Moto Gymkhana Drills | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moto Gymkhana Drills

^ Depends on weather and what else is going on. Might get out for an hour or two on Saturday evening.
Next week I will be camping, but after that hit me up if you want to get out again! Same goes for anyone else!

Back from the woods! I will be getting out at least a couple nights this week. Who's down for some practice?

I would love to join, but looks like i'm out of my bike until i get some new bolts made from unobtanium. :(
Keep updating the thread.

One was the winner last year, so he's good
....and the other is a first time competitor - like the top 3 from last year!
I got 2nd place as a first time competitor, the 7th last year - I hope I get another shot at it!

What parts you looking for nomad? Try Ontario Cycle Salvage on Kingston Road. Fairly close, with lots of used parts for older bikes.

Going to get out this evening (6:30pm) for some practice. Will setup for Slalom, GP8, Grapevine.
Anyone else feel like coming out? Any skill level.

....and the other is a first time competitor - like the top 3 from last year!
I got 2nd place as a first time competitor, the 7th last year - I hope I get another shot at it!

You getting out for practice this week?

What parts you looking for nomad? Try Ontario Cycle Salvage on Kingston Road. Fairly close, with lots of used parts for older bikes.

Going to get out this evening (6:30pm) for some practice. Will setup for Slalom, GP8, Grapevine.
Anyone else feel like coming out? Any skill level.

I'm looking for atleast 2 of 90109-06585-00, but i have no alternative means of transportation. It's a special flanged bolt with a shoulder.

You getting out for practice this week?

I practice tight circles every day, and on the weekend I'll practice a little more aggressively on a GP8 type of exercise, and probably some others on a smaller bike.

I would be interested in trying this and also have about 100 of the soft flexible soccer cones. I live in Mississauga and work near the CNE - ride to work every day.

I would really like to get better at tighter, technical control my bike however, my rear brake pad is almost done - how much rear brake are you typically using?

Just came across this thread. I think this is great and would really like to join you guys one evening. I don't know how well my old GS550 would handle Gymkhana but regardless, it's great practice.

I would really like to get better at tighter, technical control my bike however, my rear brake pad is almost done - how much rear brake are you typically using?

While my gymkhana skill is limited - I found using the rear brake and feathering the clutch was the most stable way to maneuver at low speed. Just my opinion but you should look at replacing that pad.

I would be interested in trying this and also have about 100 of the soft flexible soccer cones. I live in Mississauga and work near the CNE - ride to work every day.

From my limited experience so far (I just started practicing Moto Gymkhana recently), and also from what I have read from others, let's just say you had better buy rear pads in bulk if you are going to practice frequently. I would suggest that if you don't already, learn how to service the brakes yourself. It will save you time and money.
After last night, my rear pads are done, time to replace again (not even a month old).

Just came across this thread. I think this is great and would really like to join you guys one evening. I don't know how well my old GS550 would handle Gymkhana but regardless, it's great practice.

While my gymkhana skill is limited - I found using the rear brake and feathering the clutch was the most stable way to maneuver at low speed. Just my opinion but you should look at replacing that pad.

The GS550 will be ok for Moto Gymkhana. Pretty much any two wheeled motorized vehicle that has a rear break and a throttle can do Moto Gymkhana.
People are using scooters, cruisers, sport bikes, trials bikes, supermoto, etc to practice/compete in Moto Gymkhana.

Regarding the use of clutch during Moto Gymkhana , I found this forum post by motogymkhanaman (aka Duncan MacKillop. Chairman of the Moto Gymkhana Association), on the AMGRASS forum, quite informative.
http://amgrass.com/forum/practice-practice-practice/practice-techniques-clutch/

Where and when to use the clutch often leads to many interesting discussions so to help everybody get a handle on it, here is the Moto Gymkhana riders guide to the clutch.

First of all it should be noted that in comparison to brake pads clutches are very expensive to repair or replace when they wear out and overuse of the clutch can do seriously nasty things to the engine oil as it slips.

Secondly a bike is much more stable with the throttle open and the engine driving the rear wheel than it is with no drive to the rear wheel.

Thirdly the throttle and the rear brake are precision analogue controls which can be used in combination to set an exact amount of power delivery to the rear wheel.

Depending on the type of bike being ridden there are times when it is neccessary to very slightly slip the clutch, but in most circumstances the clutch is used only at the beginning and end of a course attack. Its use is often required in the big engined Supermoto machines to smooth out the power pulses and to stop them overwhelming the last bit of grip from the rear tyre and it is also used on the very big and powerful supersports machines when it is neccessary to very quickly reduce the amount of drive reaching the rear wheel.

For most bikes the clutch can simply be forgotten during a course attack as it adds another variable to manage when you have probably got your hands (and feet) full with operating just the throttle and the brake.

The excessive use of the clutch at low(ish) speeds has been promoted by the training industry as it reduces the problems associated with very large capacity V twins and singles, particularly at the point when the engine is just about to stall, but it does have the undesirable side-effect of disguising poor throttle control.

To find out whether or not your bike actually needs the clutch to be operated during a course attack, simply ride along in first gear with the throttle slightly open and apply greater and greater amounts of rear brake until the bike starts to jerk and the transmission starts to lash as it uisually does just prior to the stall. Ease the rear brake off very slightly, sufficient to stop the jerking and add a little more throttle and apply the rear brake again. Try various combinations of open throttle and rear brake until you find the combination at which you can ride the slowest without any jerking from the engine. Most bikes will be quite happy and smooth at around 4 mph which is walking pace.

This speed will be about right for performing such wonders as rotation turns etc, but if your bike can't get that slow without jerking, then modest use of the clutch is quite in order.

Using rear brake against an open throttle means you will probably chew through brake pads and might occasionally boil the brake fluid, but we find that is a small price to pay for getting fast attack times.

I will be getting out at least a couple evenings next week. PM me if either of you are interested and we can arrange a time and place.

Last edited:
From my limited experience so far (I just started practicing Moto Gymkhana recently), and also from what I have read from others, let's just say you had better buy rear pads in bulk if you are going to practice frequently. I would suggest that if you don't already, learn how to service the brakes yourself. It will save you time and money.
After last night, my rear pads are done, time to replace again (not even a month old).

The GS550 will be ok for Moto Gymkhana. Pretty much any two wheeled motorized vehicle that has a rear break and a throttle can do Moto Gymkhana.
People are using scooters, cruisers, sport bikes, trials bikes, supermoto, etc to practice/compete in Moto Gymkhana.

Regarding the use of clutch during Moto Gymkhana , I found this forum post by motogymkhanaman (aka Duncan MacKillop. Chairman of the Moto Gymkhana Association), on the AMGRASS forum, quite informative.
http://amgrass.com/forum/practice-practice-practice/practice-techniques-clutch/

I will be getting out at least a couple evenings next week. PM me if either of you are interested and we can arrange a time and place.

Thanks for that post from Duncan - he's working on a book that's taking far too long for my liking....;)
I find myself using the clutch more than what's described there, but for the the reasons he cited - to quickly reduce the amount of drive to the rear wheel. I am, however, only riding a six hundred. My greatest fear is using too much rear brake and stalling in the middle of a rotation. Also, I think I get a better launch by feathering the clutch on the way out of an obstacle.

^ Looking forward to the book, if/when it is published. :)

Anyone up for some practice tomorrow (Thursday July 17th) after 6:30pm??

Thanks so much SLaP for setting this up :)

I've got lots to work on. Can't wait to practice again.

eqegana7.jpg
ajy9ezar.jpg

SLaP doing his thing

As we get closer to this year's Rock the Red event, it's time to ramp up the application process. Honda wants applicants to "be creative" when showing what they can do.
Here's my video from the 2013 event:
[video=youtube_share;zDfxsns2Uls]http://youtu.be/zDfxsns2Uls[/video]

Back
Top Bottom