MotoGP 2014 | Page 64 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MotoGP 2014

I've done some performance tuning on my server (after getting a few PM's about slow download speed and choppy streaming).

I really underestimated the load that streaming puts on the server! When streaming (say in VLC player), it opens many connections to the server and downloads the file in little blocks using many requests. I had nginx locked down to a single "worker" and tight memory limits but this caused problems with people streaming the videos. I've opened it up so it can use all 8 cores and as much memory as it wants and it appears to be working much better. I REALLY don't want to disable streaming because these files work so flawlessly on phones, media players, etc. and if I disable streaming you'd have to fully save the file to your device before being able to play it.

Let me know if you have performance problems when we get around to Valencia.

I've done some performance tuning on my server (after getting a few PM's about slow download speed and choppy streaming).

I really underestimated the load that streaming puts on the server! When streaming (say in VLC player), it opens many connections to the server and downloads the file in little blocks using many requests. I had nginx locked down to a single "worker" and tight memory limits but this caused problems with people streaming the videos. I've opened it up so it can use all 8 cores and as much memory as it wants and it appears to be working much better. I REALLY don't want to disable streaming because these files work so flawlessly on phones, media players, etc. and if I disable streaming you'd have to fully save the file to your device before being able to play it.

I got bell fibe 25 with unlimited download and upload I can host come stuff if you want

I got bell fibe 25 with unlimited download and upload I can host come stuff if you want
Is it 25 up and down? Can you not get Fibe 50 (double the speed for only $8/mo more)? I remember when they very first announced fibe it was supposed to be 25 up and down, then it was 25 down and 10 up. My friend has fibe 25 and gets 23 down and 1 up :( My server has 250 up so in comparison to a residential internet connection your 10 up (or less) would be like a drop in the pond. If you get FTTH/Fibe 175 (instead of FTTN) then we can talk! Or goggle fiber needs to come here :(

Post up your http://speedtest.net link or image, i.e.

3848370161.png

Woot for ISP from China :( $65/mo unlimited though! :)

Last edited:
Was just about to post the same. Yamaha has definitely found something, but it's not in the brute force department... Maybe Honda was just faster down the straights because their traction control got them off the corners better, and Yamaha has done something there... Outside of that, I am not sure... because mxs' observation is certainly correct, the Yamaha is hanging with the Honda on the straightaways the last few races, in an obvious stark difference to the last ... 40 or 50 races

I forgot about the freeze on mechanical development of the engines ... that makes it even more interesting, as far as how did Yamaha pulled the very visible gap from the beg. of the season? So I guess Yamaha was waiting for a new fuel map for their Power Commander to make more power without engine modification ... :)

The very good indicator of HP is the horsepower hill in Brno at the end of the lap. There was no advantage Honda had there this year, actually the Yamaha's were catching them up at the top of the hill. Every other point and shoot track with hairpins and long straights would generally be a Honda track, was showing Yamaha equal to Honda.

The only remaining little advantage seems to be stability under braking, but seems to be only when harder tire is desirable ... so probably hardly a meaningful factor over all.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, at least it's more about riders rather than superior machinery ....

Is it 25 up and down? Can you not get Fibe 50 (double the speed for only $8/mo more)? I remember when they very first announced fibe it was supposed to be 25 up and down, then it was 25 down and 10 up. My friend has fibe 25 and gets 23 down and 1 up :( My server has 250 up so in comparison to a residential internet connection your 10 up (or less) would be like a drop in the pond. If you get FTTH/Fibe 175 (instead of FTTN) then we can talk! Or goggle fiber needs to come here :(

Post up your http://speedtest.net link or image, i.e.

3848370161.png

Woot for ISP from China :( $65/mo unlimited though! :)

Nice numbers! How reliable is the connection?

I don't think there's anything new implemented for next season, so I think 2015 will be VERY interesting!

This is what I was thinking too.

If the Yamahas and Hondas remain so close to each other in performance 2015 could be a really great season!

I figured that Rossi would win some more races after coming back to Yamaha but I didn't think he would challenge for a championship again. Now, maybe....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yamaha is working on the seamless transmission (Down Shifts) and that is supposed to resolve some of their Braking issues, if that is implemented for 2015 I think we have a good season in our hands.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/feature/207661/1/yamaha-working-on-seamless-downshifts.html

Nakamoto rejected the suggestion that there has been some form of technical breakthrough.

“Some people are saying Honda are doing something special, but the reality is not,” he declared. “Marc doesn't want to use the Honda traction control system - so our traction control system is the rider's right hand!”

Last edited:
Nice numbers! How reliable is the connection?
I've had ZERO problems with it so far!! I've only downloaded 2.2TB so far this month so haven't given it a complete workout yet, but I've only had the service for two months. This service is provided by vmedia cable internet: http://www.vmedia.ca/internet/

I'm using the Thomson DCM476 cable modem ($70 at Canada Computers). For a router I'm using an i5 desktop computer running pfSense (with traffic shaping for voip and IPTV) and a super sexy HP NC360T pci-e dual gigabit ethernet card.

It's quite a shock going from what I had with Rogers:

3556333058.png

But to save $200/mo it's worth it :)

(P.S. $200 is total monthly savings after switching from Rogers. Rogers cable TV $118 -> Vmedia IPTV $40 = $78/mo savings. Rogers Home Phone w/LD package $69/mo -> Xinflix $9/mo unlimited north america voip = $60/mo savings. Rogers Cable Internet 150 Unlim $130/mo -> vmedia 60 unlim $65/mo = $65/mo savings. Super happy so far!)

That's quite the difference! LOL

But the price per mb/s is pretty damn good! I'm paying about the same amount with what you're paying now with (10 bucks less), but only 30 megs down. Real speed test, it's closer to 24.

I might just switch out, but Teksavvy has been pretty damn reliable.

That's quite the difference! LOL

But the price per mb/s is pretty damn good! I'm paying about the same amount with what you're paying now with (10 bucks less), but only 30 megs down. Real speed test, it's closer to 24.

I might just switch out, but Teksavvy has been pretty damn reliable.
The nice thing about vmedia vs. teksavvy is they don't throttle torrents (or anything for that matter) so applications like Popcorn Time (and of course just downloading movies/software/etc.) run MUCH faster! I had teksavvy DSL 50 for exactly one month but found torrent downloads to be super slow (usually around 1mb/sec, very rarely faster, even with encryption enabled) and they also block lots of ports (including port 25 incoming, really screwed over the mail server I'm hosting at home!).

Don't be afraid to jump ship. If your Teksavvy is DSL and you're going with Vmedia Cable then don't cancel your teksavvy, just get vmedia installed and try it out for a month, you can just switch back and fourth between them, then keep whichever one you like best.

The nice thing about vmedia vs. teksavvy is they don't throttle torrents (or anything for that matter) so applications like Popcorn Time (and of course just downloading movies/software/etc.) run MUCH faster! I had teksavvy DSL 50 for exactly one month but found torrent downloads to be super slow (usually around 1mb/sec, very rarely faster, even with encryption enabled) and they also block lots of ports (including port 25 incoming, really screwed over the mail server I'm hosting at home!).

Don't be afraid to jump ship. If your Teksavvy is DSL and you're going with Vmedia Cable then don't cancel your teksavvy, just get vmedia installed and try it out for a month, you can just switch back and fourth between them, then keep whichever one you like best.

I wanted to find out how good vmedia was. Any issues with this service Johncruiser? how long have you had it for? any issues with tech support or tech coming out to your house to install anything?

I wanted to find out how good vmedia was. Any issues with this service Johncruiser? how long have you had it for? any issues with tech support or tech coming out to your house to install anything?
I've had them for 2 months or so. No issues with the internet. The VBOX iptv service is a little lower on video quality that I'd want, and the audio sync gets out sometimes. The free cloud recording is nice though. Because I had Rogers and switched to Vmedia no tech had to come out to my house, I just swapped my rogers modem with the one I bought from canada computers and tada, up and running. The vmedia sales guy said if I didn't have Rogers service an actual Rogers technician would come out and do the install! They said I'm actually getting the internet connection from Rogers through the TPIA department?!

I called tech support last night (after they were closed) because one of our vbox's was missing all its recordings, and they returned my call after hours (after 10pm) which was super nice. I think that's the only time I've had to use their support so far.

What are your peak load times? We can all make an effort to work around them.

Is it 25 up and down? Can you not get Fibe 50 (double the speed for only $8/mo more)? I remember when they very first announced fibe it was supposed to be 25 up and down, then it was 25 down and 10 up. My friend has fibe 25 and gets 23 down and 1 up :( My server has .........

Bell Fibe is VDSL, max 10 up me thinks. When I had the Fibe 50, it was 10 up alright, but stability---none, constant disconnects... Anyway, happy camper on Rogers 60 down / 10 up now, modem hasn't rebooted even once for 3-4 weeks already.

I love those super slow mo videos. I wonder if there's a long version of them since the one that MotoGP posted in Youtube are mostly about 1-2 min long. Too bad WSBK doesn't have something similiar.

Well, let's see: at 2000 fps shutter speed, standard playback at 30 fps, 1 hour of real live footage will result in about 66 hours of watching.

Back
Top Bottom