My (and your) life is only worth $85 + $9 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

My (and your) life is only worth $85 + $9

Easy; the fact that she gunned the throttle indicates that she saw the car coming and wanted to cross ahead of it. The fact that she saw the car but not the bike in front of it, could only be described as inattentive, or "operation without due care and attention". No?

You would think that it would be that easy, but The Crown must prove that a reasonably prudent person wouldn't do the same thing under the circumstances. Couple that with a difficult to see single track vehicle and you can generate some doubt.

Had some doorknob in a slammed, tinted, and fart-piped Mazda 6 try to put me into the back of a parked transport along Tomken Rd., on Monday afternoon, by pacing me in the left lane off the light. It was brake to avoid and probably get nailed by the cars behind, or teach the turd about the acceleration of even a mid-sized bike. Guess which I chose.
Would love to hear.

In my Case she was eating & driving.
*shakes head*

Sent from my tablet using my paws

The definitions involve much more than just the 'without due care and attention' part.
the words 'and' , 'or' , 'may' , and 'shall' have very specific meanings. Anytime you see an 'or' you can stop reading, because everything after is treated like a new rule. Every time you see an 'and' you have to keep reading, because everything after is to be included. 'May' means optional. 'Shall' means must.

race is defined as "3. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or ..."
stunt is defined as "8. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or ...."

that's it. that's all you have to read, for that point.

Had some doorknob in a slammed, tinted, and fart-piped Mazda 6 try to put me into the back of a parked transport along Tomken Rd., on Monday afternoon, by pacing me in the left lane off the light. It was brake to avoid and probably get nailed by the cars behind, or teach the turd about the acceleration of even a mid-sized bike. Guess which I chose.

The definitions involve much more than just the 'without due care and attention' part.

HTA 172 at its best. He could have been charged for the lane blocking but since you outaccelerated him you're the goat.

Let's just say that I'll risk 172, rather than becoming a pancake because someone thinks it's funny.

I'm sure we've all hit 172 territory

Sent from my tablet using my paws

It's disgusting to just read the outcome for me ....

OP, glad to hear you are OK and moved on.

Let's take a step back and look at this objectively.

Accidents happen, preventable accidents happen, stupid people drive, and will continue to drive; whether they get caught or not.

You're upset that she: paid a small fine, and got a minor conviction which won't hurt her insurance as much. So what happens if she didn't plead down from whatever she got (careless probably?)? She pays a big fine, not to you, and pays more for insurance, not to you. What you're desiring here is revenge. You want to make her life a bit harder. Why? You take to the road acknowledging a risk, and drivers have insurance to mitigate that risk. Traffic violations really have nothing to do with you; you get your benefits from insurance, and move on (sometimes you don't...sometimes you die or get disabled from an accident, that's a risk of driving)

The bottom line here: Everyone's upset you didn't get revenge on her pocketbook, and that's childish. Insurance paid out? You're back on the road? Great, you can both move on with your life, and learn from the experience.

Accidents happen, preventable accidents happen, stupid people drive, and will continue to drive; whether they get caught or not.

You're upset that she: paid a small fine, and got a minor conviction which won't hurt her insurance as much. So what happens if she didn't plead down from whatever she got (careless probably?)? She pays a big fine, not to you, and pays more for insurance, not to you. What you're desiring here is revenge. You want to make her life a bit harder. Why? You take to the road acknowledging a risk, and drivers have insurance to mitigate that risk. Traffic violations really have nothing to do with you; you get your benefits from insurance, and move on (sometimes you don't...sometimes you die or get disabled from an accident, that's a risk of driving)

The bottom line here: Everyone's upset you didn't get revenge on her pocketbook, and that's childish. Insurance paid out? You're back on the road? Great, you can both move on with your life, and learn from the experience.

The problem here is that this sort of dangerous behaviour should be what eventually leads to someone losing their license but pleading it down means that it will take longer, and possibly more/greater injuries, before that happens. This, while arguably less dangerous behaviour that has not resulted in injury is prosecuted heavily.

The problem here is that this sort of dangerous behaviour should be what eventually leads to someone losing their license but pleading it down means that it will take longer, and possibly more/greater injuries, before that happens. This, while arguably less dangerous behaviour that has not resulted in injury is prosecuted heavily.

A thorough review of our faulty system would include factors such as:
Is this a one time event or a pattern of behavior.
How long it takes to alter a persons behavior (if possible). Our present penalty system is like a flash diet, sort of works in the short term but no long term lifestyle changes are made.

How many people would be able to keep their licenses if they had to undergo an evaluation similar to one used for certain types of gun permits? More people are killed by cars than guns.

If a vehicle defect kills one person or injures a few the manufacturer recalls millions of vehicles at a cost of 100s of millions. If the nut attached to the steering wheel is defective nothing happens.

Government quality control approved the nut for service. Where is the oversight?

If a vehicle defect kills one person or injures a few the manufacturer recalls millions of vehicles at a cost of 100s of millions. If the nut attached to the steering wheel is defective nothing happens.

And you know that how???

Now jaded from my own experience, this does not surprise me, but it does anger me.

Summary: A man driving a BMW car kills one biker and injures 3 other riders that now have lifelong injuries. Phone records show his cellphone received four phone calls during the drive and one text message near the time of the crash. Verdict? He (the driver) walks away from court a free man.

Barrie Examiner said:
Driver found not guilty of ‘texting while driving’ in crash that claimed life of Barrie motorcycle driver
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/20...that-claimed-life-of-barrie-motorcycle-driver

Anger and outrage over a judge’s decision in a recent ‘texting while driving’ trial that involved the death of a Barrie motorcyclist has biking communities across the province taking online action.

Letters to the Crown attorney and the Attorney General, online websites and a Facebook page called “bikers against texting” have all been part of the action since Friday when a Newmarket judge found an Oshawa man not guilty.

Michael Rogers, 24, was on trial for dangerous driving causing death and dangerous driving causing bodily harm in a horrific accident outside Orillia on July 4, 2010.

Christopher Sprecker, 55, was out for a motorcycle ride with about 10 of his riding buddies, heading northbound along Highway 12 on a sunny afternoon, when he was killed.

Sprecker’s leg was severed when he was hit by Rogers’ BMW.

Three other Barrie riders — David Yeoman, Robert McEachern and Peter Campagna — were horribly injured and left with lifelong injuries including broken legs, broken shoulders and “shredded skin” that resembled third-degree burns.

All are Barrie residents and members of the Southern Cruisers Riding Club, which raises money for grieving children.

During the trial, Rogers admitted to talking on his cellphone while driving that day.

Phone records show his cellphone received four phone calls during the drive and one text message near the time of the crash.

On the witness stand, Rogers was adamant that he did not look at the text.

“I absolutely was not reading a text or looking at my phone at the time of the collision,” insisted Rogers, who was grilled by the Crown.

Court heard Rogers was in shock after the crash, but apologized as he got out of his vehicle to view the carnage.

“Then why would you apologize?” pressed the Crown.

“Because I was devastated about what happened and I am sorry to this day,” he answered.

Rogers’ defence lawyer, Lydia Riva, insisted the crash was due to “a moment of inattention” and not an act of dangerous driving as defined by the Criminal Code.

“This tragic accident was just that, an accident,” insisted Riva. “He was not text-messaging, nor looking at his phone at the time of the accident. He was not intoxicated. He was not horsing around. He was not speeding.”

Justice Cory Gilmore said she could not determine beyond reasonable doubt that Rogers was reading a text at the time of the crash, and therefore found him not criminally responsible.

Rogers walked away from court a free man.

Members of various motorcycle riding groups are upset with the verdict.

“It doesn’t matter if he was texting or not,” insists one of the victims of the crash that has left him walking with a cane. “It was his vehicle that killed one man and horribly maimed three others. Why is he not being held accountable? … Why was he at least not found guilty of careless driving causing death?”

However, under the Criminal Code of Canada, there is no such charge of “careless driving causing death” — a charge of careless driving does exist under the Highway Traffic Act, which carries a maximum fine of $2,000, but it is not a criminal offence.

The charge of dangerous driving causing death is a Criminal Code offence — however the charge is rarely laid as it is difficult to get a conviction and police and the Crown have to work together in deciding whether or not they should take the step of laying that charge.

The Criminal Code notes that the Crown must prove that the driver used a “marked departure from the standard of care of a reasonable and prudent driver.” In other words, it must be shown that the driver did not use due care and attention or consideration for other people using the highway.

Even with a conviction, the maximum sentence of 14 years in prison for dangerous driving causing death is rarely imposed except on offenders with previous criminal records of similar behaviour. A youthful driver with no related record, for example, would likely end up with a conditional sentence to be served at home.

In this case, Rogers was initially charged with criminal negligence causing death, which can carry a maximum sentence of life in prison, but the charge was later reduced to dangerous driving causing death.

Ministry of Transportation statistics show in 2009 there were 516 driving-related fatalities and 44,054 personal injuries in Ontario. That same year, there were two convictions for criminal negligence causing death and 13 convictions for dangerous driving causing death.

It is not known how many of those incidents were cellphone-related.

Bottom line is, motorcyclists are at the greatest risk of being injured by inattentive drivers and area motorcyclists say they are fed up. They want stiffer penalties to deter drivers from using cellphones. They have set up a Bikers Against Texting page on Facebook with hundreds of comments coming in within 48 hours of the posting. The site also includes links to other related sites.

“We are in the process of collecting our thoughts and will decide what our best course of action is, including a letter writing campaign to the Crown attorney,” said Southern Cruisers Riding Club member and one of the men injured in the crash, David Yeoman, who hopes the Crown will appeal. “For everyone’s sake, don’t text and drive.”

Objectively? If it only costs $85, chances are, she will do it again.

The point of hurting her wallet is precisely that she learns a lesson and never does it again. Is it childish to wish for that? I don't think so myself, it is the way fines work (as a deterrent).

Yes she was.

The other punitive financial consequences are the cost of her paralegal ($500 for a major?) and her insurance rates. She was early twenties at most.

Also, I added #4 in the original post. I'm still healthy and still riding.

People, it's yourself vs everyone else out there on the road. Even if you are wronged, the other person may just get a proverbial slap on the wrist. I know the sentencing is not for our vindication, but I still feel wronged that the only penalty was an $85 ticket. The officer also said 2-3 points maybe, but you need 15+ demerit points for your license to be suspended, and only for 30 days. And don't get me started talking about being a victim of insurance fraud....

Dude separated shoulder!, is not fine, you aren't going to get those ligaments back. lol. I went thru the same thing my shoulder is 100% separated can't bench press for **** hear cracking all the time. Should go after her in civil court. whos going to pay for your shoulder physiotherapy. lose of work while arm heals.

but Im glad your alive and still on the bike. :D
Cheers!

Objectively? If it only costs $85, chances are, she will do it again.

The point of hurting her wallet is precisely that she learns a lesson and never does it again. Is it childish to wish for that? I don't think so myself, it is the way fines work (as a deterrent).

The fine is far from the biggest deterrent, we all know that (insurance). Money means different things to different people, and fines hardly act as a deterrent. The difference between a $1000 fine and $600 for a paralegal+fine really isn't much, and even a $3000 fine isn't going to make someone re-evaluate their choices. It does one thing: makes them poorer. Perhaps our point system is too lenient, but the only way to make an impact is to impact the license, which only happens after a *lot* of points, and even then within a short period. 2-3 points wouldn't have made a huge difference in this case.

The fine is far from the biggest deterrent, we all know that (insurance). Money means different things to different people, and fines hardly act as a deterrent. The difference between a $1000 fine and $600 for a paralegal+fine really isn't much, and even a $3000 fine isn't going to make someone re-evaluate their choices. It does one thing: makes them poorer. Perhaps our point system is too lenient, but the only way to make an impact is to impact the license, which only happens after a *lot* of points, and even then within a short period. 2-3 points wouldn't have made a huge difference in this case.

Claim forgiveness means that if this is her only ticket, a minor, then she isn't likely going to see any impact on her insurance rates.

What's really needed are things that have been happening in some US states; minimum penalties for being at-fault in collisions involving injury or death.

Doesn't matter if the driver was on the phone, or fiddling with the radio, or was just ignorant of right-of-way rules, and as a result, it doesn't matter what the cell phone records show or what excuse they give. If a driver is at fault in a collision resulting in injuries ... then there is a set minimum fine and a set minimum driver's license suspension period. I would add that in right-of-way-violation situations, the driver shouldn't just get their driver's license back after the suspension, they should be sent back to square one as if they were a new driver, and go through the whole testing procedure again (forces them - as best we can - to re-acquaint themselves with the rules).

Ideally, s. 172 should go away, and the penalties transferred to this.

What's really needed are things that have been happening in some US states; minimum penalties for being at-fault in collisions involving injury or death.

Doesn't matter if the driver was on the phone, or fiddling with the radio, or was just ignorant of right-of-way rules, and as a result, it doesn't matter what the cell phone records show or what excuse they give. If a driver is at fault in a collision resulting in injuries ... then there is a set minimum fine and a set minimum driver's license suspension period. I would add that in right-of-way-violation situations, the driver shouldn't just get their driver's license back after the suspension, they should be sent back to square one as if they were a new driver, and go through the whole testing procedure again (forces them - as best we can - to re-acquaint themselves with the rules).

Ideally, s. 172 should go away, and the penalties transferred to this.

Love this idea.

Back
Top Bottom