M1 Insurance 2024 | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 Insurance 2024

Adrian719

I noticed all the threads pertaining to M1 insurance are now 2+ years old. I know I definitely searched this website for insurance info before I got licensed, so I thought it would be good to get an updated thread going for new riders. This is not an opinon thread, please just share info you have.

Companies that insure M1:
  • Echelon, through NFP or "My Insurance Broker" (30 days prior to M2 course)
  • Allstate (30+, with 10 years driving experience required)
  • Wawanesa, through "My Insurance Broker"(30 days prior to M2 course)
  • TD Insurance - Will insure M1 after completing training course.

Companies/Brokers that do not insure M1:
  • Riders Plus
  • Desjardins
  • Aviva
  • RBC
  • Mitch Insurance
  • Open Road Insurance/StreetRider

I'll update the list as info comes in.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Allstate does M1, but they will mostly likely steer you towards some kind of bundle to give you anything decent.

Rider's Plus is a broker, I'm with echelon though them.
Correct, but when I called they said no. Other brokers have said yes and quoted Echelon as well.
I used AHA Insurance Brokers in Waterloo - make them do the work. As has been suggested, it helps when you lump everything together.
Their website states "Please note: you must have a valid M2 license in order to get a motorcycle insurance quote!"

Correct, but when I called they said no. Other brokers have said yes and quoted Echelon as well.

Their website states "Please note: you must have a valid M2 license in order to get a motorcycle insurance quote!"
Interesting; so it's not the insurance company saying no, it's the broker. I didn't realize that was a thing.

Got one quote through Trigon Insurance brokers for $4338! Not sure which insurer. For new riders it's looking like Echelon is the best bet.

Well that was a quick turnabout. Thought they were one of the companies promoting that option more recently.

Without doubt they had a lot of M1 riders flock to them when they started offering it, and then paid the price when a lot of them crashed and made claims.

Not surprising. Motorcycle + zero training = not a good recipe for a lot of people, especially the younger crowd.

Got one quote through Trigon Insurance brokers for $4338! Not sure which insurer. For new riders it's looking like Echelon is the best bet.
...for you. There is no rhyme or reason in motorcycle insurance.

Call as many brokers and companies as you can. I am with Echelon on my Supersport 950S, another member was told that it is a black listed model with Echelon. 🤷‍♂️

M1 is a 90 day permit, seems fruitless to get insurance at this phase of the graduated licensing program.

M1 is a 90 day permit, seems fruitless to get insurance at this phase of the graduated licensing program.

I've seen people just renew it 2-3 times over the period of a summer of riding.

The point of the permit is to start the process. How so you practice for the test if you cannot ride a motorcycle?
Yes, you can take a course, but that is not a mandatory requirement to get your M2.
It's a chicken and egg problem. No insurance for you until you learn to ride, no learning to ride until you have insurance.

I think it would almost be better for no company to insure with M1...
Get your M1, do the MSF, get your M2 and insure at that point. The MSF is your training/practice. I think the MSF should be mandatory.
It's a chicken and egg problem. No insurance for you until you learn to ride, no learning to ride until you have insurance.
I disagree, you can learn to ride without insurance at the MSF. The MSF also gives you your M2. At that point you insure, practice, then take your M2 exit test with the ministry.

I think it would almost be better for no company to insure with M1...
Get your M1, do the MSF, get your M2 and insure at that point. The MSF is your training/practice. I think the MSF should be mandatory.

I disagree, you can learn to ride without insurance at the MSF. The MSF also gives you your M2. At that point you insure, practice, then take your M2 exit test with the ministry.
I am assuming that MSF is some version of 'Learning Curves' and the like.

I mentioned that in my post. While I agree that everyone should take one of these courses, it is not a requirement of the license process.
It's a third party solution to the issue. Just because it is a good idea does not negate the problem with the process.

I think driver training should be mandatory for all license classes. But it is not.

Last edited:
The law says that everybody must be able to get insurance in the province of Ontario. But it does not say is that it must be affordable.

Ultimately, if a freshly minted 16 year old M1 licensed rider is determined to buy a Hayabusa as their first bike, ultimately they CAN get insurance, they will just have to go to a broker that deals with facility to do so instead of the mainstream options that the rest of us typically use.

However, a couple thousand dollars a month in premiums would likely be the quote you get back. So you CAN get insurance, you just won't like the price.

The law says that everybody must be able to get insurance in the province of Ontario. But it does not say is that it must be affordable.

Ultimately, if a freshly minted 16 year old M1 licensed rider is determined to buy a Hayabusa as their first bike, ultimately they CAN get insurance, they will just have to go to a broker that deals with facility to do so instead of the mainstream options that the rest of us typically use.

However, a couple thousand dollars a month in premiums would likely be the quote you get back. So you CAN get insurance, you just won't like the price.
See first post for the list of companies that do not insure with M1.

Back
Top Bottom