Loud vs quiet exhaust? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud vs quiet exhaust?

My loud pipes?

I'm tempted to start her up and post a video here... I'm sorry, but I love the sound of my pipes.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

You should do it, I could probably make a vid of mine as well. So people could hear what I'm talking about.

Loud pipes :)

Ah, finally some truth.
I'm always truthful ☺
Ever since I was a kid, I wanted a nice rumble, a little backfire. (And not just after some burritos) Yeah. That's the ish right there.
Curious though, someone posted that loud pipes make bikers look bad...guess I should never buy a Civic then. Those guys have stupid exhausts on them. ?
Seriously, like posted earlier, I would not want a quiet Maserati Quattroporte.

My loud pipes?

I'm tempted to start her up and post a video here... I'm sorry, but I love the sound of my pipes.

Wouldn't that require effort? Don't you have a sore arm or something?

Wouldn't that require effort? Don't you have a sore arm or something?
Yes and yes.

Or are you one of those who when presented with evidence that is contrary to your viewpoint pretends it doesn't exist?
When it's anecdotal evidence, then yes. ;)

Do I have a point of view on the subject? Yes. Does it matter? No.
This is one of those motorcycle subjects that always turns into a pissing contest just like the thread has shown. I love it.

Last edited:
I'm always truthful ☺
Ever since I was a kid, I wanted a nice rumble, a little backfire. (And not just after some burritos) Yeah. That's the ish right there.
Curious though, someone posted that loud pipes make bikers look bad...guess I should never buy a Civic then. Those guys have stupid exhausts on them. ��
Seriously, like posted earlier, I would not want a quiet Maserati Quattroporte.

Yeah but a fart can on a Civic is like putting powerstroke stacks on a Ford ranger.

Its different when the machine is worthy of the noise ;)

Made this video a couple days ago of us messing around in the country. You can hear the D&D a little bit although the sound is a bit distorted from the wind, still get a sense of it tho.

Check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIMWyvSQtCg

Last edited:
Private Pilot:

If you read one of my earlier replies you will see that I acknowledged that I have no studies, as I believe none exist solely for Motorcycle exhaust pipe sound levels, with a coorelation to increased rider safety. I did say that I would suspect the manufacturers engineers have likely studied it. If it was to provide a good "safety" feature then surely they would consider adding it even if only as an option.

I get the tractors have increased blind spots. But over the decades they also have improved sound dampening. I can only imagine how loud a pipe must have to be as the other poster, (who also drove tractors) said to defeat the nosie of your engine, CB, music, and any other devices which may be operating in your vehicle.

But again I would porefer a new rider such as the OP take the time to develop solid riding skills and abilities rather than rely upon loud pipes for his safety. Just as I would hope a new driver would actually learn how to park a vehicle rather than rely solely upon "park assist" to park the vehicle for them.

A rider with good skills and abilites is going to recognize the increased risk of riding in a tractors, (especially one with a trailer), blind spot. It is better to "hang back" a bit and wait until you can pass the unit in one quick and smooth movement rather than rely upon sitting there with your loud pipe and "hope" the driver has no other noises or distractions which may prevent the driver from hearing them.

But again to be clear, I am not opposed to a louder pipe on someone else's bike, (It won't affect me in the least). IF that pipe is "reasonable." Most of the time I have found that those who think a loud pipe will save their life are those who run straight pipes or have removed all baffles. Which would make sense after all if a "loud" pipe is going to be relied upon to ensure everyone hears you then doesn't logic dictate that it be as loud as possible?

A good example of this, is I live on a busy street in Oshawa. About 10 pm a month ago I heard a sport bike go by my place. My first thought was... "Man that is loud" I paid close attention, I could hear his exhaust, and from my knowledge of the area, I estimated he was at LEAST 2 km down the road before the sound returned to what most would consider a "normal" level. That pipe isn't going to save his life, BUT it surely will piss off virtually everyone within a 1 km radius of him/her. But I am sure the rider would claim they have that pipe to save his life... Of course MOST riders are going to be responsible with their pipe and ride accordingly, but it only takes a few and the regs will come.

Last edited:
Let me know how this goes, please. Does sound interesting as my horn is still stock and sucks.

I have a PIAA horn, louder than my car. I find people pay more attention to a horn than the constant roar of exhaust. Ymmv
I do however commend Joe for admitting the real deal, people like the sound. I'm pretty sure not many people lay out the cash for exhaust to be safe. ;)

When it's anecdotal evidence, then yes. ;)

Do I have a point of view on the subject? Yes. Does it matter? No.
This is one of those motorcycle subjects that always turns into a pissing contest just like the thread has shown. I love it.
Have a Urologist appt tomorrow. There will be an actual pissing contest. That is all.

Have a Urologist appt tomorrow. There will be an actual pissing contest. That is all.

Too much information ;)

Ah good ol' Flowmax to the rescue.

Do what you want but I think I get away with a lot on the road because I'm not calling attention to myself with the stock pipe. As for the saftey factor? Still can't say. It's been 15-16 years now and no one has run me over yet.

OK guys, I did a DB meter check on my CBR and it will hit 100db at full tilt. Not sure of the legal limit but it's on the same level as snowmobiles on the meter ha-ha.

Sounds the biz tho :p

Last edited:
But again to be clear, I am not opposed to a louder pipe on someone else's bike, (It won't affect me in the least). IF that pipe is "reasonable." Most of the time I have found that those who think a loud pipe will save their life are those who run straight pipes or have removed all baffles. Which would make sense after all if a "loud" pipe is going to be relied upon to ensure everyone hears you then doesn't logic dictate that it be as loud as possible?

I think this is the most moderate centre of the opinion possible that it'd be nice if we could all agree on.

I agree wholeheartedly that obnoxious straight pipes are annoying. I gave a Harley guy the finger a few weeks ago (Yes, I like living dangerously, and I'm pretty sure he was a pirate poseur anyways, nor was it likely he saw me) because he went out of his way to crackle his way (at what had to be near full throttle, with what was very clearly straight pipes) through an intersection full of pedestrians. If near deafened us.

But I'll stick to my guns that some amount of "being heard" is wise. I'm tired of all the perfect world scenarios that everybody screams where they're never in a scenario where they can't be seen (or are simply overlooked or unseen at a quick glance) by other drivers , because it's physically impossible that everybody drives any meaningful miles on a bike and doesn't end up in this situation unintentionally (or more important, even momentarily if intentionally) sooner or later. In a split second decision by another driver, perhaps an inattentive or woefully clueless one, there's no substitute for being heard, even if it's via what we'd all consider a "tasteful" pipe.

And don't overestimate how loud it is in a semi tractor nowadays - they're surprisingly quiet...hell, my work tractor is quieter underway than my Chevy Aveo I drive to and from work every day. If there's a bike anywhere near me (short of a quieter one perhaps directly behind me or something super quiet like a scooter), I hear it.

Last edited:
I should be dead from riding all that time with a stock exhaust. Also if you can't pass a vehicle safely don't pull up beside it and sit in their blind spot, leave a gap and when safe to do so complete the pass. Ride like you're invisible and you will live or have a better chance of it. A loud exhaust is not the answer.

Theres some a hole pirate that rides down my street and the day I end up in my car when he drives by I'm following him home where I will return with my bike sans exhaust to ride up and down his street and rev the ever living piss out of my bike. I'm quite excited for this.

Last edited:
Also if you can't pass a vehicle safely don't pull up beside it and sit in their blind spot, leave a gap and when safe to do so complete the pass.

And here's great example of why this topic is a lost cause.

You DO realize that, if even for a split second...during your passing maneuver every time you pass a vehicle you're in the vehicle's blind spot for a moment or two, right? If during that time (however short) the driver decides to change lanes (perhaps aggressively because the pimply faced 16 year old kid in the Honda think's he's Mario Andretti, or hell, a squirrel darted onto the road in front of him) you're now in the line of fire.

Unless you have an empty lane or two between you and the vehicle you're passing (at which point the issue is moot) it's impossible to avoid being in a vehicle's blind spot for at least SOME measureable time during the procedure.

Last edited:
@PrivotPilot I was on your side this whole thread. I really was. But then, Chevy Aveo? I have nothing further to say. ?

@PrivotPilot I was on your side this whole thread. I really was. But then, Chevy Aveo? I have nothing further to say. 

Hey, points for honesty at least. This is my other vehicle that allows me to retain my man card. ;)

And here's great example of why this topic is a lost cause.

You DO realize that, if even for a split second...during your passing maneuver every time you pass a vehicle you're in the vehicle's blind spot for a moment or two, right? If during that time (however short) the driver decides to change lanes (perhaps aggressively because the pimply faced 16 year old kid in the Honda think's he's Mario Andretti, or hell, a squirrel darted onto the road in front of him) you're now in the line of fire.

Unless you have an empty lane or two between you and the vehicle you're passing (at which point the issue is moot) it's impossible to avoid being in a vehicle's blind spot for at least SOME measureable time during the procedure.

Well then if Mario Andretti makes a stupid move your loud pipes aren't going to save you. If he didn't see your headlight in his mirror as you were approaching him and you were in his blind spot for .1s in which you should pay attention to the car your passing, if they start to move over you move over and accelerate past them (see I've had this happen a few times). By all this loud pipe logic I should have run over atleast 100 cars because I can't see them when they're right beside me in my truck and I sure as hell can't hear them. I should have been flattened by the 1000's of transport trucks that didn't hear me before I passed them either.

Back
Top Bottom