Minimum wage spin offs | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Minimum wage spin offs

Many times the headaches are not due to the MW increase but the quality of the people attached to them.

Nope. The will continue automating. I'm sure their app and those self serve kiosks have quick payback. We have robots at the shop that weld, run CNC machines, and assemble products more complicated than a Big Mac. These machines could easily be trained to assemble a burger.

I think the market finds a happy medium. I mentioned earlier that I had to pay 30% above min wage to attract employees that were dependable and loyal.

There are some philosophical questions too, I’ll toss one out — should a worker that is unwilling to make his labour more valuable thru training or education be rewarded by or entitled to wage subsidies?

That might be the industry’s problem to fix. Has technology and regulation lowered the level of skill necessary to drive. Auto transmissions, speed Nannie’s, GPS….
Fast food will go automated regardless of MW. It may just happen more slowly if increases are smaller. Quality may also suffer. Microwaved burgers etc.

Paying a premium doesn't always work. There are jobs so menial that they are down grading to the point that only the desperate take them. Right now the housing crisis and mindset is so bad that it's hard to get anyone enthusiastic about a job paying less than six figure. A 30 YO couple taking home $150K might not see their mortgage paid off until they retire. It gets grinding.

It used to be build debt and education until 30 YO. From 30 to 40 you used the education to pay off the debt and from then on it was the good life. Now move that comment to the jokes thread.

Philosophically, the relationship between the company and the worker should be based on what's good for both. If there's a better way to do things both sides should embrace the change. If it means a worker needs retraining the company pays for it and the worker stays loyal.

If a worker comes up with an idea that improves efficiency they get a reward and the cost savings are used to create a new product or service to provide employment for any worker who has their hours cut by the increased efficiency.

Idealism at it's finest.

Deregulation at its worst is the trucking industry. Has Uber moved into the market yet?

The old system of PCV licences kept rates high enough to allow for maintenance. That changed.

A decades or so back a friend bought a few clapped out tractors in the low five figure range and hired cheap drivers to run them. A driver could calculate the increased earnings of having his own rig and would start his own company, living in the sleeper. Not every load is JIT critical so there was work. Minimum wage doesn't apply to the owner. Heaven help you if you aren't part mechanic.

Newer trucks have opened the market to people with modest strength, power steering, brakes and automatics but the oil doesn't automatically change itself. Suspension, steering and brakes don't regenerate.

Do semis have load cells to tell the driver if the load is properly distributed? Or can a dock hand pile all the heavy stuff high on one side to make corners more exciting?

The race to the bottom is usually matched by a race to the top for profits elsewhere.

They refer to Walmart as the “overlords” lol , I’ll be watching Dune in the next room …

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom