Moto Camping | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moto Camping

Did this for a third time ! Here's some photos from last long weekend.

Review: It was all in all alright I just have a continuous problem strapping down the bag to the bike securely without having it slide forward into my back. Otherwise the weight is fine......the bag and equipment is about 65lbs in total. I'd do it again I decided to use a tree hammock tent. Id use it again helps stay dry off the ground.
0aa707812c734fab2ba58d76d624fa87.jpg
93297ed68fc3175fc5df0488b631ec6d.jpg
d9a5b87f71142653de44d4feb38e8334.jpg
2ccaa339b48632c926c2ac4134a1ab4b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Love the packing job. Make it work!

What kind of stove are you using there?

I got myself a Nemo Tango Solo sleeping bag after realising I feel like I'm imprisoned in a mummy bag. It's a little bit of luxury. It's a backless sleeping quilt system that you slide an insulated mattress into. Lots of room and cleverly designed. It's also really light. Bought it from Campsaver on clearance and picked it up across the border for $161 US. I've now got my sleep set up all configured with a thermarest ultralight cot, Big Agnes insulated air pad and this bag. It's nearly as comfy as my bed at home and very light. I can fit my tent, sleep set up, groundsheet, pillow etc all in a waterproof duffel on the bike. Clothes in one pannier, kitchen set up and food in the other. Top case is mostly empty to store my gear in off the bike.

I got myself a Nemo Tango Solo sleeping bag after realising I feel like I'm imprisoned in a mummy bag. It's a little bit of luxury. It's a backless sleeping quilt system that you slide an insulated mattress into. Lots of room and cleverly designed. It's also really light. Bought it from Campsaver on clearance and picked it up across the border for $161 US. I've now got my sleep set up all configured with a thermarest ultralight cot, Big Agnes insulated air pad and this bag. It's nearly as comfy as my bed at home and very light. I can fit my tent, sleep set up, groundsheet, pillow etc all in a waterproof duffel on the bike. Clothes in one pannier, kitchen set up and food in the other. Top case is mostly empty to store my gear in off the bike.
I'd love to see some pictures of that.

I'm on a thermarest with a Chinook rectangular hooded bag that packs small and can unzip to be used as a quilt in hotter weather, and I've added a fleaBay inflatable pillow as a welcome luxury item this year. I sleep so much better with it.

How do you like the cot?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'd love to see some pictures of that.

I'm on a thermarest with a Chinook rectangular hooded bag that packs small and can unzip to be used as a quilt in hotter weather, and I've added a fleaBay inflatable pillow as a welcome luxury item this year. I sleep so much better with it.

How do you like the cot?

Cot is awesome. Packs super small. It's a bit fidley but worth it to be off the ground. With the air mattress on top and the nemo it's just like having a decent bed and quilt. To be honest though, I'm pretty sure a Chinese copy would be just as good for the cot if you could find one.

Cot is awesome. Packs super small. It's a bit fidley but worth it to be off the ground. With the air mattress on top and the nemo it's just like having a decent bed and quilt. To be honest though, I'm pretty sure a Chinese copy would be just as good for the cot if you could find one.
I did add a Helinox chair knock off this year and I'm really impressed with the quality for $36 dollars.

http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/2017/08/campsite-chairs.html

So I thought a similar cot might be just the ticket at some point.

e4b6c690d0efe5fa99d976ed00872ef3.jpg

I've camped about ten nights this year, starting to figure out what I like and what I don't. The dry bags stay packed and ready to go, just toss them on the bike and I'm good to go.

1st 30L dry bag
- Eureka El Capitan 3 / Great tent, has never leaked. A touch too big
- Eureka groundsheet
- Sail copy of a Helinox chair / My favourite item after a long day, even has a cup holder
- Husqvarna hatchet / Bought it recently, great for splitting up larger pieces of firewood and not having to scrounge for kindling. Has been a huge help this wet summer

2nd 30L dry bag
- GSI Pinnacle Backpacker cookset / Great kit, does everything I want it to
- Thermalite Trail Lite sleeping pad / It was cheap and it's ok, will look into getting something better over the winter
- MEC Raven 0C mummy sleeping bag / Has been great, don't know about 0C but has kept me warm down to 5C
- Microfibre shower towel / Forget the brand, does the job.

Somewhere else
- MSR Dragonfly stove and fuel bottle full of pump gas - It's crazy loud but it works, fuel bottle acts as an emergency backup if I run out.

Back seat
-Polar bear 12 pack cooler. Amazing product, still had some ice after 24 hours. Despite the name, it only fits a 6 pack.

Only thing I'm likely to change for next year is the sleeping pad, and maybe adding a pillow.

VVNUdJE.jpg

I had a thermarest pad thing then tried an air mattress this year. I thought it was going to be bouncy and uncomfortable but it's not. You can easily adjust the firmness too. I would advise getting an insulated one if you do go this route though.

Added bonus, you can pack some of them them down so they are smaller than a 1L bottle.

I had a thermarest pad thing then tried an air mattress this year. I thought it was going to be bouncy and uncomfortable but it's not. You can easily adjust the firmness too. I would advise getting an insulated one if you do go this route though.

Added bonus, you can pack some of them them down so they are smaller than a 1L bottle.

Last year my woods self inflating pad died a slow death at Evans Notch ME so in Lake Placid I bought my thermarest. It cost more than I would like, $100 on sale, but it packs twice as small as the woods mattress which means I can now fit all my sleeping gear in one pannier.

It's fine for a few nights but after nine days on it, I was very happy to be in my own bed again.

I watched a YouTube review of the sleeping pads and the thermarest neoair won the shoutout , but it's three times what I paid for my current one, which is why I was thinking of adding the cot for next year.

Last year my woods self inflating pad died a slow death at Evans Notch ME so in Lake Placid I bought my thermarest. It cost more than I would like, $100 on sale, but it packs twice as small as the woods mattress which means I can now fit all my sleeping gear in one pannier.

It's fine for a few nights but after nine days on it, I was very happy to be in my own bed again.

I watched a YouTube review of the sleeping pads and the thermarest neoair won the shoutout , but it's three times what I paid for my current one, which is why I was thinking of adding the cot for next year.

check campsaver.com....even with the exchange rate and potential taxes you'll come out ahead. I browse the clearance section all the time. Also check Atmosphere, you can sign up for emails which gives you a 10% off coupon then they also do price matching...sometimes you can score a deal. I don't pay full price for any of my camping gear. I got an ultralight Big Agnes tent from campsaver last year and saved over $200 from buying it here. If you can collect across the border you'll save even more.

The KLR kitted out for a week.

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
What are you hauling?

What year KLR is that?

I have soft saddle bags and a Rubbermaid Action Packer box for a top box. It's large enough to hold my tent, Thermorest, folding camp chair, a coffin like box with my Ukelele and few other sundry items. I can drop the top box in about 5 minutes.

It's an 'o6 painted to look like it came out of Desert storm. You can't hardly see them but I have things like tire pressures stenciled on the fenders and oil specs and daily filter/chain reminders on the side covers. The usual stuff that allows military equipment to be maintained by people with just more than a high school education.

Attached a pic w/o the box.IMG_6836.jpg

Would love to know how I can add the pictures slightly larger....

Last edited:
I have soft saddle bags and a Rubbermaid Action Packer box for a top box. It's large enough to hold my tent, Thermorest, folding camp chair, a coffin like box with my Ukelele and few other sundry items. I can drop the top box in about 5 minutes.

It's an 'o6 painted to look like it came out of Desert storm. You can't hardly see them but I have things like tire pressures stenciled on the fenders and oil specs and daily filter/chain reminders on the side covers. The usual stuff that allows military equipment to be maintained by people with just more than a high school education.

Attached a pic w/o the box.View attachment 39037

Would love to know how I can add the pictures slightly larger....

Nice! The plastics on my '04 started fading, and it could have used a facelift like that.

Try third party hosting for larger pictures. I used to use Photobucket until they stopped third party hosting. I think flickr and imgur may still allow it. Also the tapatalk app or GTAM version of it will allow up to 1024 .

Only in the U.S. Military. Our trucks weren't marked like that, back in the day at any rate.

What do you do for cooking gear?

Here's my bike loaded up...that bag on the pillion is an old Twisted Throttle waterproof duffel and holds my tent, cot, pillow, mattress, groundsheet and a couple of other tent things (organisers etc).

The tube on top of the bag is a Chinese knock off ultralight table from Amazon. It's awesome.

20170810_123824 by JC100JC, on Flickr

Last edited:
Here's my bike loaded up...that bag on the pillion is an old Twisted Throttle waterproof duffel and holds my tent, cot, pillow, mattress, groundsheet and a couple of other tent things (organisers etc).

20170810_123824 by JC100JC, on Flickr

What is in the bag strapped to the rear of the pannier? I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it.

What is in the bag strapped to the rear of the pannier? I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it.

Medical kit, bearspray, emergency blanket, hand sanitizer, extra loo roll etc. It's just quick access to stuff that might be handy. Waterproof too.

Nice! The plastics on my '04 started fading, and it could have used a facelift like that.

Try third party hosting for larger pictures. I used to use Photobucket until they stopped third party hosting. I think flickr and imgur may still allow it. Also the tapatalk app or GTAM version of it will allow up to 1024 .

Only in the U.S. Military. Our trucks weren't marked like that, back in the day at any rate.

What do you do for cooking gear?

Cooking Gear Indeed.
I used to travel with a coleman one burner and pot with lid - About a 5 inch burner attached to the bottom of a coleman lantern. It would heat water, canned soup, beans or ramen noodles etc. Now, lately, I have come to realize the wisdom of a riding buddy, Martin. His philosophy is cooking means cleaning dishes which only slows you down so unless it can be cooked on a stick, eaten out of a tin or drank straight from bottle or can you're just wasting valuable riding time. I think he's right and no longer carry more than a cup, plate and swiss army knife.

Medical kit, bearspray, emergency blanket, hand sanitizer, extra loo roll etc. It's just quick access to stuff that might be handy. Waterproof too.

extra loo roll -- a true back woodsman indeed.

Back
Top Bottom