Motorcycle Camping | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Camping

I use those ratched straps tying my bike down in my trailer. Much too large for tying things to a bike. Heavy and super powerful too. You could easily crush anything you would tie to a bike with those.

Yeah, I've used ratchet straps like that to lift my bike when replacing the front wheel. They are overkill for luggage purposes. =)

I like Arno straps for luggage. They don't take up any space and are only a couple of bucks. You can get them at camping stores like LeBaron.

Yeah, I've used ratchet straps like that to lift my bike when replacing the front wheel. They are overkill for luggage purposes. =)

I like Arno straps for luggage. They don't take up any space and are only a couple of bucks. You can get them at camping stores like LeBaron.

Thanks. So that and a net should be good right? Just got to make sure there is no give and check it at every rest stop.

I joined just to give a head up here. I work at Canadian Tire and a tip I'll give is never pay full price. Either wait for something to go on sale or negotiate with them.

If you're nice enough about it, they'll normally give last sale price to you.

I got my set of ratchet tie downs [4 piece] for 10 bucks. Used them to haul 2 kayaks on top of my car on a 3 hour drive [both ways] this summer with no issues.

Roc Straps for the win. I used them last year and they are fantastic; the elasticity prevents them from loosening and having gear fly off. Trust me, I used to use the other straps used by those riders posted above me and had my tent fly off the back of my bike. It will never happen with Roc straps.

I have never had an issue with cargo nets. Though I did not pack up very high when I had my Honda. I use it all the time when packing up on my GS, though I do have a topcase that it can rest and its all stuffed in a dry bag so individual things don't fall out. You cant go wrong with the Roc Straps either. You will figure out what works best for you after a few times of packing up and heading out.

Roc Straps for the win. I used them last year and they are fantastic; the elasticity prevents them from loosening and having gear fly off. Trust me, I used to use the other straps used by those riders posted above me and had my tent fly off the back of my bike. It will never happen with Roc straps.

+lots for Rok straps. I have two sets, one for the bike and the other for the cage's roof rack. I've had all sorts of odd shaped stuff securely strapped to the back of the bike. I do at least one bike camping trip a year, and usually strap two drybags to the pillion seat. Once the straps are tightened the load isn't going anywhere!

http://www.dualsportplus.com/straps/rok_straps.html

I've used inferior elastic cords that stretch under use, and that includes some of the inexpensive cargo nets that sag out of shape and lose their elasticity.

I bought a set of "bungee" branded cords at a Price Club in the states that I still have and use, with only one failure when I kicked it off the passenger peg mount with my foot on a very long and boring ride.

I picked up a set of Rok straps at the December show and will try them out this May on a four day trip to Virginia and back.

I still carry a bit of 1/4 inch braided cord, enough to lash the load onto the bike if need be. It packs into a size smaller than my fist and is good insurance imho. I tend to loan it out to other riders that rely on inferior straps.

Those ratchet and cam buckle straps? If you are okay with crushing your gear down, and don't mind that a load shift might cause and end to fly off, then you'll probably be okay. I don't care to use them on the bike, but I here that they work great at pulling a stuck bike out of a mudhole or hanging it from a tree to remove rims for patch repairs.

I like to be able to take a wee jump or two on my fugly bike knowing that my gear is still there, so I use two bungee cords criss crossed, and one on either side of my load as insurance. Later on I'll stuff a rain jacket or a water bottle under them between stops. It works for me. The rok straps have loop ends, so they stay on the bike when you unclip the buckles. They look really serious and as if the buckles and elastic will hold up to my redneck abuse. :)

I've used bungee nets with no issues, but got Roc Straps last year and really love them.

I've read that when travelling if you ask local people (especially farmers) if there is a spot to "set up my tent for the night" you might find they immediately say over on their field over yonder. If you ask if there is a spot where you can camp for the nigt you will probably get no help. The word "camp" often makes people think about drunken partying around a campfire whereas "settign up a tent" sounds much more benign.

I haven't done any trips where I have camped enroute (hotels in the USA have been SO cheap and include a decent breakfast so for two it is pretty cheap to hotel it) but have setup my tent at destinations a few times. My three man Eureka, two Wiggy Sleeping bags, insulated mattress, pillows plus a sleeping bag liner (I haven't needed it) and a little camp chair all fit in one dry bag that I strap to my rear seat. (I have sidecases but generally hate using them.) Clothes and everything else goes in the topcase. (I have not yet cooked while tenting.) (BTW, if the tent was wet it could strap on outside of the wet bag or in one of the garbage bags I take for these kind of occasions.)

..Tom

I stopped using bungee cords years ago and rely on CDN Tire cam buckle straps. You do not need to crush all your gear down to get them to stay, they simply have to be snug enough so as not to allow it to shift. They will not loosen off, either, if you take a minute to loop the loose end into a knot directly below the cam once everything is in place. I have gone down some pretty wild trails on my Ural and have never had anything fly off while using these straps, same thing on my Harley on trips out to the east coast and back. Bungee cords have an unpleasant effect of allowing your gear to bounce around when you hit an unexpected bump, plus they are non-adjustable for different load heights/widths unless you knot them shorter which effectively ruins them. For small, lightweight items bungee cords/nets are good to use, but heavy, bulky gear is much safer when secured with straps.

I just use a smaller bungee cord and pull it really tight to avoid having things shift when you hit a bump. Unfortunately they lose their elasticity rather quickly this way. I'll have to get me some Rok Straps I think.

I recently found myself with a desire to get a Ural ST but I don't think I could justify to myself spending extra money on what I see as a lower-tech and lower performance bike. Maybe if they'd let me just trade my 650 straight up for it but I don't think that's gonna happen. I'd also look funny on it in full leathers (then again, a lot of people think anyone in full leathers that isn't on an SS, and even then, looks funny).

I recently found myself with a desire to get a Ural ST but I don't think I could justify to myself spending extra money on what I see as a lower-tech and lower performance bike.

Moot point anyway... Ural Canada will not be importing the ST.

What are you guys using for camping chairs?

I'm looking at getting one for a trip on the Trans Labrador Highway but buying one at Mec for $80 had me staggering in price shock. I used to use a ten dollar folding camp chair from Canadian tire, but it's too heavy for this sort of trip.

Currently I use whatever I can find, or at times I bring along a folding chair that is massive and I hate bringing it. I am looking at this from mec:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...4442620573&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302701547

The downside is no backrest to chill out with in comfort at the end of the day, that doesn't concern me to much at the moment though. Its small portable and relatively cheap.

I have something like that i got a Canadian Tire last summer and I think it was $4.99 or so.

..Tom

I have a small one without extending legs I got @ the dollar store. Better than sitting on the ground. I lean against a wall or Tree etc. The trade off in size is worth it.

What are you guys using for camping chairs?

I'm looking at getting one for a trip on the Trans Labrador Highway but buying one at Mec for $80 had me staggering in price shock. I used to use a ten dollar folding camp chair from Canadian tire, but it's too heavy for this sort of trip.

A cheapo from CTC is what I use. It has a back and it's not that heavy..

Also why all the ratchet strap haters? Of course I don't cinch it so tight as ruin my own gear.

Like loading a bike on a trailer grab the load and shake it - just like shaking a bike on a trailer should cause the trailer to move, if the load moves the bike your good. I don't think that's the case for alot of stuff held with bungee nets. That said a single bungee net is how I get beer home from the store....

i decided that motorcycle camping is really the way to go. if you factor in the cost of hotels and restaurants it really diminishes the number of different trips you can take. i licked the whole how do i load it question by picking up a used motorcycle tent trailer. makes life quite abit easier and behind the Valkyrie Interstate you dont even know it is there!
making at least 1 if not 2 or all 3 of your meals gives you alot more freedom. my wife is diabetic and although she controls her diabetes with her diet alone it is something we should all be careful with. camping in a public park in Canada and thinking it is crown land is one of the funniest things i have ever heard! campgrounds in the states are so cheap and typically nice so why woudlnt you use them? New York state has awesome riding and great scenery and some evry interesting history and people. Quebec is right there and it really is like a different world in many ways. so much that is so close to us. we are truly fortunate. so good to read this thread and start getting pumped up for summer again!

I tried several tent, and found the best one for my use so far.
I'm intrigued by the hennesy hammock , is it possible or even comfortable to sleep 2?

Back
Top Bottom