Muskoka Roads | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Muskoka Roads

wow!! Dude, lucky those other guys were there ! man.. What happened to the bike?? Damage wise?

Not much...

Broken front fender and the left signal popped off. Gear shifter was facing the other direction for some reason but we were able to fix it. I still ended up riding back home.

29 seconds is where the fun starts...Thanks to those who rescued my ***. I was balls deep in water and my legs were pinned under the bike, I couldn't do ****...

[video=youtube_share;aIldgZD8nto]http://youtu.be/aIldgZD8nto?t=29s[/video]
Oh man, you know I don't say this often, but have you ever thought about just buying a scooter and staying off country roads?

If people are going to ride, they need to seriously understand what that means.

Glad you are ok

Last edited:
Not much...

Broken front fender and the left signal popped off. Gear shifter was facing the other direction for some reason but we were able to fix it. I still ended up riding back home.

On a trip to Pa couple years back a friend crashed his Kawasaki concours. It must be a kawi thing his shifter was backwards behind the footpeg and 1 up five down and of course he couldn't ride it so we switched bikes but that was after a duct tape run LOL

I lent a pair of vice grips to act as a shifter to a rider who crashed on sw13 10 years ok. I never got the tool back, if you someone still shifting with vise grips they belong to me.

I lent a pair of vice grips to act as a shifter to a rider who crashed on sw13 10 years ok. I never got the tool back, if you someone still shifting with vise grips they belong to me.

LOL would be a really rusty vice grip by now

Oh man, you know I don't say this often, but have you ever thought about just buying a scooter and staying off country roads?

If people are going to ride, they need to seriously understand what that means.

Glad you are ok

I'm already on a ****ing scooter...and no, I like country roads, but **** trying to prove anything Southwood, slow and steady wins the race.

I've got plenty of seat time, have been riding since I was a kid and have seen my brothers laying dead right before me, I have a good idea of what it means to ride and all its consequences. I've gotten older and little wiser now but from time to time I still need to tell that superhero in my head to calm the **** down.

Its the reason my gear is probably worth more than my bike.

Last edited:
Rather than just live with the fact that the road is a mess, why not do something about it? We all pay taxes right? I sent the following email to the Muskoka Work Department...

"Greetings,

I am emailing to advise you of a dangerous situation on Southwood Road (Muskoka Road Hwy 13). I'm not sure if you are responsible for this road, but there is a ton of sand all over this road and it has clearly not been cleaned or swept this year. This is a highly travelled road for motorcyclists and will eventually lead to an accident or death with this amount of sand in the corners. Can you please look into and advise if this is your responsibility and when it will be cleaned?

Most appreciated."

@burg226: I would have left out the bit about motorcyclists, they really could not care less.

On that note, though, I hit Doe Lake Road on Sunday and the north half was a beach.

Just did a Kawarthas -> Southwood -> Killbear Prov Park yesterday.

Southwood is OK at the Beginning/End of the road but the middle is pretty bad. Every Suggested speed turn has a **** load of loose gravel and sand but the long sweepers are clean. Some area in the Kawarthas Lakes area is undergoing construction - 100% mud/soil when I went by a couple sections - they were redoing the road completely so hopefully they finish fast.

Some of the curves in Southwood also get fully covered in sand mid-turn in some instances.

Instead of going Southwood, there are some nice twisty roads (not as twisty as southwood but clean at least) a bit farther north.

Last edited:
I was on Southwood Rd yesterday in my car. I highly advise all riders to avoid it.

Just did a Kawarthas -> Southwood -> Killbear Prov Park yesterday.

Southwood is OK at the Beginning/End of the road but the middle is pretty bad. Every Suggested speed turn has a **** load of loose gravel and sand but the long sweepers are clean. Some area in the Kawarthas Lakes area is undergoing construction - 100% mud/soil when I went by a couple sections - they were redoing the road completely so hopefully they finish fast.

Some of the curves in Southwood also get fully covered in sand mid-turn in some instances.

Instead of going Southwood, there are some nice twisty roads (not as twisty as southwood but clean at least) a bit farther north.

And the roads you recommend are?

Rather than just live with the fact that the road is a mess, why not do something about it? We all pay taxes right? I sent the following email to the Muskoka Work Department...

"Greetings,

I am emailing to advise you of a dangerous situation on Southwood Road (Muskoka Road Hwy 13). I'm not sure if you are responsible for this road, but there is a ton of sand all over this road and it has clearly not been cleaned or swept this year. This is a highly travelled road for motorcyclists and will eventually lead to an accident or death with this amount of sand in the corners. Can you please look into and advise if this is your responsibility and when it will be cleaned?

Most appreciated."

Good luck on that one.

They are going to drag a road sweeper in that road, just so you can haul *** through there.

I recall the local barrie riding club hiring a road sweeper and paying for it themselves. Ive been through that road twice this year, and both times the OPP are set up radar or patrolling it.

And the roads you recommend are?

Tbh, I'm not sure lol, I just take a gamble of where to go depending if it looks twisty on my GPS and go from there xD But Southwood is definately a no-go.

I liked the road leading up to killbear PP, there were nice long sweepers with a 70km/h limit so you can have fun while staying out of HTA172 territory :p Only prob is that you have to backtrack if you go down that road - it is a good rest stop though.

PS. For those who watched LoneRonin's video, Southwood is 10x worse than that now. (Not exaggerating) If you take some of the corners at speed limit, you'd likely go down.

Last edited:
oh well, who needs dangerous public roads where there is the "still dangerous but less so" track.

Last edited:
Tbh, I'm not sure lol, I just take a gamble of where to go depending if it looks twisty on my GPS and go from there xD But Southwood is definately a no-go.

I liked the road leading up to killbear PP, there were nice long sweepers with a 70km/h limit so you can have fun while staying out of HTA172 territory :p Only prob is that you have to backtrack if you go down that road - it is a good rest stop though.

PS. For those who watched LoneRonin's video, Southwood is 10x worse than that now. (Not exaggerating) If you take some of the corners at speed limit, you'd likely go down.

Yeah, highway 559. It's a really good spot. I grew up around that area and still have friends and family living there. I was riding on the long weekend with a good friend and we ended up taking 559 and then turning right onto Dillon. It was a lot of fun, very challenging.

I'd also recommend checking out:

Hwy 632 (As twisty as it gets just outside Rosseau)
Swords Rd
Blackstone Crane Lake Rd (Repaved a few years back)
Hwy 518
Shebeshekong Rd

Yeah, highway 559. It's a really good spot. I grew up around that area and still have friends and family living there. I was riding on the long weekend with a good friend and we ended up taking 559 and then turning right onto Dillon. It was a lot of fun, very challenging.

I'd also recommend checking out:

Hwy 632 (As twisty as it gets just outside Rosseau)
Swords Rd
Blackstone Crane Lake Rd (Repaved a few years back)
Hwy 518
Shebeshekong Rd

Yeah, thats what it was 559. xD

I'm having trouble finding 632.
Swords Rd looks unpaved from google street view...
Blackstone Crane Lake rd doesn't have any street view pics but does look like a fun road to be on.

You must be looking at the wrong Swords Rd then, there is no streetview for it on google maps either. The one I'm thinking of is actually called Tally Ho/Swords Rd. Take 400 -> Hwy 141 east for a few kms, then it's on your left going north. It's a good connection between 632 and 518

Just did a long ride up that way - here's the route

Big Chute was good, with a few minor sandy spots, but most of the sand was gone compared to a few weeks ago. Does anyone know when boats usually go across the locks there?

Peninsula Rd/632 was great if I remember right - PLau: here it is

Swords Rd was great - PLau: here it is

518 was pretty sandy in spots, especially at some of the tightest 1st gear turns.

McDougall Rd and Bunny Trail and Hwy 520 west of Magnetewan were awesome.

Nipissing Trail was awesome - I did the section between Magnetewan > 518 and 1/3 is paved chip seal, 1/3 is hard packed gravel and 1/3 of it is fresh gravel that is compacted in the tire tracks.

Ravenscliffe Rd had a good amount of sand for most of it's length.

Hwy 35 was spotless as usual.

Kushog Lake Road, Watts Trail and Harburn Road had lots of sand on them, but out of all the roads we hit up, they were still my favourite roads to ride and we took them as fast as we could. Sport bikes and cruiser could have a problem on the really sandy roads, but any bike with an upright position should have fun.

Back
Top Bottom