Looking for Moto Safety Volunteers for the Ride to Conquer Cancer! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for Moto Safety Volunteers for the Ride to Conquer Cancer!

Did I read this properly? You are asking for help with this event by requesting moto volunteers but they have to pay you $25 to volunteer.
If you are interested I don't think you should be complaining about $25 with all the incentives you would be receiving.
What incentives? Pay you back for the gas you would use(on the event...doesn't say for the mileage back from the Falls), meals and a hotel for the time you spend?
Seems interesting that I'd have to pay to volunteer. Never mind the wear on tires, etc. (small potatoes, but just an example).
Tony (and -D-), it's not about incentives, it's about participation. The $25 registration fee has a wide number of purposes - the first of which serves as a commitment to participate: some people would shrug off the $25 and not show up, but the majority of people who commit AND pay up usually keep that commitment. Look at it another way: the event provides two T-shirts (consider them a "uniform" for the event) and breakfast/lunch/dinner plus entertainment during the event (a figure upwards of $180 per crew member) so the $25 slightly offsets that cost. Lastly, you could consider it as a "financial donation" to a worthy cause followed by your personal participation which is rewarded with food, gas money, a tent to sleep in, massages and drinks, entertainment, and a million thanks during the course of the event.

Look up the posts from previous years, and you'll see photos and comments on how the event went - and then you'll understand why those that sign up keep coming back to volunteer or participate!

Last edited:
I will also be attending the MotorCycle Show Spring Show on March 21st & 22nd at the International Centre. If anyone has any questions about the event please don't hesitate to stop by and chat!

I will also be attending the MotorCycle Show Spring Show on March 21st & 22nd at the International Centre. If anyone has any questions about the event please don't hesitate to stop by and chat!

Can you provide a link to how the money raised from this event is actually spent? Specific breakdowns.

Here is the link for dollars at work http://to15.conquercancer.ca/site/PageServer?pagename=to15_dollarsatwork

http://www.thepmcf.ca/Our-Impact/Your-Dollars-At-Work

Those two links have alot of information. If you'd like to shoot me an email if you need further info I can send you more. My contact info is arthomson@conquercancer.ca

Those links actually have little information. But, I can see what you are doing.

I found it here:

http://www.charityintelligence.ca/charity-details/55-princess-margaret-cancer-foundation

Basically, 28.3% of money raised is used to fundraise and administer, and a little over of half a billion dollars is sitting in a bank account.

The program cost coverage has gone from 624% to 801% over three years.

Your CEO is among the top four paid in Canada's charities, in the $350K+ category (the highest).

I sit on the BoD (unpaid) of a small disease charity. I think it's important people know these numbers for any charity they want to support.

They can then decide if this is the most effective use of their dollars and if the fund raising is actually about the disease, or the expanding fundraising industry.

I did this for a few years.
This is a good time and well managed. It is a very interesting experience working with lots of good people.
I only stopped doing the ride because my favorite partner died of cancer in 2013.
And that kind of took the fun out of it.
If you have never done something like this, it is a GREAT weekend.
Sometimes, it feels like being a school crossing guard and at other times, it feels like you are a camera bike on the Tour de France. :)
The Saturday night is ALWAYS a good party. Even if it is in Hamilton and taking place in a field at Mohawk College. :)

Those links actually have little information. But, I can see what you are doing.
Remember that this is a FOR-PROFIT organization, but still the funds raised go to the hospital - as they do for the Lottery, the Hockey games, and whatever else the hospital is putting together to raise more money and increase awareness. But the most important thing to remember is that YOU - as a volunteer - are giving DIRECTLY by being there in person to help the participants through the course, and to support the survivors and those affected (directly and indirectly) navigate the event and survive the weekend.

[h=4]Average salary for 73 staff is over $122k a year?!? Damn! I've got to go work for a 'charity'....

I'm out.

Full-time staff #73[/h] [h=4]Avg. Compensation $122,109[/h] [h=4]Top 10 Staff Salary Range[/h]
$350k +1
$300k - $350k1
$250k - $300k4
$200k - $250k1
$160k - $200k3
$120k - $160k0
$80k - $120k0
$40k - $80k0
< $40k0

signed up once. Okay experience, you get some swag and they feed you. I didn't feel like I was volunteering, it was more 'working' if that makes sense and that's why I didn't go back. Btw once they have your email and phone # the rings just don't stop!!

Average salary for 73 staff is over $122k a year?!? Damn! I've got to go work for a 'charity'....

I'm out.

Full-time staff #73

Avg. Compensation $122,109

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k +1
$300k - $350k1
$250k - $300k4
$200k - $250k1
$160k - $200k3
$120k - $160k0
$80k - $120k0
$40k - $80k0
< $40k0

So.....what would be the salary ranges for the other 63 full-time staff?

Thanks CafeRay for posting this. I'm tired of being asked to volunteer when CEOs in these organizations are getting $200-$300k/yr plus lucrative expense accounts. It's rare to see reason win out over emotion and these charities are experts at appealing to our emotions.

..more of the same bs at the PanAm Games.....

http://www.toronto2015.org/volunteer

while......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...xpensed-wine-shirts-parking-tickets-1.2871353

I found it here:

http://www.charityintelligence.ca/charity-details/55-princess-margaret-cancer-foundation

Basically, 28.3% of money raised is used to fundraise and administer, and a little over of half a billion dollars is sitting in a bank account.

The program cost coverage has gone from 624% to 801% over three years.

Your CEO is among the top four paid in Canada's charities, in the $350K+ category (the highest).

I sit on the BoD (unpaid) of a small disease charity. I think it's important people know these numbers for any charity they want to support.

They can then decide if this is the most effective use of their dollars and if the fund raising is actually about the disease, or the expanding fundraising industry.

Last edited:
Thanks CafeRay for posting this. I'm tired of being asked to volunteer when CEOs in these organizations are getting $200-$300k/yr plus lucrative expense accounts. It's rare to see reason win out over emotion and these charities are experts at appealing to our emotions.

..more of the same bs at the PanAm Games.....

http://www.toronto2015.org/volunteer

while......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...xpensed-wine-shirts-parking-tickets-1.2871353

And expect you to pay $25 to participate. :(

"You lost 15 friends on motorcycles? and you have only been riding since 2008? was this a group ride that fell off a cliff or are you being serious?"-ZX600

I believe that the executives should be compensated accordingly. They are running a multi million dollar business. I would not want a second tier manager looking after this, and that's exactly what you would get paying less. They are charities, but they are also a business. That being said, I believe that they should be held to a higher standard to stay within a set % of operating costs. If I feel that my donation money is not being directed to where I think it should be, or the administration costs are too high, I will stop donating to said charity.
As far as the $25 fee goes, it has been addressed that it helps keep people committed. Although a small fee, imo, if you pay that, there is a better chance of showing up. Just my $0.02.

I'm doing the Ride for Dad this year. They want 30 bucks to register. Whats the big deal people!!! This is for charity! They aren't asking 2500.00. It's coffee money for the week. Get over it and do something good with your time and money.

I'm doing the Ride for Dad this year. They want 30 bucks to register. Whats the big deal people!!! This is for the executives salaries! They aren't asking 2500.00. It's coffee money for the week. Get over it and do something good with your time and money.

Fixed that for you.

Charity is only a name they hang on a business.

As my Dad has terminal prostate cancer - I don't give a s*** if only 5 bucks goes to the cause. What these charities have done for my father is beyond my imagination. Paying fully for the drugs he can't afford. Without this medication he would not have the quality of life. And it all started from some volunteer who paid a small fee that got him that help. Try thinking about the people that need the help and don't worry about the politics. To all of you out there who ride and who donate. I personally thank you! Thank you for your efforts. You have helped my Dad. All you dudes out there get your PSA tested. Your daughters love ya!

Back
Top Bottom