Moto Gymkhana Drills | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moto Gymkhana Drills

One of my brothers got second place and the other 10th (?) and he crashed in his second run.

Brother #1 [video=youtube;nsQ1q1VdcAw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsQ1q1VdcAw&feature=share[/video]
Wow, nice run. Congrats to your brother :)

Congrats, to you brother. I watched a few runs and left after an hour. I would go back for sure.

Rock the Red never seems to disappoint. I have been a spectator at the Moto Gymkhana competition for the previous two years. This year I had an opportunity to participate in the 500 class.

Although I didn't place too well, I did manage to get through the course without crashing, getting disqualified or placing last. That was my primary goal for this time out. I will continue to work on being smooth and hopefully speed will come with that.

The line up of 500 series riders included many motorcycle instructors, both street and dirt, and experienced track riders, which made the competition very exciting and we got to see some great action with thrills and spills! There were some spectacular crashes and there were even some wheelies! The CB500F seemed well suited for Moto Gymkhana, with the higher bars. It is very smooth with a good bit of low-end torque.

Ramon (winner from last year) won in the Regional finals (Ontario)! After that, there was the National finals where he went up against the winners from The BC and Quebec Rock the Red Moto Gymkhana competitions. There Ramon placed Third. The guy from BC won that round.

The Grom series was very exciting as well, as the Grom is light and quite easy to maneuver around the Moto Gymkhana course. The competition was fierce on them little pocket rockets! Frankie Lau won the regionals. The BC grom winner took the Nationals, and I believe Frankie took second place there.

Congratulations to all those that placed! Great to meet many of you!

Big shout out to Yoshi Nakatani and the Honda team for putting on such a great event!

Last edited:
Here's the video my flop on the Grom :p courtesy of Dayao12

[video=youtube;X1OyB7IMoOY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1OyB7IMoOY[/video]

Had so much fun on that bike though! Even crashing was awesome.

Last edited:
And some practice video from the other day:

[video=youtube;pQ4EQh_E9EQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ4EQh_E9EQ[/video]

Sorry for the bad angle, I just had my phone propped up on a parking block.

One of my brothers got second place and the other 10th (?) and he crashed in his second run.

Brother #1 [video=youtube;nsQ1q1VdcAw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsQ1q1VdcAw&feature=share[/video]

Mel, you could have edited it so I wasn't talking through the whole thing about Adam's run!

Kudos to both your brothers. Now that you, your dad and your bros have done it, I think it's moms turn next!

Ramon (winner from last year) won in the Regional finals (Ontario)! After that, there was the National finals where he went up against the winners from The BC and Quebec Rock the Red Moto Gymkhana competitions. There Ramon placed Third. The guy from BC won that round.

The Grom series was very exciting as well, as the Grom is light and quite easy to maneuver around the Moto Gymkhana course. The competition was fierce on them little pocket rockets! Raymond Lau won the regionals. The BC grom winner took the Nationals, and I believe Raymond took second place there.

The name is Frankie Lau ;)

It was great to see familiar faces again this year at the Gymkhana event. I sensed right away that this year's competition would be much stiffer from last. Having fun wasn't the primary focus for most - but winning was.

I rode with SLaP in the 500F class. However didn't make it past the Heat round.. Now that I think about it, I probably came dead last. I blame myself for not sticking to my own advice of doing clean runs. Instead I tried to "beat the clock" and push myself which resulted in a fall during my first run and a "blank out" moment on my second run where I missed an obstacle and got disqualified, (not before popping a wheelie though). I still had fun though and enjoyed conversing with those in attendance.

Congratulations to those who placed & participated. Especially Ramon for showing us how effortless going fast can look.

Honda always keeps us entertained with amazing events such as this one. Each year it seems to get better and better! I cannot wait to see what they'll have in store for us next year!

It was great to see familiar faces again this year at the Gymkhana event. I sensed right away that this year's competition would be much stiffer from last. Having fun wasn't the primary focus for most - but winning was.

I rode with SLaP in the 500F class. However didn't make it past the Heat round.. Now that I think about it, I probably came dead last. I blame myself for not sticking to my own advice of doing clean runs. Instead I tried to "beat the clock" and push myself which resulted in a fall during my first run and a "blank out" moment on my second run where I missed an obstacle and got disqualified, (not before popping a wheelie though). I still had fun though and enjoyed conversing with those in attendance.

Congratulations to those who placed & participated. Especially Ramon for showing us how effortless going fast can look.

Honda always keeps us entertained with amazing events such as this one. Each year it seems to get better and better! I cannot wait to see what they'll have in store for us next year!

I learned from my mistakes last year which not to go all out on your first run. My strategy was ride at 80% on my first run to get a clean time in, then ride at 100% on my second run. Screwing up the first run really gets in your head because you'll be thinking about not screwing up your second....which will make you screw up.

I was a little nervous going into the gymkhana competition since I havent really rode much this year...probably 2000kms. The last time I got on a bike was last month since I've been so busy with autocross (the car variation of gymkhana). But I was looking forward to this event all year!

It was really fun riding with everyone. I was surprised that the 500's were putting down faster times than the grom, I thought the grom would be faster on a gymkhana course. You 500 guys are quick! I also couldn't believe how fast the BC guys were going in the nationals. I got spanked! Next year I'll try to sign up for the bigger bike.

I learned from my mistakes last year which not to go all out on your first run. My strategy was ride at 80% on my first run to get a clean time in, then ride at 100% on my second run. Screwing up the first run really gets in your head because you'll be thinking about not screwing up your second....which will make you screw up.

I was a little nervous going into the gymkhana competition since I havent really rode much this year...probably 2000kms. The last time I got on a bike was last month since I've been so busy with autocross (the car variation of gymkhana). But I was looking forward to this event all year!

It was really fun riding with everyone. I was surprised that the 500's were putting down faster times than the grom, I thought the grom would be faster on a gymkhana course. You 500 guys are quick! I also couldn't believe how fast the BC guys were going in the nationals. I got spanked! Next year I'll try to sign up for the bigger bike.

Smart. Your times were very consistent on that Grom.

My first run totally got into my head which inevitably caused my failed second run too.

Hey! Did you and I compete against each other a few years ago at Seneca Newnham Campus for the CBR125 event sponsored by Honda? It was a gymkhana style event as well. If so, you were riding a 600RR and I was on the Aprillia RS125. Just wondered..

PS - Congrats on the Regional win and National Podium!

Smart. Your times were very consistent on that Grom.

My first run totally got into my head which inevitably caused my failed second run too.

Hey! Did you and I compete against each other a few years ago at Seneca Newnham Campus for the CBR125 event sponsored by Honda? It was a gymkhana style event as well. If so, you were riding a 600RR and I was on the Aprillia RS125. Just wondered..

PS - Congrats on the Regional win and National Podium!

Yep that was me at Seneca!

Yay congrats everyone. Wish I could have been there. Can't wait to watch the video's.

Here it is, Rock the Red MotoGymkhana 1st place provincial finish on the Grom.

[video=youtube_share;6r8ULdW0lYY]http://youtu.be/6r8ULdW0lYY[/video]

Back
Top Bottom