Min wage increase | Page 26 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Min wage increase

Back in 2014 Tim Hortons increased the price of drinks and food. A November 2014 story from CTV: "TORONTO -- Your morning stop at Tim Hortons is about to get a bit more expensive.The restaurant chain says it plans to raise prices for both coffee and breakfast sandwiches at its Canadian locations starting next Wednesday. A cup of coffee will go up by 10 cents, on average, though the change will vary by region, and the price of a breakfast sandwich will also rise in all provinces except Ontario. "We have been able to hold our pricing stable since spring of 2011, however due to rising operational costs there will be a moderate increase," spokeswoman Michelle Robichaud said in an email. The cost of breakfast sandwiches, like bacon and egg on an English muffin and the turkey sausage sandwich, will go up 10 cents to $2.99 before tax. The move comes as Tim Hortons (TSX:THI) says it faces "significantly higher operating costs," which include rising prices for coffee beans and meat on the commodities market." As highlighted, back then prices were calmly raised when "higher operating costs" were encountered. They didn't go on the warpath and threaten their suppliers. Since labour is on of the many "operating costs" businesses of this nature have, I don't really see the logic in their reaction then (go with the flow, raise prices and pass the cost along to the end customer) versus now (fight the weakest, most vunerable of their staff.) Wynne is rarely correct on anything but I can't see TH's reaction to this increase in operating cost as anything but corporate bullying, plain and simple.
That seems completely different.
It's a fight now between the franchisees and corporate.
Basically, corporate has been squeezing the franchises, raising supply costs, and not letting them pass the increases along.

I know someone who had started an independent camera store long ago. Later on he joined Black's, still later he walked away from the business, because he couldn't make any money at it.

That's where franchise can suck. You have to buy everything from head office. So for something you can go out and get retail, you pay them almost double. Licks for example was like that. Even toys in the play area had to be bought thru them....at a healthy markup for head office.

That's where franchise can suck. You have to buy everything from head office. So for something you can go out and get retail, you pay them almost double. Licks for example was like that. Even toys in the play area had to be bought thru them....at a healthy markup for head office.

And how did that work out for them in the long run??

Sad ... those were among my favorites.

And how did that work out for them in the long run??

Sad ... those were among my favorites.

same as its about to be for TH, francisees have created an 'owners group' , which will be the on point group for a pending class action suit. The brazilian parent company have squeezed, the owners have a disconnect, its no longer the 'community coffee place'. Its a great brand slowly , pardon the irony, going south.....

You also pay the head office a cut on the sales. They collect coming and going.

Trade shows: Both vendors and visitors pay

Dead Tim's is falling out of favour with a lot of people
I rarely go these days...
The coffee is actually pretty bad... 'Service is poor too.
I've switches towards patronizing a local independent coffee shop... 'Much better product and service.

They are great if you are out on a long ride and need a bathroom and wifi, that's all I use then for.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I usually stop at a hotel, nicer cleaner bathrooms, no lineup of construction guys and sometimes free coffee in the lobby.

The Tim's in the Air Canada Centre used to be good.
It was the only place in there that had normal prices, and was open all day.
Now I think the Leafs corporation owns it, so they cut the products to beverages only and raised the prices.

Timmies was always a 401 stop to stay awake for me. Crappy coffee but it had a bit of caffeine in it. Much better coffee available elsewhere.

Timmies was always a 401 stop to stay awake for me. Crappy coffee but it had a bit of caffeine in it. Much better coffee available elsewhere.

I like McDonald's coffee but the service is so bad with their new layout that I can't be bothered.

Lets turn this debate around a little and suggest we set a limit on The maximum hrly rate !!!!!!!

For CEOs? No limit it seems. Capitalism is great for the rich but you’re not allowed the same values if you’re on the bottom rung of the ladder it seems.

Dead Tim's is falling out of favour with a lot of people
I rarely go these days...
The coffee is actually pretty bad... 'Service is poor too.
I've switches towards patronizing a local independent coffee shop... 'Much better product and service.

never been a fan of the coffee, prefer McDonalds or Country Style
some decent choices for fast food if you don't want a burger

I stopped going as they couldn't seem to get me the items I had paid for
you know how you order, pay, get your coffee then go to the side for your food

several times my bagel or whatever is given to someone else
once my bag of food was given to the wrong guy who left with it
I start asking about my order, and he comes back in with the bag
hands it to the gal, she looks inside then hands it to me
"sorry for the confusion sir, but it's your responsibility to pay attention and get the order"

will never be back

Lets turn this debate around a little and suggest we set a limit on The maximum hrly rate !!!!!!!

I wouldn't set a strict maximum, but a multiplier of the median makes sense to me (on first blush, subject to revision after more thought. Maybe 3 SD above average is better?). If the boss can only make 5x the median, it gives them incentive to raise the salaries of many employees.

I wouldn't set a strict maximum, but a multiplier of the median makes sense to me (on first blush, subject to revision after more thought. Maybe 3 SD above average is better?). If the boss can only make 5x the median, it gives them incentive to raise the salaries of many employees.

A %age of the CEOs salary would work...every time the CEO gets a wage hike so do the workers.

never been a fan of the coffee, prefer McDonalds or Country Style
some decent choices for fast food if you don't want a burger

I stopped going as they couldn't seem to get me the items I had paid for
you know how you order, pay, get your coffee then go to the side for your food

several times my bagel or whatever is given to someone else
once my bag of food was given to the wrong guy who left with it
I start asking about my order, and he comes back in with the bag
hands it to the gal, she looks inside then hands it to me
"sorry for the confusion sir, but it's your responsibility to pay attention and get the order"

will never be back

I would have dumped it on the floor and told her it was now her responsibility

Sent from the moon!

I would have dumped it on the floor and told her it was now her responsibility

Sent from the moon!

gal was maybe 16?

suggested to her, that it is Timmy's responsibility
to get what I paid for, to me, as McDonalds does, without difficulty
she said it was what her manager told her to do/say

no point in belittling a minimum wage earner with no say in anything

Back
Top Bottom