Motorcycle industry is in deep trouble and needs help fast | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle industry is in deep trouble and needs help fast

Although true, travelling at 21 is a good way to ensure you can't afford a house at 30 either. With the retarded market in the GTA you need to get in to something as early as possible (even if it's just a crappy condo). Even at minimum wage, taking a few months to travel is probably close to a 10K hit. I'm not judging peoples life choices, travelling has many benefits but there is a measurable effect on financials throughout the rest of your life if you make that choice.

and you become a totally inexperienced boring work clone beholden to the banks.....**** that. Who gives a **** about a house....warped ****ing mindset.

......snip.....

Glad I grew up when I did.

and I as well

grew up in Brampton and we all had dirt bikes or could borrow one
would go to The Pits, just across Heart Lake Road, and ride
the pits had filled with water and we'd swim there too during summer break
and into the teenage years have our field parties there

@Joe Bass you prolly know this place

upon turning 16 we all got driving ASAP
don't know how, as a teenager, to go about getting laid with a bicycle

our species might be doomed by this generation
are they capable of reproducing?

Last edited:
and you become a totally inexperienced boring work clone beholden to the banks.....**** that. Who gives a **** about a house....warped ****ing mindset.

I’m really not sure if you being serious or sarcastic. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m really not sure if you being serious or sarcastic. Haha.

Probably being serious.
Lots of younger folks with that mindset.
Just because home ownership is important to you.. doesn't mean it is to everyone else.

Probably being serious.
Just because home ownership is important to you.. doesn't mean it is to everyone else.

That’s fair.

Probably being serious.
Macdoc is definitely not young.

There has to be a balance. I haven't been on a vacation in years. I go up to my parents cottage for a week in the summer, but I have never gone on a true do-nothing, sit on a beach and drink vacation.

Motorcycle trips.

I own a townhouse. Bought it as a dump nearly 9 years ago and am still fixing it. Got to live somewhere, so might as well own it.

I want to get out of here and into a house with a garage, but homes in my area are 800,000+.

I can see it being very discouraging for anyone entering into the housing market.

I ride cheap bikes, and learned long ago to wrench on them myself out of necessity.

Cut back on extravagance, work towards a goal.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

油井緋色;2539941 said:
You realize your generation is going to die. Then my generation is going to be calling the next generation snowflakes?

Only if you wrap them in cotton and never let them take a chance.

Macdoc is definitely not young.

There has to be a balance. I haven't been on a vacation in years. I go up to my parents cottage for a week in the summer, but I have never gone on a true do-nothing, sit on a beach and drink vacation.

Motorcycle trips.

I own a townhouse. Bought it as a dump nearly 9 years ago and am still fixing it. Got to live somewhere, so might as well own it.

I want to get out of here and into a house with a garage, but homes in my area are 800,000+.

I can see it being very discouraging for anyone entering into the housing market.

I ride cheap bikes, and learned long ago to wrench on them myself out of necessity.

Cut back on extravagance, work towards a goal.

I should add, technically I'm not a millennial, I was born a year before that bunch... but my brother and sister are, and they both own houses and work hard. I do have an entitled step sister that fits the millennial stereotype to a T. Dropped out of College and Uni 6 times, not on her own $$... Doesn't have two nickels to rub together, still lives at home at nearly 27. Bubble wrap single child; and her aunts and uncles are all D.I.N.K.S., so she thinks she will get all their money... she's probably not wrong either... yay entitlement!

Cares more about her phone and partying than her future.

I was watching TVO one night, Steve Pakin is pretty bright sometimes, and they brought up the issue of home ownership for the next generation. Basically the consensus was they have given up on the idea. Mostly too expensive, other priorities, not being tied down, and saddled with debit from education.

This ties in well with ownership or lack of it for transportation needs. Also too expensive and easier to use car sharing services.

There is something to be said about home ownership, and the "get er done" attitude all mentioned and kudos to those who made it a goal and achieved it. I too am a home owner and much happier living this way instead of someone eles's way. Also mentioned the prices of homes are out of wack. Something has to give. It seems unsustainable that all the costs associated around owning a home, car, insurance etc. keep rising quite quickly yet your income doesn't. Either it continues this way and the gap between upper and middle class widens or it breaks.

Not all millennials are like the ones being described.My kids and most of their friends are the opposite.The media and the internet have just put the focus on the negative side as usual.

Back on topic.MC manufacturers come and go thru the ages.There are lots in the early yrs that are not around anymore.And it will repeat the cycle many times.

And to that point ... Once upon a time, the European manufacturers of the day dominated. Then they got stuck in a rut, and the Japanese manufacturers took over.

Now the Japanese manufacturers are stuck in a rut (a different one, but a rut nonetheless), and today's European manufacturers are doing decently. KTM used to be nowhere. Aprilia was nowhere. Ducati used to be a small niche manufacturer. The modern iteration of Triumph didn't exist until the 1980s. The modern iteration of MV Agusta, even later than that (and yes, they're in trouble, but that's nothing new for that brand). BMW has always been BMW.

Lucky you. In early 1990 it was 14% !!!!

Yes that’s true. The made in Canada recession. Stopped the real-estate boom over night. People were walking away from there houses and mortgages.

Interesting article and not surprised to read it. If this is in the states, I can only imagine how much worse it is in Canada.

There's just so many factors at play it's nearly impossible to pin point it to only one or two things, but here's my thoughts. Being a millennial with three bikes currently (acquired over the years) and have ridden pretty much all of my life (since I was 7), I am now for the first time finding it easier than ever to see a future without bikes in my life. I'm confident I'll fight away these horrid thoughts because of the passion I have for riding, but at the end of the day motorcycles are not practical and for that reason become disposable for most when the times warrant it.

Now that I've moved into my own house, have a son (with another kid in our future plans), and both my wife and I are working our ***** of, I'm learning for the first time in my life that motorcycles can become an inconvenience of sorts. Our ever more increasingly hectic schedules make it harder to find the time to ride, let alone fix and maintain them. This year, putting the bikes away for storage brought some relief for the first time in my life - a very odd feeling. I now understand more than ever why motorcycling takes a long multi-decade hiatus for many (if they do ever actually return to it one day). Comparing cars to motorcycles like the video stats show, is not even a fair comparison. You don't see people taking a hiatus from driving like they do with motorcycles. Everyone in North America needs a car for practicality well before they need a bike. And when a bike becomes secondary by our own lifestyle choices, it's a only a matter of time.

Looking at parts of Asia, etc. isn't a fair comparison as a motorcycle/scooter is actually more practical than a car due to the insane congestion they're dealing with, etc. Different lifestyles and cultures warrant different needs.

Not sure exactly what I'm saying here, maybe it's that its clear to me that the motorcycling industry is in fact doomed in North America... at least for the large mass targeted, mass manufacturing scale that the manufacturers are trying so desperately to achieve.

Last edited:
Most of my riding mileage is commuting. So there's that. Mostly cause it's free parking in the city for bikes.

Cut back on extravagance, work towards a goal

So working towards a "goal" is envy to get into a big overpriced house and never get out in the world as you have to scrimp and save to pay the bank....not my cuppa

This is - travel the world ..do things at my own pace
https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

Also mentioned the prices of homes are out of wack. Something has to give. It seems unsustainable that all the costs associated around owning a home, car, insurance etc. keep rising quite quickly yet your income doesn't. Either it continues this way and the gap between upper and middle class widens or it breaks.

Ya think ??....and some younger people understand it and so do you.

•••

There will always be a strong two wheel component it's just diversified from the traditional motorcycle industry and North America is in no way representative of the world. Some one mentioned India .....the sales are astronomical and some cool old marques like Royal Enfield are the Yammie 250s and Honda 305s the boomers wanted.

royal-enfield-story_660_032513080948.jpg

Just as EV vehicles and driverless cars are going to overturn the car generation ....a multitude of wonderful two wheeled vehicles are already transforming cities from car domination and offering young people choices.

High tech bicycles and terrific eBikes and smaller eMotorcycles and scooters dominate Euro cities. Every traffic light in Barcelona looks like a Le Mans start ...and that's my photo because seeing the world was and is always my priority.........now the third time in Barcelona which is what Toronto could be in two wheel friendly. And every street looks like that.

v2

Filtering allowed, side walk parking allowed ...two wheel friendly.....other places like ultra flat Copenhagen have bicycle rush hour with thousands and thousands of two wheel bicycles and ebicycles totally overwhelming car traffic.

650-copenhagenize-2.jpg

Cyclists_at_red_2.jpg

You go to the commuter station like our GO .....there is no car parking ...but there hundreds upon hundreds of bicycles.

Do remember there are millions fewer young people now than in the boomer era and there are far more options for the ones enjoying two wheels now without all the hassles of licencing and insurance. We as motorcyclists don't see the eBikes, eScooters and rag on bicyclists but we aren't the mainstream at all.

The industry in North America is adjusting a bit with moves like the 300s etc as boomers downsize to lighter vehicles.
Touring will remain around but the industry priced itself out of the market which let the ADV bikes appeal ...Vstrom notably as affordable and flexible....and now a raft of 300 cc ADV bikes...the wildly successful Honda 500 series showed the direction.

There are hundreds of thousands of lovely useable used motorcycles out there ...why would anyone ...especially new riders cough up the admittance price for new..
My mechanic is swamped, my Honda dealer service is swamped with work....the sales floor pretty dead.

Motorcycles will persist tho some cities are already banning ICE versions ( China notably ).
Two wheel enthusiasm is still there ...there are just more choices.
The manufacturers will adapt or die.

Might be some bargains along the way ....already are at times. :D

For sure that has something to do with it. 17 years riding (since I was 19) But there wasn't much difference between the fz09 and the 1100 tuono rr. I was surprised. I guess not alot of riders wreck aprilias. More of a "gentlemen's express" I suppose.

Well I'm in Orangeville, have a spotless record with over 40 years of riding experience, have a '97 ST1100 (gentleman's express) and just got my insurance renewal. It's a few dollars over $1000.00 for the year for coverage that doesn't include collision. I'm seriously beginning to consider selling my bike and giving up riding. In my opinion the obscene cost of insurance in Ontario is the biggest problem for the motorcycle industry, at least in these parts.

Last edited:
Who are you with? - that seems very high. Similar experience, CBF1000. Have you got multiple coverage ? ie house and car as well with the same company ??

The 1000 is still yearly $559.
Contact Chris csouth@surnet.net

You are correct about Ontario being ridiculously high and yes it does affect ridership, however it is also boring terrain and GTA being a megalopolis third only to New York and LA. Intimidating traffic for new riders and poorly thought out laws for ebikes and small scooters.
Add in a relatively short riding season and you do need to be seriously engaged.
As someone mentioned earlier ...it's not just motorcycles ....a number of my younger friends and even my daughter and her squeeze even have licences and some with licences don't own vehicles by choice.

Not all millennials are like the ones being described.My kids and most of their friends are the opposite.The media and the internet have just put the focus on the negative side as usual.

Back on topic.MC manufacturers come and go thru the ages.There are lots in the early yrs that are not around anymore.And it will repeat the cycle many times.

The media is full of garbage and click bait news anyway, they do whatever they need to get attention for advertising and is often twisted. Only use my computer for games or movies and even here I use adblock so I never see advertisements for shiet I'll never need.

At 24, my car insurance is TWICE, this is with my as an occasional driver other wise its almost 3x as what I was quoted for a 300cc motorcycle which I'll be getting come Feb/Mar finally. Houses are overpriced here in Ontario, I'll probably move to the US eventually or near vancouver where the weather is warmer for more riding time.

Ontario insurance is a fkn mess...

Back
Top Bottom