Moto Camping | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moto Camping

Thermorests are supposed to be self inflating. I open the valve on mine and leave it a few minutes then just a couple of breaths to firm it up. Mine is full width but doesn't extend much below the knee. I sleep like a baby on it - but in truth I don't remember ever crashing on it without a few beers first.

Since someone asked I bring

2-3 man Tent (usually something you could get at crappy tire)
Sleeping bag
Thermorest
Folding camp chair (we usually camp rough/vagrant so no picnic table)
Ukulele in a small coffin I made for it

All of the above goes in a hockey bag I strap on the seat

In the saddle bags I pack clothes (always too much) running shoes, tinned fish and crackers, beer and periodically a one burner coleman and a pot w/ lid (mug and coffee inside)

The tankbag has stuff I want handy - water, camera, sun block, sun hat and bug hat/shirt.

Cooking usually consists of hot dogs cooked on a stick and opening a tin of smoked oysters or herring fillets.

Might I suggest canned Ravioli + soups. Works much better with a fire though.

Got my Thermarest today - it's not full length but that's fine - it's wide enough to sleep on my side or back - packs down super small with the pillow - will be fine for both naps and overnight if I do it. - can put my jacket at the end for extra. Small and light enough to take all the time.
If the rain holds off will try it in the tent tho my preference is towards a bivy and buddy is bicycling so we could both use that.
Pillow is good -
Buddy was saying he used to rough camp all the time on the bicycle.

We need these secret marks like the hobos used to have to show safe areas to live rough.

signs-2.gif

BTW . a 7 oz can of herring fillets is 400 cal.
A larger heavier 15 Oz can of ravioli is 240 cal
The fish wins :D

A 3 oz can of smoked Oysters is 140 cal...the fish still win. :D

You can check calorie by weight here.
http://www.calorieking.com/foods/ca...n-cottonseed-oil-canned_f-ZmlkPTIwNDA4MA.html

Mars bars are my fav. 234 Cal for 2 oz then some of this.

starbucks_via_refreshers_berry_0.jpg

http://store.starbucks.com/starbucks-via-refreshers-cool-lime/011020230,default,pd.html

gives me caffiene and hydration on the fly.

Last edited:
In testing mode....

Windy Pass by Northface tent...pretty easy...4 pegs - bigger than I need
and the Kermit chair with the staff lounging - pretty comfie - hard on my old knees but very nice when lounging..easy fit under the seat of the burgman for both.

Tent%2526chair.jpg

Very roomy - of course a bit of advertising thanks to Kermit :D
Frontviewtent%2526chair.jpg

Okay generally happy with the gear - not sure on sleeping bag as to size/compact.

Prefer something that packs small but generous room.
I will tend to wear long johns and a warm shirt so 40 degrees plus is okay - just concerened about how far it will compact
That it is reasonably generous interior

I'll use existing one for now but its not compact at all

Last edited:
Is that you on the chair? Or fellow hobo.? ;-)

Not me - he's the bicycle hobo - thinks nothing of a 100 km day ride...his bicycle is worth more than the Burgman and he's got more than one.

••••

The tent and chair fit perfectly under the seat with about half the 54 litres left

This looks like the correct type of sleeping bag - I'll try a couple of nights with the current clunker before I pull the trigger on this.

R-100 sleeping bag Suggested Retail Price: $76.99
Rectangular shape 78"x34" plus pillow pocket
Carry Weight: 2.8 lbs/ 1.3 kg
Carry size: 15" long 6.5" diameter (38cm x 17cm)
Temperature Rating: 0[SUP]o[/SUP]C / 32[SUP]o[/SUP]F

a02f366e9028a0a3e1a60cd348efc31e.jpg
870d749af9c18d1088723238baee674f_gpp2.png

hotcore-logo-2010-w-tag-lrg_pkpv.jpg

Hotcore 100 and 200 weight sleeping bags now feature a "Pillow Pocket". This pocket is made from 2 layers of soft pongee polyester fabric and in the shape of a traditional flat hood. It is open at the bottom and is a great place to hold a camp pillow or even hold a fleece jacket or other clothing item to make a pillow area. Great idea when hostelling. A drawcord around the outside of the Pillow Pocket allows for a snug fit and keeps the pillow feature in place.
-creative backpackers can fill this Pocket with a fleece or down jacket and convert the Pillow Pocket in to an insulated hood!

All 300 weight Hotcore sleeping bags have "banana" shape insulated hoods.

Outer Fabric: polyester ripstop, 75D/230T with light DWR coating
Inner Fabric/ lining: soft-touch Pongee polyester
Zippers: #5, 2-way nylon coil "self healing" zippers. Fatboy models have #8 size.

Drawcord at shoulder, anti-snag zipper tape, insulated draft tube behind zipper.

Insulation: Trueloft microfibre 0.7D with Critical Layer Construction
Critical Layer Construction: all Hotcore sleeping bags have an extra layer of insulation in the core area to help achieve and maintain your comfort.

All Hotcore sleeping bags have compression carry bags with 2 YKK quick release buckles for easier use.

Last edited:
Uke! Nice - I was thinking of buying a hard gig case just for the bike, but thought that would only draw unwanted attention... :) Small coffin is actually pretty good idea. I would still worry about it, I strap dry-bag on the seat like a maniac, I think I could easily crush it.
No worries. I strap the hockey bag down with cam buckles straps nice and tight. The case just gets pushed into the bed roll and tent which are soft.
I only got the uke this past xmas so I'm still learning but I am having a ball with it. The two other guys I rode to Thompson with also had instruments. Another uke and a gitelele (sp?) (6 stringed uke). I really looked forward to jamming by the campfire after the days ride.

The first three items represent my yellow 55 litre canoe bag.

I need to win the lottery and downsize. :D

EeeK!
Or keep an eye out on Amazon.ca. My tent was $60 and while it uses fiberglass poles (not aluminum) it still packs pretty small.
Similar story with the Sleeping Bag.

In testing mode....

Windy Pass by Northface tent...pretty easy...4 pegs - bigger than I need
and the Kermit chair with the staff lounging - pretty comfie - hard on my old knees but very nice when lounging..easy fit under the seat of the burgman for both.

Tent%2526chair.jpg

Very roomy - of course a bit of advertising thanks to Kermit :D
Frontviewtent%2526chair.jpg

Okay generally happy with the gear - not sure on sleeping bag as to size/compact.

Prefer something that packs small but generous room.
I will tend to wear long johns and a warm shirt so 40 degrees plus is okay - just concerened about how far it will compact
That it is reasonably generous interior

I'll use existing one for now but its not compact at all

That Kermit Chair is $140 ish without taxes or delivery and is reasonably heavy. Something like this http://www.amazon.ca/Updated-Adjust...defined&sr=1-1&keywords=Generic+folding+chair is a third the price and weighs 900g. It's a copy of a chair that sells for much more in expensive camping stores.

edit: here's a review for it on a UK bike forum http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=283787

Last edited:
It's heavy because it's strongly built...money or weight was not in the least an issue. Fold down size, strength and durability was. You get what you pay for in this case.
My only concern is volume not weight. But it might help someone else.

I'd never be comfortable in what you posted....I AM very comfortable in the Kermit chair and it's the #1 touring chair for motorcycles.

61k0dNRKBJL._SY355_.jpg

740_1a.jpg

Kermit Chair Co. Red Touring Chair (KERMITRED) $140
The Red Kermit Chair is a lightweight portable chair that features comfort and elegance not found in other camp chairs. The Kermit Chair's frame is constructed from oak, aluminum, and stainless steel, giving the Kermit Chair a 350 lb. weight rating. All oak pieces are double-dipped in a marine-grade polyurethane, which is thicker than a sprayed-on finish and protects the chair for a lifetime of use. The red cloth pieces are constructed of 1000 denier nylon that is cut with heat to prevent unraveling. Seat height is 11.5" and the chair weighs 5.3 lbs. Every Kermit Chair comes standard with a black 1000 dernier nylon carry bag that is only 22" x 4" x 6" in loaded dimensions.

Buddy sat in it and his eyes popped...wow is this comfortable. :D..Yup

Last edited:
It's heavy because it's strongly built...money or weight was not in the least an issue. Fold down size was. You get what you pay for.
My only concern is volume not weight. But it might help someone else.

I'd never be comfortable in what you posted....I AM very comfortable in the Kermit chair and it's the #1 touring chair for motorcycles.

61k0dNRKBJL._SY355_.jpg

740_1a.jpg

Buddy sat in it and his eyes popped...wow is this comfortable. :D..Yup

Chair I posted fits into a 30cm long tube and can take a 300lb weight apparently. It will fit in some tank bag pockets. I'm about to order one after that review I read. Free shipping from Amazon, $55.

Good deal if it works for you. Yours packs smaller and is lighter and cheaper...reviews and pics look good.
I went with the legend and it is super comfortable....and besides...mine says MacDoc ;)

[h=1]RODUCT DESCRIPTION:[/h]
  • SEATING SURFACE: SLING TYPE WITH BACK AND ARM RESTS
  • SETUP/PACK: LESS THAN 1 MINUTE WITH NO SMALL LOOSE PARTS
  • WEIGHT CAPACITY: 350 LB – TESTED TO OVER 750 LB
  • PACKED SIZE: 4" BY 6" BY 22"
  • SEAT HEIGHT: APPROX. 11.5"
  • SEAT WIDTH: 19" INSIDE ARM TO ARM
  • WEIGHT: APPROX. 5.3 LB
  • WARRANTY: 5 YEARS COVERING FUNCTION
  • MATERIALS: OAK FRAME COATED WITH MARINE FINISH, 2/3 LB OF ALUMINUM PLATES & BARS, NUTS & BOLTS OF STAINLESS STEEL,
  • COVERS & BAG MADE OF 1000 DENIER NYLON PACK CLOTH
  • COLORS: BLACK, FOREST GREEN, BURGUNDY, NAVY & RED
  • ALL CHAIRS HAVE BLACK BAGS
  • ACCESSORIES: LEG EXTENSIONS RAISE SEAT HEIGHT TO 17.5”
  • FORMED ALUMINUM TUBES WITH RUBBER TIPS
  • LEG EXTENSIONS ARE PACKED IN A BLACK BAG 9.5" BY 3.5" BY 3.5"
  • AVAILABLE IN 2 FINISHES: CLEAR & BLACK
  • EMBROIDERY: NAMES AVAILABLE IN BLOCK & SCRIPT STYLES
  • MOTOMAN/MOTOGIRL ALSO AVAILABLE

http://www.kermitchair.com

Last edited:
That thing looks like something that would start falling apart after a few uses. $45 seems steep for something that wont last more than a few uses and looks really uncomfortable.

That thing looks like something that would start falling apart after a few uses. $45 seems steep for something that wont last more than a few uses and looks really uncomfortable.
It claims 220lbs, but further states that 80kg is best for longevity. Lol. Plus all the weight appears to centre over a plastic hub on each side, and I bet it fails prematurely.

Weighing in at 235 I take note of these things.

Yup, that is what I was thinking too. Might be ok for kids but anything over 150lbs would prob ruin this chair quick regardless of what wieght it claims to hold.

Yupper ...that's why the large Kermit is for me. ( it's wider than standard ) and it's really comfie.
I ordered the extended feet for it to save my knees.

Makes it 6" taller.

main.jpg

also got the cup holder

main.jpg

Last edited:
It claims 220lbs, but further states that 80kg is best for longevity. Lol. Plus all the weight appears to centre over a plastic hub on each side, and I bet it fails prematurely.

Weighing in at 235 I take note of these things.

The Helinox, which the chair is a copy of, has the 300lb capacity. My mistake. Exact same design though and the review seems to mention materials similarity. Reviews seem pretty favourable for the cheaper copy. Even the Helinox is cheaper than the Kermit by approaching 100 notes if you want a much stronger warranty.

Sorry, I'm a fast and light gadget freak as I do multiple duty with stuff for the bike, hiking, picnics and travel (luggage allowance considerations). I'm considering switching my camera out to the micro 4/3 coz the heavy DSLR is starting to be a pain when I fly anywhere.

Last edited:
Last edited:
switching my camera out to the micro 4/3 coz the heavy DSLR is starting to be a pain when I fly anywhere.

good idea. There is a thread in touring on MFT....I love it for mcycling.

••

The Kermit is not light...but it's small packing and very durable and I can flip it for within $20 or what I paid for it anytime.
Incredibly comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom