Middle Weight Sport Tourers! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Middle Weight Sport Tourers!

But he's a long haul owner, and no one can deny BMW has had some reliability issues in the last years, and the complexity of the newer bikes means self-servicing is very difficult.

If he wants VFR-style touring, reliability, sounds like a VFR is the choice.

You ever own or currently own a BMW motorcycle?
(Their cars are a different animal)

I guess it depends on what kind of maintenance you want to do yourself. Most modern bikes can be very complicated outside of the basics like changing the oil. Even VFR's were a headache when they went with the VTEC. I am on my 3rd BMW, only once out of all 3 of them did I ever have a bike in the shop for longer then 3 days for the replacement of a clutch. Outside of that it was regular service. I even had a GS in the big problem year with the Shaft drive issues and servo break issues and it never let me down.

A bonus for BMW bikes is you do get a loaner bike (if you have purchased from dealer and using them for service). Outside of getting a different bike to tool around with, it makes it very convenient to drop off your bike for service without needing anyone to pick you up and drop you off again.

But he's a long haul owner, and no one can deny BMW has had some reliability issues in the last years, and the complexity of the newer bikes means self-servicing is very difficult.

If he wants VFR-style touring, reliability, sounds like a VFR is the choice.

The VFR WAS a great bike (from the early 90s up until they changed them with VTec in 2002).
$4K more for something that doesn't work as well might not be the best idea if he's considering the FJ09.

I think the Yamaha is VERY hard to beat.
I believe someone also posted a video comparison between the newest ADVs and the VFR above which expresses that point too.

If the FJ wasn't my top choice, I'd also consider the Ninja 1000.

Guy I scored my 650 Vstrom just pulled the trigger on the FJ-09 - he's been itching for it - can't blame him.
Serious step up fom the Wee.

I never considered the S1000XR before and I like it. When it shopping time for myself the Versys1000/Ninja1000/FJ09/S1000XR will all have an honest shot at my money.

Back
Top Bottom