need a new cell phone - have no idea... | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

need a new cell phone - have no idea...

@ShaneK

Also, on the LG G4 install the Nova Launcher (check youtube) and it will change the interface of the phone plus give you a few other features.
The stock interface is busy for me.

The G4 also has the tap twice on the screen to turn on/off. Works great!
The G4 also has some cool features they took from custom ROM makers and Tasker type things e.g. when you arrive home it will switch to your wifi, change ringer, do some other things automatically. The phone can stay unlocked when connected to your home bluetooth/wifi or your cars bluetooth.

It can make the phone do certain things also at work e.g. turn ringer off and vibrate mode.

I think you can get it to auto set a few things when you are on your bike e.g. connected to your helmet or you add a simple NFC sticker/Tag to your bike mount then it knows when phone is on the "dock".

There are some tough cases for the G4 also (Ebay). For now I have the tempered glass screen protector and cheap clear soft skin case...I can see my leather back cover of the phone. I have Spigen case (ebay $10) for tougher duty which has a little kickstand...haven't used as yet.

All of @-D- s love for the G4 is really making me want to not bother trying to get the G5 (unless all those cool features are available for that one as well)
Shane, when I upgrade, I will probably keep my S4 as a back up and I may consider getting rid of my present back up-- my Lumia 625
I'm finding it tough to part with it but if I do, it will be cheapish

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

All of @-D- s love for the G4 is really making me want to not bother trying to get the G5 (unless all those cool features are available for that one as well)
Shane, when I upgrade, I will probably keep my S4 as a back up and I may consider getting rid of my present back up-- my Lumia 625
I'm finding it tough to part with it but if I do, it will be cheapish

G5 was/is a flop.

Check Youtube reviews and comparisons between the G4 and G5.
That's why I went with the G4.

G5 was/is a flop.

Check Youtube reviews and comparisons between the G4 and G5.
That's why I went with the G4.
Got it thanks
G4 it is.
(Plus I already ordered the screen protector and clear case for the g4)

Got it thanks
G4 it is.
(Plus I already ordered the screen protector and clear case for the g4)

I highly suggest that you and your kid do not use phones until you get the cases and screen protects.
phone is a bit larger and you have to get used to it

check the tube on tips tricks for installing screen protects
I run the shower on hot for few minutes, door closed
then go in after as the steam pulls the dirt out of the air...clean screen properly and install the protect in the bathroom.
look at using the scotch tape method to align as you have to be precise.

phone sounds good for audio too

btw- the voice commands work in both directions for the camera :)
enjoy!

I highly suggest that you and your kid do not use phones until you get the cases and screen protects.
phone is a bit larger and you have to get used to it

check the tube on tips tricks for installing screen protects
I run the shower on hot for few minutes, door closed
then go in after as the steam pulls the dirt out of the air...clean screen properly and install the protect in the bathroom.
look at using the scotch tape method to align as you have to be precise.

phone sounds good for audio too

btw- the voice commands work in both directions for the camera :)
enjoy!
Whiskey!

I'm in the minority. Just use my phone for calls and the occasional text. Use separate PCs for daily use/ forums, e-mails, etc and separate one for banking etc.

I'm in the minority. Just use my phone for calls and the occasional text. Use separate PCs for daily use/ forums, e-mails, etc and separate one for banking etc.
And by "occasional text", you mean never! Unless you are talking about receiving them! ?

My wife is similar. We both got our S4 phones on the same day. I got us the same cases, different colours.
I've gone through 4 cases total, her wallet case is still stiff when you open it!

Gotcha, so no banking done by your cell phone, no emailing or texting of personal nature, who you call is also worth money to some one.

NO

I will not pay for a personal device that steals data that can be used to steal my identity.

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not but really, you shouldn't worry about that. Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook and others have enough data that, if they wanted to, could completely **** you and everyone else who has been on the internet so badly you'd go bankrupt and still be able to start a civil war for ***** and giggles.

But they don't.

At this point there is nothing you or anyone else can do to stop them if they wanted to. Instead, the tech giants give us quality of life improvements by increasing our efficiency of tasks after harvesting our information. If SkyNet comes, it comes. Until then, just enjoy the technology that we've spent the last 3 decades creating.

As for the original post...http://www.androidauthority.com/cheap-android-phones-269520/

I would not buy an iOS phone due to their restrictive nature and ridiculous price point. I would also never buy a phone on a contract and instead just straight up by an unlocked phone. Do the math and you'll see why.

油井緋色;2488672 said:
I don't know if this is sarcasm or not but really, you shouldn't worry about that. Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook and others have enough data that, if they wanted to, could completely **** you and everyone else who has been on the internet so badly you'd go bankrupt and still be able to start a civil war for ***** and giggles.

But they don't.

At this point there is nothing you or anyone else can do to stop them if they wanted to. Instead, the tech giants give us quality of life improvements by increasing our efficiency of tasks after harvesting our information. If SkyNet comes, it comes. Until then, just enjoy the technology that we've spent the last 3 decades creating.

As for the original post...http://www.androidauthority.com/cheap-android-phones-269520/

I would not buy an iOS phone due to their restrictive nature and ridiculous price point. I would also never buy a phone on a contract and instead just straight up by an unlocked phone. Do the math and you'll see why.

There is a certain amount of trust we give the manufacturer, what was being sent to a company in china was more than the data google/microsoft/apple collects.

Got an iPhone 5s at factory direct a few months back for a killer price and it still works, happy customer

Last edited:
油井緋色;2488684 said:
What company was this? Gonna do some digging.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourcei...2&ie=UTF-8#q=chinese+cell+phone+stealing+data

Nevermind, found out.

This is old news and was patched a long time ago.
What hasn't been patched is that China only looks after its own interests, it has demonstrated little concern for international law or human rights, has a heavy hand in all businesses that operate in China, and it has the know-how to make bugs that are undetectable.

It's not even about bank account number or passwords, it's about every little tidbit of information that seems harmless on the face of it, like visiting cnn or ebay, but combined with everyone else's data when it's mined and crunched by analysts, gives all sorts of valuable information that can be used to exploit, manipulate, profit from all of us. It's about ceding power to the powerful, or not. That data is worth something, and I'm not going to just give it away.

I just wish everyone weren't so uncritical in accepting seemingly 'cheap' 'convenient' technology into their lives. Alexa, Siri, Cortana, and all the other voice operated IoT devices? Yikes! Might as well volunteer for slavery.

What hasn't been patched is that China only looks after its own interests, it has demonstrated little concern for international law or human rights, has a heavy hand in all businesses that operate in China, and it has the know-how to make bugs that are undetectable.

It's not even about bank account number or passwords, it's about every little tidbit of information that seems harmless on the face of it, like visiting cnn or ebay, but combined with everyone else's data when it's mined and crunched by analysts, gives all sorts of valuable information that can be used to exploit, manipulate, profit from all of us. It's about ceding power to the powerful, or not. That data is worth something, and I'm not going to just give it away.

I just wish everyone weren't so uncritical in accepting seemingly 'cheap' 'convenient' technology into their lives. Alexa, Siri, Cortana, and all the other voice operated IoT devices? Yikes! Might as well volunteer for slavery.

I totally agree. I actually ****ing hate the Chinese (and am borderline racist due to having a lot of bad experiences with mainlanders).

At the same time, if Chinese IT went to war with the Western world, the Western world would completely piss all over it.

Just remember this: if there's a way they're sending your data to servers, there's also a way in to nuke said servers. The internet is a very powerful force and if you piss it off, it will always fight back.

Sorta related to this thread, can anyone suggest a good BYOD plan? I'd like 2-3 gigs of data and hopefully less than $50/mo.

Public mobile currently has a promo going on now.
Unlimited Province Talk
Unlimited Global Text
2GB/mth data
$40+tax/mth

If you want just Unlimited Talk and Text, it's $25.

no contract, just order the SIM online. Also, if you set it up to 'auto pay' it reduces the bill by $2/mth. You pay for 90 days at a time.
Public Mobile runs on the TELUS network and has LTE coverage (no zone BS).

Back
Top Bottom