Motorcycle Camping | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Camping

I will look into that then. Its just I am a creature of habbit, once something works for me, I dont tend to find a better solution

CAMPING ON A BUDGET!!?!?!? LOL. Pop can stoves!??!!? LOL.

I must admit that bivy was cool, except that whole "doesnt breathe" thing. No point. Wet is wet.

The canoe bags are great. You can also buy smaller barrel bags and bungie them on. NEVER get wet inside. Very tough. Another goodie for food is olive barrels. They are great for a weekend trip. about 1/3rd the size of the smaller food barrels usually sold in MEC and such.

http://www.myccr.com/images/Images_Gear/OliveBarrel.jpg

You can often get then from the supermarket. FREE!!! Small enough to bungie on somewhere, and you can put a hole through the lid, some paracord, and it's in a tree for the night.

Getting soft.
I'm going to convert my little cargo trailer to flatbed with footprint sized to my tent ground sheet. Will tow bike to campground. Set tent on trailer. Trailer will have corner jacks for leveling and a big storage box over the tongue for all caming gear.
Still trying to brainstorm a clean design tarp system to cover the whole smear.

CAMPING ON A BUDGET!!?!?!? LOL. Pop can stoves!??!!? LOL.

I must admit that bivy was cool, except that whole "doesnt breathe" thing. No point. Wet is wet.

The canoe bags are great. You can also buy smaller barrel bags and bungie them on. NEVER get wet inside. Very tough. Another goodie for food is olive barrels. They are great for a weekend trip. about 1/3rd the size of the smaller food barrels usually sold in MEC and such.

http://www.myccr.com/images/Images_Gear/OliveBarrel.jpg

You can often get then from the supermarket. FREE!!! Small enough to bungie on somewhere, and you can put a hole through the lid, some paracord, and it's in a tree for the night.

Yep, camping on a "stay the hell out of Mec and save" type of budget. Everyone has a budget, some people include things like thermarest, whisperlite, eureka and msr while others use Glad, woods and heet gas line antifreeze.

The pepsi can stoves rock, and will boil two cups of water in just over six minutes. Let's see, that means you need to drink to cans of pop, have a knife, and a thumbtack to make a stove that weighs in under two ounces. Google "Sterno" and "Trangia". If you're going to boil in the bag at low altitude, you can obtain a stove, windscreen and potstand along with fuel for about ten dollars if you diy. If you prefer fleabay, raise that price to around fifteen dollars.
The tyvek bivvy sac breathes. The whole concept is that it will pass water vapour through, but not allow water in. Frogg Toggs are made from Tyvek, as are a lot of disposable hospital clothing, concert wristbands, reusable
shopping bags etc etc.

Use four bungee cords of a good make. Two to hold the article on, two more as a "just in case" and "darn, what am I going to do with my duty free?"

You can also use para cord or nylon clothesline that they sell in Canadian tire. It's super cheap, won't stretch much, and you can tie down just about anything onto a bike. I sometimes carry ten feet with me as it's really light and takes up no room.

If you've got more money then grab some ROK straps to secure your olive barrel, which sounds like a great idea for a bear proof campsite.

The pop can stove is a great trick for around the fire. If i was that budget concious i would just light some wood. My whisperlight was $35bucks. The BEST cooking tool i have ever bought. Will likely own it for the rest of my life. Simple. Fast. Light. But the can trick is neat. True enough.

I have read about the using Tyvek for a bivy. Most of the posts i read say it does not breathe enough for a warm body in a cold environment. It does breathe. Just not enough.

Hospital tyvek stuff does not breathe. LOL. Ever. It is one of the most uncomfortable materials to wear.

If you are going to get paracord, get the real deal. The 500 stuff. THey sell it in 50foot lengths for around $15. The real stuff is amazing. Light and cheap. The "sash cord" stuff used for stage rigging and such (usually with a cotton feeling outer shell) is crap. Ok. Well not crap, but aint this stuff, and usually the same price.

Yep, camping on a "stay the hell out of Mec and save" type of budget. Everyone has a budget, some people include things like thermarest, whisperlite, eureka and msr while others use Glad, woods and heet gas line antifreeze.

The pepsi can stoves rock, and will boil two cups of water in just over six minutes. Let's see, that means you need to drink to cans of pop, have a knife, and a thumbtack to make a stove that weighs in under two ounces. Google "Sterno" and "Trangia". If you're going to boil in the bag at low altitude, you can obtain a stove, windscreen and potstand along with fuel for about ten dollars if you diy. If you prefer fleabay, raise that price to around fifteen dollars.
The tyvek bivvy sac breathes. The whole concept is that it will pass water vapour through, but not allow water in. Frogg Toggs are made from Tyvek, as are a lot of disposable hospital clothing, concert wristbands, reusable
shopping bags etc etc.

Use four bungee cords of a good make. Two to hold the article on, two more as a "just in case" and "darn, what am I going to do with my duty free?"

You can also use para cord or nylon clothesline that they sell in Canadian tire. It's super cheap, won't stretch much, and you can tie down just about anything onto a bike. I sometimes carry ten feet with me as it's really light and takes up no room.

If you've got more money then grab some ROK straps to secure your olive barrel, which sounds like a great idea for a bear proof campsite.

Don't trust bungee nets for anything more than light stuff - The people behind you will appreciate it

K so bungee nets wont work. What will then?
I once bungee netted a case of beer, two xbox controllers and 3 games (xbox controllers and games were not in a bag or anything) to the seat of my bike and didn't lose anything...

Usually I just use a backpack with two bungee cords crossed over it on the back seat and never have had an issue with losing anything. I even went down with it strapped on that way and everything stayed in place. The coffee got crushed though.

Regarding Tyveks and how it breathes - I was part owner of a composites shop (fiberglass to the layman).

Workers wore Tyvek disposable coverall and hot humid days they would put big rips in the back to try and stay cooler. Guys T shirts would be soaked when they removed their coveralls on a hot day.

Thanks so much unL33T and gpz1100, so happy that I don't have to waste any money on getting a proper tail bag:D Got to get me some bungee cords and net. Can't wait for spring!!!

All this talk about camping makes me just want to pitch a tent outside and camp. Cant wait for spring.

Aside from caffeine machine my next upgrade is stove, Looking for multi fuel ones.
have been using this http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...0762103P/Emergency%2BHeat%2BKit.jsp?locale=en
I find it good enough but too slow for heat up for my coffee. I used it to cook egg and steak and it was ok. The fuel is compact and wont spill.

fixed. i need a rainfly.:)

Last edited:
Well you can hollow out a squirrels scull and burn old engine oil if you are on a budget......OR......

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/expedition-stoves/whisperlite-internationale/product

OR you can say piss on the multifuel ones....like you are going to burn diesel at some point, and get the $70 whisperlight.

will last for years.

All this talk about camping makes me just want to pitch my tent outside and camp. Cant wait for spring.

Aside from caffeine machine my next upgrade is stove, Looking for multi fuel ones.
have been using this http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...0762103P/Emergency%2BHeat%2BKit.jsp?locale=en
I find it good enough but too slow for heat up for my coffee. I used it to cook egg and steak and it was ok. The fuel is compact and wont spill.

Thanks so much unL33T and gpz1100, so happy that I don't have to waste any money on getting a proper tail bag:D Got to get me some bungee cords and net. Can't wait for spring!!!

Just get a good cheap gym bag with a stiff base and use the exsisting D ring as attatchment point for bungee , +bungee over the bag through the strap to bungee it securely on the back seat with your stuffs packed inside.
Always remember to protect your paint wherever bungee meets paint.

Last edited:
Just drop a match in your tank and get those marshmallows ready!

Or wrap meat with foil and secure to your engine/pipe. After 3 hrs ride its well done. Remember to park your bike far away from your tent.

Well you can hollow out a squirrels scull and burn old engine oil if you are on a budget......OR......

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/expedition-stoves/whisperlite-internationale/product

OR you can say piss on the multifuel ones....like you are going to burn diesel at some point, and get the $70 whisperlight.

will last for years.

I have something like that but I payed around $40 for it and it is the kind that the canister screws on from under. I do have a cool pot and it comes with 4 bowls and a strainer top for pasta and it all fits into the pot and the bag that holds the pot can be used as a wash basin.

Here is the new version of it at MEC http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...4442629466&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302696309

Here is the stove I have and it folds up nicely and fits in the palm of my hand (with out the canister attached of course). http://www.europebound.com/ProductD...DeptID=119&CatID=346&iType=False&fromPage=vmd

When it gets dark slip into one of these teepees:

teepee.jpg

rockyau.jpg

Don't know if you can see from photo above but I was able to make a temporary storage on top of the fixed storage with my mesh. It's where I keep my slippers, food, drinks and whatever I need to pull out while I'm on break. Everything you see on the bike was for a month long trip. I had my tent and sleeping bag with me. Along with numerous parts and tools just in case the bike broke down. I even brought a syphon because it's hard to find an open gas station at night.

Back
Top Bottom