Loud vs quiet exhaust? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud vs quiet exhaust?

The down side is that the cops hear you coming miles away before they see you. I don't give a c$%p about residential noise. Lawnmowers, dogs, chainsaws, aircraft, trucks, trains, atv's, dirtbikes... are all part of deal.

All of those things draw the ire or residents as well--and have resulted in denser by-law regulation over time. So the rebels without a clue are in fact creating more bureaucracy, not less, with their carelessness.

Still, I recognize the use of loud-pipe turkeys in drawing the attention of constabulary away from myself, so in a strange way, I am grateful.

Loud pipes NOT defensive riding save lives.

OP keep the loudest most obnoxious, irritating exhaust you can get. Piss off everyone within a few hundred metres of you. That way you will continue to meet the revenue projections of your local constabulary and the rest of us can ride without fear of a senseless ticket.....lol

Seriously rely on your riding abilites and skills to keep you safe not the false security of a loud pipe. Using the example of the 16 year old with the music cranked he can't even hear a siren 3 feet off his rear bumper he is NOT going to hear your "loud" rear facing pipes either.

Loud pipes NOT defensive riding save lives.

OP keep the loudest most obnoxious, irritating exhaust you can get. Piss off everyone within a few hundred metres of you. That way you will continue to meet the revenue projections of your local constabulary and the rest of us can ride without fear of a senseless ticket.....lol

Seriously rely on your riding abilites and skills to keep you safe not the false security of a loud pipe. Using the example of the 16 year old with the music cranked he can't even hear a siren 3 feet off his rear bumper he is NOT going to hear your "loud" rear facing pipes either.

So what? There's no assurance or expectation that any of our conspicuity measures -- hi-viz, modulated headlights, auxiliary lighting, loud(er) exhausts etc -- are going to catch the attention of all drivers but if it catches the attention of even one guy about to lane change into you then it's worth it.

I don't know why people have to make things "all or nothing" deals; loud pipes won't catch the attention of a 16 yo moron ergo loud pipes are useless. It's a fallacious argument.

So what? There's no assurance or expectation that any of our conspicuity measures -- hi-viz, modulated headlights, auxiliary lighting, loud(er) exhausts etc -- are going to catch the attention of all drivers but if it catches the attention of even one guy about to lane change into you then it's worth it.

I don't know why people have to make things "all or nothing" deals; loud pipes won't catch the attention of a 16 yo moron ergo loud pipes are useless. It's a fallacious argument.

Then why is all or nothing in your example too? How using the 16 year old example having a loud pipe, (which he cant hear), going to prevent him from making that same stupid lane change??? I am merely pointing out given that you as a rider have no idea if it is a 16 year with blaring music or a 90 year old hard of hearing person driving that car, rely more on your abilities and skill than falsely believing that the loud pipe will save you. So the skill and ability is a true given known factor, weather or not that other driver can hear your obnoxiously lod pipe is an unkown, Personnally I would prefer to rely upon the known than the unknown.

Again one shouldn't be relying upon hiViz, modulating head lights or ANY other item, for a sense of security. But they should rely upon their ability and skills. Hell I have seen people turn left in front of fire trucks with lights and sirens, as well as full sized rigs. Not saying any of these devices don't "assist" just that they should NOT be relied upon

Last edited:
I prefer stealth and riding like everyone is out to get me....

...though, a mellow sound is nice....preferably only a touch above stock.

Then why is all or nothing in your example too? How using the 16 year old example having a loud pipe, (which he cant hear), going to prevent him from making that same stupid lane change??? I am merely pointing out given that you as a rider have no idea if it is a 16 year with blaring music or a 90 year old hard of hearing person driving that car, rely more on your abilities and skill than falsely believing that the loud pipe will save you. So the skill and ability is a true given known factor, weather or not that other driver can hear your obnoxiously lod pipe is an unkown, Personnally I would prefer to rely upon the known than the unknown.

Again one shouldn't be relying upon hiViz, modulating head lights or ANY other item, for a sense of security. But they should rely upon their ability and skills. Hell I have seen people turn left in front of fire trucks with lights and sirens, as well as full sized rigs. Not saying any of these devices don't "assist" just that they should NOT be relied upon

"There you go again" Ronald Reagan

Then why is all or nothing in your example too? How using the 16 year old example having a loud pipe, (which he cant hear), going to prevent him from making that same stupid lane change??? I am merely pointing out given that you as a rider have no idea if it is a 16 year with blaring music or a 90 year old hard of hearing person driving that car, rely more on your abilities and skill than falsely believing that the loud pipe will save you.

"...falsely believing that the loud pipe will save you..." strikes me as another strawman hedo: that's not the argument. No one is saying that with loud pipes one can throw caution to the wind, wear no gear and race through traffic.

I don't know about you but I don't rely on any one thing for my own safety. I wear a goofy looking Power Ranger hi-viz jacket as well as have a hi-viz helmet to enhance my chances of being seen. Risk mitigation strategy: be conspicuous, be seen.

My head's on a swivel, I watch everything. I slow, do the "SMIDSY" weave and cover the brakes approaching intersection and high-risk situations. Risk-mitigation strategy: avoid hazards and be ready to deal with them as best as possible.

I also have a Yoshimura R77 on my bike. On top of sounding nice it also serves another risk mitigation strategy: be heard.

I don't rely solely on my skills. I'm not John McGuiness; I'm not arrogant enough to assume my skills will get me out of every possible bind. Far from it. I want to leverage the fact that other drivers have a sense of hearing as well as vision. I want to minimize the chances I'll need to use whatever skills I have by increasing the chances someone else knows I'm there.

Visibility, lighting, skills, sound (etc) are all tools available to us that we can use to make ourselves safer. No one thing can save you (and indeed, in some cases nothing can save you); it's all about risk reduction.

So the skill and ability is a true given known factor, weather or not that other driver can hear your obnoxiously lod pipe is an unkown, Personnally I would prefer to rely upon the known than the unknown.

I always ride like I'm invisible and silent. However, that is only part of risk mitigation. Hi-viz and sound further reduces risk because other driver's may see/hear you giving you an additional buffer. No, not every driver is assured to know you're there based on sound (or viz for that matter) but if even one doesn't cross into your lane because he heard you, what's the value on that?

Again one shouldn't be relying upon hiViz, modulating head lights or ANY other item, for a sense of security. But they should rely upon their ability and skills.

Ideally they should be pulling all of these -- and more -- tools from the tool box for risk reduction.

Two riders of equal skill: one is dressed like a ninja, the other like a Christmas tree. Which is likely to be safer overall?

Hell I have seen people turn left in front of fire trucks with lights and sirens, as well as full sized rigs. Not saying any of these devices don't "assist" just that they should NOT be relied upon

Who's arguing that? I see sound as one more tool and do not rely on any one thing. You're continually arguing that because you won't be heard by <insert example here> loud pipes have zero value. It's simply not true.

I almost got clipped. All I heard was a whoosh. It was too little too late.

I also have a Yoshimura R77 on my bike. On top of sounding nice it also serves another risk mitigation strategy: be heard.

yeah and piss off some driver who swivels his head and turns into your lane as a result - going where he looks syndrome.
....spare us the loud pipe crap.
It's circa grade 6 cards on a bicycle wheel fwap fwap fwap :rolleyes:

"...falsely believing that the loud pipe will save you..." strikes me as another strawman hedo: that's not the argument. No one is saying that with loud pipes one can throw caution to the wind, wear no gear and race through traffic.

I don't know about you but I don't rely on any one thing for my own safety. I wear a goofy looking Power Ranger hi-viz jacket as well as have a hi-viz helmet to enhance my chances of being seen. Risk mitigation strategy: be conspicuous, be seen.

My head's on a swivel, I watch everything. I slow, do the "SMIDSY" weave and cover the brakes approaching intersection and high-risk situations. Risk-mitigation strategy: avoid hazards and be ready to deal with them as best as possible.

I don't rely solely on my skills. I'm not John McGuiness; I'm not arrogant enough to assume my skills will get me out of every possible bind. Far from it. I want to leverage the fact that other drivers have a sense of hearing as well as vision. I want to minimize the chances I'll need to use whatever skills I have by increasing the chances someone else knows I'm there.

Visibility, lighting, skills, sound (etc) are all tools available to us that we can use to make ourselves safer. No one thing can save you (and indeed, in some cases nothing can save you); it's all about risk reduction.

I always ride like I'm invisible and silent. However, that is only part of risk mitigation. Hi-viz and sound further reduces risk because other driver's may see/hear you giving you an additional buffer. No, not every driver is assured to know you're there based on sound (or viz for that matter) but if even one doesn't cross into your lane because he heard you, what's the value on that?

Ideally they should be pulling all of these -- and more -- tools from the tool box for risk reduction.

Two riders of equal skill: one is dressed like a ninja, the other like a Christmas tree. Which is likely to be safer overall?

Who's arguing that? I see sound as one more tool and do not rely on any one thing. You're continually arguing that because you won't be heard by <insert example here> loud pipes have zero value. It's simply not true.

+ 1
Good post.

yeah and piss off some driver who swivels his head and turns into your lane as a result - going where he looks syndrome.

Another fallacy. According to your "logic" hi-viz is also a no-no since someone looking at you is going to drive into you. Police, fire and ambulances should stealthily and silently dart their way through traffic on emergency calls, sure that no one knows they're there lest one of them turn into the path or lane change whilst trying to see where all the racket is coming from. Road workers and tow truck operators should ditch the hi-viz protective wear and instead don camouflage and run vinyl wraps on their trucks to hide them at the shoulder of the road just in case someone looks at and steers toward them.

Does that make sense to you?

Last edited:
The only actually fallacy in this entire thread is your inability to see what others are saying. No one has said, (me included being heard is a bad thing). What we ARE saying is that running a straight or obnoxiously loud pipe, is not an "attempt" to save one's life, but it is a good way to piss people off and draw unwanted police attention.

The OP admits that his current pipe, (on his new to him bike), is so loud that it even bothers him. He asked if it was true that this would help save his life. No one has said it wouldn't but that he should rely more upon skills he will learn over time, (he only has been riding this past season on a 300 and the new bike is a 600 ss). His learning proper riding skills and gaining valuable abilities is at this point in his riding career much more important than keeping the loud pipe in the "belief" it will save his life.

This subject has been beaten to death, just as I have no verifiable SCIENTIFIC studies done, on the effects a loud motorcycle exhaust pipe, (seeing that is what we are talking here, sirens etc don't apply), on other drivers. Nor do you I suspect have and verifiable SCEINTIFIC studies pointing out that loud motorcycle exhaust pipes save lifes.

I know there are many antedotital stories of people saying a loud pipe saved them, just as there are many stories of Harleys with straight pipes still astoundingly getting hit despite their loud pipes.

Do I care if the OP runs an obnoxiously loud pipe on his bike? Only in the sense that it creates a bad perception by other members of society towards riders. His choice, (or not), to run that pipe won't affect the way I ride nor my insurance, so he can do as he pleases. Just as I choose to run stock doesn't affect him, (except if we are riding in close proximity, and a cop is having a bad day, it is likely not me who will be having an "interaction")...lol

Another fallacy. According to your "logic" hi-viz is also a no-no since someone looking at you is going to drive into you. Police, fire and ambulances should stealthily and silently dart their way through traffic on emergency calls, sure that no one knows they're there lest one of them turn into the path or lane change whilst trying to see where all the racket is coming from. Road workers and tow truck operators should ditch the hi-viz protective wear and instead don camouflage and run vinyl wraps on their trucks to hide them at the shoulder of the road just in case someone looks at and steers toward them.

Does that make sense to you?

If the po po is chasing you. You don't want loud

Well this thread has gone according to plan.

Stock pipe is best pipe. If you want to be noticed, then sound like an ice cream truck.

LMAO!

So where can I get "Pop goes the weasel exhaust" ?!

Seriously tho, as others had said a moderately louder exhaust may attract the right kind of attention - i.e. a cager would be made aware there's something buzzing in their blind spot.

Regardless of the exhaust type, never forget to always REVV IT UP nicely! you do have a _bike_, after all!!

LMAO! So where can I get "Pop goes the weasel exhaust" ?! Seriously tho, as others had said a moderately louder exhaust may attract the right kind of attention - i.e. a cager would be made aware there's something buzzing in their blind spot. Regardless of the exhaust type, never forget to always REVV IT UP nicely! you do have a _bike_, after all!!

The same way the Ice Cream truck does; Music, play music!

Anyways, if you need a loud exhaust to be seen, then "yer doin' it wrong!".
Exhausts are for being heard, not seen.
A stock exhaust can be heard by the vehicles around you.
So there's no reason for a louder one.
If you need to be heard a kilometre away, then "yer doin' it wrong!".

I have a 110 db horn.
If I need to use it, then I've done something wrong.
Usually, involving some poor chap who can't drive, and I don't want to be behind.
But at the same time, I'm being an arschloch; the same would go for your exhaust.

I have a 110 db horn.
If I need to use it,

Problem with that thought process it only permits you to be annoying, to those around you, when you feel the NEED to be heard, as opposed to being annoying to everyone all the time with a loud pipe...lol

Ever listen to 60's muscle car? Big inch V8 Ford, Chev or Dodge? How about something like a Ferrari or Porsche?

The sound of performance by a machine of performance is awesome.

Same with bikes.

I'd prefer my bikes have less volume and retain the rumble.

I know a HD fella mentioning performance is outrageous. It's all about the pose.

There is no place for straight pipes in the streets.

But a lot of the outrage for loud pipes could be put to rest if folks just controlled their right wrist.

Last edited:
The only actually fallacy in this entire thread is your inability to see what others are saying. No one has said, (me included being heard is a bad thing). What we ARE saying is that running a straight or obnoxiously loud pipe, is not an "attempt" to save one's life, but it is a good way to piss people off and draw unwanted police attention.

First, you're moving the goalposts hedo. Now it's "straight or obnoxiously" loud pipes don't save lives. Being heard, it seems we now agree, is a "good" thing. So right away, "loud" exhaust -- obnoxious or otherwise -- is a good thing from a driver-awareness perspective. Ergo, they assist -- your words from post #24 here -- in making other drivers aware of the presence of a bike in their vicinity. That's half the battle of course; having them react accordingly is the other and we have no control over that. But just as you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket, basically eliminating one of a driver's senses (hearing) from his perception toolbox means you essentially zero out his chances of hearing you. That may make the difference if he also doesn't see you.

Second, I am interested to see how urban accident statistics materialize over time as electric motorcycles begin to appear in increasing numbers in urban settings. This would include, BTW, electric bikes vs pedestrians as well as MVCs involving electric bikes and cars that didn't see nor hear them. We already know, for example, that pedestrians are more likely to be struck by a near-silent electric car than by a petrol-powered equivalent. A DailyMail (UK) article from March of 2015 reports that "walkers are 40 per cent more likely to be run over by a quiet hybrid or electric car than by one with a petrol or diesel engine" and that there was "a 54 per cent increase in pedestrian injuries in accidents involving quiet cars between 2012 and 2013". I've not done the full research but it appears that electric vehicles will likely be required to carry noise makers to alert pedestrians to their presence. In this case, noise does save lives. I don't see the difference between cars and pedestrians and cars and bikes.

But then again, you've sort of sidled from the "loud pipes don't save lives" argument to one involving objections to subjective measures of obnoxiousness so perhaps you agree: noise is a contributor to conspicuity and, in measured amounts at least, this is a good thing.

The issue of level of obnoxiousness is purely subjective. Even the police enforce this based on their own opinion; while dB SPLs can be objectively measured with calibrated equipment a level of obnoxiousness is based purely on one's opinion. There are posters here who appear to hate bikes and bikers in general who no doubt would classify even a fully-muffled Goldwing as a nuisance because, well, motorcycle. There are others who love the sound of a screaming I4 or V4 so much that they stop and watch a bike go by, the louder the better, because, well, MotoGP. Opinions likely vary wildly in the general populace as well.

I'd agree that an open pipe exiting under the engine is "obnoxious." I'd say he's maximizing his noise conspicuity at the expense of good will and, perhaps, good taste. But like other things, this needn't be a binary decision. It is possible for an exhaust to be loud enough to enhance conspicuity without being "obnoxious." I think a full-can exhaust like the Yoshi, especially with the insert installed, is a good example.

The OP admits that his current pipe, (on his new to him bike), is so loud that it even bothers him. He asked if it was true that this would help save his life. No one has said it wouldn't...

A lot of people here and elsewhere are adamant that loud pipes don't help save lives. I won't bother but a search of such threads here would likely turn up loads of arguments saying this very thing. The general argument of the "loud pipes don't save lives" faction includes things like the exhaust shoots out the back so people ahead of you never hear it. :rolleyes:

but that he should rely more upon skills he will learn over time, (he only has been riding this past season on a 300 and the new bike is a 600 ss). His learning proper riding skills and gaining valuable abilities is at this point in his riding career much more important than keeping the loud pipe in the "belief" it will save his life.

I agree that skills and situational awareness are among the most powerful tools we have to keep ourselves safe but argue that other "assists" like hi-viz and sound can also be valuable tools in helping to keep us be seen, heard and safe(r).

This subject has been beaten to death, just as I have no verifiable SCIENTIFIC studies done, on the effects a loud motorcycle exhaust pipe, (seeing that is what we are talking here, sirens etc don't apply) ...

I don't agree that you can simply poo-poo noise-makers ranging from train air horns to firetruck sirens; they are noise-makers designed to get your attention to let you know that these vehicles are approaching. And they work. I don't see how that's so different from a motorcycle making its presence known with sound.

, on other drivers. Nor do you I suspect have and verifiable SCEINTIFIC studies pointing out that loud motorcycle exhaust pipes save lifes.

As noted above studies involving electric vehicles and pedestrians are providing insight into how "quiet" vehicles pose a hazard to pedestrians. It's not a stretch to say that pedestrians not noticing a quiet vehicle and drivers not noticing a quiet motorcycle/vehicle are similar phenomena.

I know there are many antedotital stories of people saying a loud pipe saved them, just as there are many stories of Harleys with straight pipes still astoundingly getting hit despite their loud pipes.

Apples and oranges. A loud pipe may indeed contribute to a car stopping at the last moment; in places where lane splitting is allowed hits of throttle are often used to warn car drivers of the presence of a motorcycle coming up. Such a noise may stop a car from trying to dart across a lane of traffic if an opening forms.

OTOH, being hit "despite" a loud exhaust doesn't invalidate the aforementioned benefit. I've already stipulated to the fact that nothing can protect us from every eventuality; a car driver may continue with his lane change and take the bike in the passenger door but the key point is that with "loud pipes" there are a non-zero percentage of drivers that will stop, that not every one will proceed. Someone who didn't see a bike in his blindspot has a better chance of stopping if he hears that sound. That's one example. If that one example involves you as a rider you'd think your pipes saved your *** on that one occasion. How many occasions for how many riders is required for them to be deemed beneficial?

Part of the problem, of course, is that we often don't know when a loud(er) exhaust contributed to our safety. If we make it home was it because someone along the way heard us coming and as a result, didn't do something stupid to ruin our day? Would we even be aware of this as we motored merrily along?

Last edited:
Blackfin once again you have mastered the inability to read WHAT is beign said to you. So I will leave it at this the OP questioned if his LOUD pipe, (which even he finds excessively loud), will save lives.

There is NO scentific or statistical studies that have stated conclusively that loud pipes save lives. So feel free to post such a study to refute what virtually everyone agrees provides riders with a false sense that they do.

I excluded sirens and as you put "other noise makers", as there the subject here is do loud pipes save lives not do sirens save lives so I am limiting my area of discussion to the topic at hand. Even though you have tried to drag it off topic with discussins of HiViz etc.

Honestly if you FEEL that noise will save your life then can I also assume you operate a cage with a loud pipe, or do you operate your cage with the horn constantly blaring as surely these steps would save your life as well? Of course you don't so why is it then necessary to generate unneeded excessive noise with a bike. The vast majority of bikes operate without "loud pipes", (obnoxious or otherwise), yet there riders seem to navigate unscthed without the need to annoy the motoring public. If loud pipes were so effective then why is that bikes with loud pipes still are involved in collisions surely the loud pipes should have prevented this from happening after all now everyone on the road is aware of their presence. Why is then that the manufacturers don't automatiiclay make loud pipes OEM, surely their engineers have studied the "noise factor" as a safety consideration

Your attempt to muddy the waters even further with a study of electric cars is ludicrous. No one here has suggested that bikes suddenly begin to "run silent" a bike with a stock exhaust is far from "silent" but you may not notice this due to years of hearing loss due to running loud pipes.

As I said free world, you may continue to annoy everyone else just so you feel safer, (well at least until those whom you annoy outlaw anything other than a stock exhaust). Till then, it makes no difference to me, with 35 years of riding experience I have never felt the need for noise to protect me. I rely on my skill and abilities.

Back
Top Bottom