those logging roads are pretty bad... worse than any trail I've been on because the gravel is being pounded and pounded by huge logging trucks crushing the stone into a fine powdered dust.
On the road from #17 to Ramsey Lake last year, if a truck passed us in the opposite direction often we had to stop and wait for the dust to settle as there was zero visibility.

I'm not sure how Chase had any visibility at all being behind me, aside from trying to keep to the side of my dust wake.

On the other side, if anyone is considering doing the Trans-lab run... this run I am planning will be excellent training for that, as the conditions are nearly identical aside from being not nearly as remote as Labrador. It will still be remote enough that only big bikes with long fuel ranges should consider going -- my Vstrom has a 400+ km range, and I will still be bringing spare fuel.

It was like riding in a constant blizzard. I had to keep using my hands to wipe my visor of the dust. In retro-spec I should have been back farther, but when there is ZERO cell reception and we were pretty far away from civilization..... I didn't want to get lost :p

Honestly that logging rode was sketchy as hell (with zero visibility). The fine powder gravel is very slippery, and it doesn't help when the graders leave huge piles in the middle of the road.

To put it in perspective all my pockets were full of sand, and they were closed!

I think a good CB radio would be an excellent addition when you are out in the middle of nowhere.

So I've been trying to think of the solutions to riding in a group on very dusty roads -- of course I will provide the GPS tracks prior to the run.

1) The ideal solution would be if we all had Senas or something with decent range so we could stagger our travels and I could announce any turns, but not everyone has Senas (I don't), and I am not sure of the consistency of the range especially in hilly areas.

2) I could just stop at every turn and wait, once the group is together I'd leave first and then people could follow allowing 2 minutes between starts (or something like that) -- which will slow things down a bit, but will give more break opportunities to re-hydrate, have a smoke, whatever.

3) The riders in the back could just suck it up and eat the dust.

1) The ideal solution would be if we all had Senas or something with decent range so we could stagger our travels and I could announce any turns, but not everyone has Senas (I don't), and I am not sure of the consistency of the range especially in hilly areas.

Senas work about as far as you can see the other rider. Past that it's out of range. I does make things easier when in a group as you dont have to stop to chat...

I know I love mine but most the time its just for music...

You will feel infinitely more comfortable and confident riding in the right group as long as you leave the ego at home and ride the pace and level you're comfortable with. Almost every person I ride with is extremely conscious of their fellow riders and no one ever feels like they're holding anyone up - it's mostly the fear of feeling like they're going to hold others up when the riding gets tough. None of us are racing or need huge speeds to have fun - it's about overcoming the technical riding challenges that keeps us engaged and interested in riding.
Nam is a good rider and a great sport - I have no doubt that he went beyond his own circle of comfort at times but hopefully he also felt supported and comfortable with the group of riders.

No seriously at 6min40 of the video "Ride 1 Creemore to Hockley" the hill looks pretty scary...I have problem with height in general. I find Supernam really good to follow and not get discouraged ever. Riding with people help the courage factor. On your own you'd just turn away.

Don't forget to check other sites (especially Petes Superbike) for TKC80 prices before buying - Petes has some very competitive prices on most tires.

My usual fellow rider group (when we do long trips) and I use Cardos and when we've had others in the group, we always lead and trail the group with two guys with headsets so we always have the entire group between us - it's a lot better than designated "catch-up" spots like stops at turns, etc.

So I've been trying to think of the solutions to riding in a group on very dusty roads -- of course I will provide the GPS tracks prior to the run.

2) I could just stop at every turn and wait, once the group is together I'd leave first and then people could follow allowing 2 minutes between starts (or something like that) -- which will slow things down a bit, but will give more break opportunities to re-hydrate, have a smoke, whatever.

3) The riders in the back could just suck it up and eat the dust.

Back
Top Bottom