New riders: should we armour up? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New riders: should we armour up?

I had a couple of M1 (whatever the heck they were called back then) in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I used to ride my buddy's GS 450 around a bit and had a low sider in a parking lot from some early fall leaves combined with some moisture. Being young and dumb I was wearing shorts. I still have some marks from this.

Needless to say I remembered this when I did the course at Conestoga College and bought some decent gear to start with.

I will be curious to see what the OP thinks after taking the course and learning about gear, which gear, statistics of accidents etc. Very easy to have an accident close to home etc.

I still contend that you should buy gear that is comfortable, easy to put on and off, and that you will actually wear. Leather is by far the best for most people but I gravitate towards "convertible" mesh sort of gear. I am presently wearing Olympia Airglide pants and jacket which I can remove layers from for hot weather. They also have water resistent layers as well. For boots I wear A* SMX-5 and find them very comfortable to wear. They also work decent for small walks off the bike or for hanging around a patio. Gloves are Velocity VR-Pro gauntlets which also work for guys on the track so I am comfortable that they would protect my hands decently well in an off.

Re: Spinal protection/injuries

One reason i like to wear full gear, is to take nice corners if i have to.

R1-Knee-Down-Sparks1.jpg

50633.jpg

Beauty pics you got there and I totally agree with being prepared for a nice corner ;)

A friend of mine went down, many years ago, wearing full gear. He did not walk for 5 years. Car pulled out in front of him, he grabbed the brakes (was going approximately 60 km/h) and he collided into the side of it. Extensive injuries and many surgeries later, he lived, he had to learn to walk again and he fought his way back onto a bike. If he didn't have proper gear, he wouldn't have been able to raise his two children... Canada Goose jackets won't protect you, nor will T- Shirts or jeans.

10 mins down the road in stop and go traffic or on a race track without obstacles, you should protect yourself equally.

look guys,
I think It's clear everyone knows that the more gear you have, the better protected you will be from breakages, bruises, scrapes and so on...in ALL situations. Now, I'm no rider yet-- (4 more days togo!!) but it seems to me - that there are risk levels involved here. I don't think its reasonable to expect any rider - new or old - to be traversing 80+ KM/h speed roads for long periods with ONLY a helmet. On the other hand, if you have a 15 minute route along city streets to go see a friend on a clear Sunday summer afternoon in relatively slow stop and go traffic, it seems to me that your risk level of getting into a significant accident is a whole lot lower.

YES of course you can get blindsided by a car running a red light, rear ending you, etc. But the same can happen as a pedestrian, biker, etc. So are cyclists recommended to go out with full riding gear now and pedestrians walk around with helmets? Of course not.

But I think, and again, this is limited knowledge based on my thorough studying, reading the threads, etc, that the reality is, is if you have a high speed crash, a jacket and boots isn't going to do any more for your life than not having said jacket and boots. Let's be serious here...sad to say, and it sounds like some on here know someone who has experienced this...but life loss seems a huge possibility in this instance.

YES, you can get into an accident just pulling out of your driveway...but is it likely? No... And why wouldn't similar stats apply to the KIND of motorcycling you're into? Yes, some guys get into it to take the fastest roads, and most risky routes, but there are some of us out there who are content with just casual riding. if the risk of serious accidents is higher for the former rider, why is it reasonable to expect the casual rider will want to, or should, wear the same level of protection as the fast crazy rider?[/QUOTE

Mark, you really do sound as though you don't want to wear gear and a fishing for permission from GTM to not wear it. Enough. Wear it or don't. Comparing MOTORcycling to cycling or walking is ridiculous. Stop writing about "what if's" and "buts".
I've put around 1200kms on the bike since March. Some easy rides some fast and twisty, some on side roads some on 400 series hwys. Haven't had even a close call. Thank(insert higher being here)Goddess. Did I "need" my helmet and the rest of my gear?
No. So what.
I don't dress for the x% probability that something bad will happen.
I dress for the 100% possibility that it could happen.
Stop with "it "probably" "statistically" won't happen". Wear it or don't.

look guys,
I think It's clear everyone knows that the more gear you have, the better protected you will be from breakages, bruises, scrapes and so on...in ALL situations. Now, I'm no rider yet-- (4 more days togo!!) but it seems to me - that there are risk levels involved here. I don't think its reasonable to expect any rider - new or old - to be traversing 80+ KM/h speed roads for long periods with ONLY a helmet. On the other hand, if you have a 15 minute route along city streets to go see a friend on a clear Sunday summer afternoon in relatively slow stop and go traffic, it seems to me that your risk level of getting into a significant accident is a whole lot lower.

YES of course you can get blindsided by a car running a red light, rear ending you, etc. But the same can happen as a pedestrian, biker, etc. So are cyclists recommended to go out with full riding gear now and pedestrians walk around with helmets? Of course not.

But I think, and again, this is limited knowledge based on my thorough studying, reading the threads, etc, that the reality is, is if you have a high speed crash, a jacket and boots isn't going to do any more for your life than not having said jacket and boots. Let's be serious here...sad to say, and it sounds like some on here know someone who has experienced this...but life loss seems a huge possibility in this instance.

YES, you can get into an accident just pulling out of your driveway...but is it likely? No... And why wouldn't similar stats apply to the KIND of motorcycling you're into? Yes, some guys get into it to take the fastest roads, and most risky routes, but there are some of us out there who are content with just casual riding. if the risk of serious accidents is higher for the former rider, why is it reasonable to expect the casual rider will want to, or should, wear the same level of protection as the fast crazy rider?

Mark, you really do sound as though you don't want to wear gear and a fishing for permission from GTM to not wear it. Enough. Wear it or don't. Comparing MOTORcycling to cycling or walking is ridiculous. Stop writing about "what if's" and "buts".
I've put around 1200kms on the bike since March. Some easy rides some fast and twisty, some on side roads some on 400 series hwys. Haven't had even a close call. Thank(insert higher being here)Goddess. Did I "need" my helmet and the rest of my gear?
No. So what.
I don't dress for the x% probability that something bad will happen.
I dress for the 100% possibility that it could happen.
Stop with "it "probably" "statistically" won't happen". Wear it or don't.

Agreed, should you where gear...... Yes. Do you have to..... No. Anyone can argue the percentages, but when you go down personally I want as much gear as possible. OP and Mark2k, if you want to test what it feels like without gear.... go to driveway with shorts and a tank top on, run as fast as you can and slide as hard as you can on your legs or arms. Want to turn it up a bit, do the same but on a bicycle. Please post results.

A lot of people use this excuse but it's simply not true. Yes, there are some accidents you won't walk away from no matter what but they don't necessarily have to be high speed. In many instances it's the sheer number of severe injuries which contribute to a fatal outcome. If you fracture, rather than completely sever your spine because you were wearing a back protector and you haven't lost 60% of your skin because you were wearing leather, your chances of a good outcome increase exponentially.

I've put around 1200kms on the bike since March. Some easy rides some fast and twisty, some on side roads some on 400 series hwys. Haven't had even a close call. Thank(insert higher being here)Goddess.

I am in full agreement with CB's post. But I would wager that rather than a 'higher being' CB Rider has actually depended on professional training and practise, constant attention and planning, proper lane positioning, smooth operation of the controls, book and video study, pre-ride checks, and all the other habits and disciplines that make a) the need for a higher being to rescue you from poor riding unnecessary and b) motorcycling such an incredibly enjoyable craft.

The thread title is "New riders: should we armor up?"

The clear answer is "YES." I haven't read anyone type "No you should not wear any gear except a helmet which is mandatory" aside from the ones being sarcastic.

Don't wear gear if don't want too. It is not really that big of a deal, until you fall off your bike anyways.

I am in full agreement with CB's post. But I would wager that rather than a 'higher being' CB Rider has actually depended on professional training and practise, constant attention and planning, proper lane positioning, smooth operation of the controls, book and video study, pre-ride checks, and all the other habits and disciplines that make a) the need for a higher being to rescue you from poor riding unnecessary and b) motorcycling such an incredibly enjoyable craft.

You give me too much credit, but thanks.
I personally chalk it up to feeling like the only cat in a room full of dogs.
And while I do practice all that you mentioned, and do not head out on the road "depending" on her(higher being), it is comforting believing she's got my back at times

What's the saying? Never ride faster than your angel can fly. :angel1:

New rider here. This will be my second season. And I dress up from head to toe on a 2 piece leather suit, track boots, helmet, back protector and gloves. Even just to get gas around the corner.

I love dressing like a power ranger.

New rider here. This will be my second season. And I dress up from head to toe on a 2 piece leather suit, track boots, helmet, back protector and gloves. Even just to get gas around the corner.

I love dressing like a power ranger.

Good for you.
Common sense rules. Not too difficult to think what is best.

Always armour up, it's stupid not to. I crashed into a deer in a couple years back on the way to work while traveling southbound on highway 410, just north of the Derry exit. I ended up getting some road rash, spraining a whole bunch of joints and fracturing my pinky finger but I walked away without any serious injuries. At the time of the incident, I was wearing a Shoei RF1100 helmet, Alpinestars GP Pro leather jacket, Dainese D6 Kevlar jeans and SS Running with the Bulls riding shoes. The one day I didn't put my riding boots on (I wore riding SHOES with minimal ankle protection) was the day I could have used it the most. As a result, my ankles were sprained to a higher degree than my other joints. Don't take the chance and gear up every time. Even if you're the best rider around crap can happen when you least expect it.

Last edited:
Still looking for touring boots.
Also, any suggestions on kevlar jeans? Saw a pair of Icon Velocity (?) at Bpt PS, but they were just jeans, no armour. Opinions on that?

Also, any suggestions on kevlar jeans? Saw a pair of Icon Velocity (?) at Bpt PS, but they were just jeans, no armour. Opinions on that?

I have a couple pairs of joe rockets I got on sale at the royal tent sale. I love them. Very comfy and they don't look like riding pants. Also they easily go over any of my boots. Some other brands I found were too small at the bottom to cover anything other than shoes.

thumb3.php

TCX Goretex airs are amazing boots...waterproof and they also let a reasonable amount of air flow, and comfy for me. Look at the German or Italian sites for good gear deals currently. I saw a pair of full leather Italian made adventure boots by Forma for about $150 US I think when the cheapest here is over $250 US (from a US dealer online).

TCX Goretex airs are amazing boots...waterproof and they also let a reasonable amount of air flow, and comfy for me. Look at the German or Italian sites for good gear deals currently. I saw a pair of full leather Italian made adventure boots by Forma for about $150 US I think when the cheapest here is over $250 US (from a US dealer online).

I think I was looking at those on Motoport. My only issue is having never worn any, I am not sure about fit.

Wear Armor All. Slide ftw.

FWIW my tcx boots fit pretty much the same as my dainese or alpinestars boots. Same size for me with all of them.

Once again, thank you. I plan on going up to Royal Barrie for their no tax sale. Will check out the boots and the pants you recommended.

Back
Top Bottom