M1 Insurance 2024 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 Insurance 2024

I think it would almost be better for no company to insure with M1...
Get your M1, do the MSF, get your M2 and insure at that point. The MSF is your training/practice. I think the MSF should be mandatory.

I disagree, you can learn to ride without insurance at the MSF. The MSF also gives you your M2. At that point you insure, practice, then take your M2 exit test with the ministry.

This was exactly what I was driving at.

See first post for the list of companies that do not insure with M1.

Most insurance companies have the ability to quote through facility as I understand it, they might just not initially offer it unless pushed as it often results in embarrassingly high prices that people then go scream about online.

Ultimately you may have to call a broker and specifically tell them to quote through facility if you get the same song and dance about "we can't insure you", however ultimately, again - *by law*, any licences driver with any record on any vehicle CAN always get insurance on any vehicle in the province.

Knew a guy that did this several times a year every year. Seems like a waste of time.

I suppose if you were completely paranoid about taking the M1 exit exam or something it would be an avenue to avoid the situation.

The point of the permit is to start the process. How so you practice for the test if you cannot ride a motorcycle?
Yes, you can take a course, but that is not a mandatory requirement to get your M2.
It's a chicken and egg problem. No insurance for you until you learn to ride, no learning to ride until you have insurance.
But it's practically becoming a requirement to take the course to get insurance that doesn't cost as much as the bike you bought.

They should really just ammend the legislation to make the course mandatory for m2 if it's having that big an impact on the insurance companies bottom end.

Most insurance companies have the ability to quote through facility as I understand it, they might just not initially offer it unless pushed as it often results in embarrassingly high prices that people then go scream about online.

Ultimately you may have to call a broker and specifically tell them to quote through facility if you get the same song and dance about "we can't insure you", however ultimately, again - *by law*, any licences driver with any record on any vehicle CAN always get insurance on any vehicle in the province.

I suppose if you were completely paranoid about taking the M1 exit exam or something it would be an avenue to avoid the situation.
Caveat usually being unless said model is blacklisted by the company entirely. But I digress, your point is valid. Anyone can get insured on any bike in Ontario.

Caveat usually being unless said model is blacklisted by the company entirely. But I digress, your point is valid. Anyone can get insured on any bike in Ontario.

I'm not sure that prevents a company from still ultimately quoting facility if a customer insists. IE, in a scenario where a bike was potentially black listed *everywhere*, then the law is being broken as said rider couldn't obtain insurance.

Could be wrong. We need an insurance person to answer this.

if I was a 16-year-old with a Hayabusa, but had a DUI, five speeding tickets, a cancellation, and a few other moving violations as the cherry on top, no insurance company would necessarily want to touch me with 100 foot pole, but then where do things lie with regards to the law demanding that despite all of that, I am still legally entitled to insurance?

I'm not sure that prevents a company from still ultimately quoting facility if a customer insists. IE, in a scenario where a bike was potentially black listed *everywhere*, then the law is being broken as said rider couldn't obtain insurance.

Could be wrong. We need an insurance person to answer this.

if I was a 16-year-old with a Hayabusa, but had a DUI, five speeding tickets, a cancellation, and a few other moving violations as the cherry on top, no insurance company would necessarily want to touch me with 100 foot pole, but then where do things lie with regards to the law demanding that despite all of that, I am still legally entitled to insurance?
I thought that was covered by facility. Take the $2000 a month for 16 yo on a busa, surchage 100% for DUI, surcharge 100% for speeding, surcharge 100% for cancellation (although that would be hard for a 16 yo to have already), surcharge 100% for miscellaneous tickets (although I don't think a 16 yo could have that many tickets and still have a license) and we are at $10,000 a month facility quote. It's legally available, just entirely unaffordable.

I thought that was covered by facility

But it's regular insurance companies that end up underwriting policies through the facility association, they are not an insurance company themselves.

Updated OP with new info. Allstate with insure people 30+ with 10 years driving experience. $250 up-front fee added to premium.
Echelon only seems to insure M1 through specific brokers, NFP is the only one I'm aware of so far.

Last edited:
Time for mandatory 'L' restricted licencing in Ontario.
After you get your full M, you spend 2 or 3 years on a limited HP machine.
Makes sense for cars too. G1 and aventador doesn't end well.

Reactions: TK4
Time for mandatory 'L' restricted licencing in Ontario.
After you get your full M, you spend 2 or 3 years on a limited HP machine.

Half the new drivers on the roads today don't follow the existing rules put in place for graduated licencing for cars (kids on the 401 when they're not supposed to be, driving with booze onboard, etc) and we know how many new riders don't play by the rules either, so I suspect a lot would just disregard this and do whatever the hell they want. Nobody's going to enforce it...

Back
Top Bottom