Motorcycle industry is in deep trouble and needs help fast | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle industry is in deep trouble and needs help fast

what macdoc said.

Remember youngins, the things you own end up owning you.

So working towards a "goal" is envy to get into a big overpriced house and never get out in the world as you have to scrimp and save to pay the bank....not my cuppa

Nothing big and overpriced. I just need a garage, for obvious reasons and for work.

Rent in my area is far more than I pay for my mortgage. My wife works in a bank. The amount of people that come in on a Friday night and need their paycheck cashed or else they can't make their payments is astounding. That is buying what you don't need and being a slave to the bank.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Well I'm in Orangeville, have a spotless record with over 40 years of riding experience, have a '97 ST1100 (gentleman's express) and just got my insurance renewal. It's a few dollars over $1000.00 for the year for coverage that doesn't include collision. I'm seriously beginning to consider selling my bike and giving up riding.

My '98 vtr1000f is almost a grand for liability only. I guess if a lot of people wrecked them in the day, then the rate goes up. Probably the same with the ST. Probably not a lot of crash data on newer higher end bikes to inflate the rates.

Newer machines with all the electronics are safer than our old bikes, or at least insurance must view it that way.

Apparently millennials are buying cars.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/30/millennials-like-buying-cars-after-all.html

My interest in MC came from having a friend with a minibike. We lived in a rural community (North Pickering) so it was natural to go riding. Even my friends in the subdivisions to the south had dirtbikes, as the trails weren't far away. That said, of the 6 guys that I rode with only 2 of us still ride. Ii ride both on and off road, and my friend rides off road only after 20 years away from MC's.

I think the lack of this type of entry point is the primary issue in the decline, but having said that motorcycling has ALWAYS been a marginal pastime. The participation numbers ebb and flow.

Perhaps the issue is that we live in an era where shareholders and executives expect constant and continuous growth and view anything else as complete failure/disaster.

Macdoc is definitely not young.

There has to be a balance. I haven't been on a vacation in years. I go up to my parents cottage for a week in the summer, but I have never gone on a true do-nothing, sit on a beach and drink vacation.

Motorcycle trips.

I own a townhouse. Bought it as a dump nearly 9 years ago and am still fixing it. Got to live somewhere, so might as well own it.

I want to get out of here and into a house with a garage, but homes in my area are 800,000+.

I can see it being very discouraging for anyone entering into the housing market.

I ride cheap bikes, and learned long ago to wrench on them myself out of necessity.

Cut back on extravagance, work towards a goal.

Not everyone has the same goals that you do!

With cars nowadays having 400 hp or more there is much fun to be had without messing up the hair doo...lol
I bought a nice car and 2 weeks later insurance was cancelled and bike stuffed in the corner of the garage
I stopped riding for 15 years got back into it 6 years ago and now am done riding just not worth it anymore....bad roads...hyper popo.... inflated insurance rates and the public's view of motorcycles dont help with all the yahoos on bikes nowadays.
I get the same thrills if not more rippin corners with the car with a doobie and a coffee now thats impossible on 2 wheels:D

With cars nowadays having 400 hp or more there is much fun to be had without messing up the hair doo...lol
I bought a nice car and 2 weeks later insurance was cancelled and bike stuffed in the corner of the garage
I stopped riding for 15 years got back into it 6 years ago and now am done riding just not worth it anymore....bad roads...hyper popo.... inflated insurance rates and the public's view of motorcycles dont help with all the yahoos on bikes nowadays.
I get the same thrills if not more rippin corners with the car with a doobie and a coffee now thats impossible on 2 wheels:D

but chicks dig bikes

and you cant lean a car ;)

There is a lot of factors. There is insurance for sure. There is also a lot of competing recreation activities that segments the market.

Garages remain the same but there are more toys to choose from.

Snow machines, quads, dirt bikes, watercraft, convertible or sport cars etc.

There are multiple motorcycles. Adventure, naked, SS, Classic, retro, cruiser, touring etc.

30 years ago, it was simple. Beer store and Motorcycle and maybe a decent stereo.

There is just more stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but chicks dig bikes

and you cant lean a car ;)

Already have me one of those chick thingys :rolleyes: and no need for leaning its about the thrills for me. I know all my entry and exit speeds from the corners up in this neck of the woods from the bike and the car trumps it anytime and oooh man that exhaust... blipping... rev matching just sounds heavenly. Bike what bike?

.... I get the same thrills if not more rippin corners with the car with a doobie and a coffee now thats impossible on 2 wheels:D
I like to hard accelerate in second or third gear at 4 foot high vertical rock faces with very little run-up, now That is a real thrill and totally impossible to do on 4 wheels! :D

The street legal sportbike industry in Ontario and many other parts of Canada is doomed and it all boils down to one single problem; the methodology and prohibitive cost of sportbike insurance, but I can hard accelerate in second or third gear at 4 foot high vertical rock face on my dirt bike and no insurance is required. My sportbike has Never crashed and my dirt bikes I crash regularly :/ guess which one is cheaper and more fun to ride!

... Snow machines, quads, dirt bikes, watercraft, convertible or sport cars etc. ...
Every one of them requires it's own insurance coverage and the cost of each of those is based on insurance profit margins, yet you can only operate one of your vehicles at any given time.
30 years ago we always had all that stuff, you just never insured it!

I like to hard accelerate in second or third gear at 4 foot high vertical rock faces with very little run-up, now That is a real thrill and totally impossible to do on 4 wheels! :D
Can you pull that off whilst having a coffee and a doobie??

Not everyone has the same goals that you do!
Not saying anyone has to.

Just that your goals, whatever they may be, are attainable.

Through hard work, and compromise.

If someone wants to ride, instead of what you want, ride what you can afford.

Different people, different goals.

The only examples I can give first hand are my own experiences, based on my own goals.

... too much coffee messes me up

The price to performance comparison is far better on 2 wheels, already have a daily car , far cheaper to get a fast bike than a faster car.

This guy's points basically match my own: ...
Somehow it just don't seem right to criticize millennials for wasting too much time on electronic devices and entertainment,
and then post a you tube video about it :rolleyes: ... I only watched part of it, did he crash or do wheelies or anything exciting?

Not saying anyone has to.

Just that your goals, whatever they may be, are attainable.

Through hard work, and compromise.

If someone wants to ride, instead of what you want, ride what you can afford.

Different people, different goals.

The only examples I can give first hand are my own experiences, based on my own goals.

I could'nt agree more. As long as you have no regrets you've made the right choices for you.

Back
Top Bottom