Looking for Moto Safety Volunteers for the Ride to Conquer Cancer! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for Moto Safety Volunteers for the Ride to Conquer Cancer!

We're interested, but have a couple questions.

1. What are the actual jobs that riders/passengers will be doing?

2. Is the event's volunteers contact list kept separate from the regular Princes Margaret contact list, or should we expected to be inundated with fundraising spam from here to eternity if we just volunteer for this?

3. Are volunteers expected to do any personal fund raising?

Thanks,

Hi there,
Here is a brief description of what Moto Safety Volunteers do;

Moto Safety works with Road Dispatch staff and local law enforcement to guarantee safe passage for Riders during each day's route. Assist at difficult intersections and other locations as requested. Teammates will be paired up in sets of two to and have the opportunity to see that riders get through intersections safely and cheer them on! Cyclists will be screened as necessary for appropriate experience and training. Required to provide own motorcycle, helmet, copy of your license, and proof of insurance.

Secondly the event's volunteers contact information is not given to Princess Margaret Cancer Centre. The only emails you will receive are from the event and you can also choose to limit those emails when you register.

Thirdly Crew members are encouraged to fund raise as every little bit helps but their is no minimum!

I participated in the ride last year and it was easily the best organized event I've ever been a part of. I worked like hell to raise funds and was rewarded 10 fold. I signed up for the ride this year but can't do it due to personal commitments that popped up this year but I'd love the opportunity to give back to the event by volunteering. I can't believe people would complain about a $25 fee (the "me first" generation), but, at $25 to participate in a life changing event, that $25 will be the best money you spend this year.

From what I saw last year, the motorcycle brigade were used to marshall the ride and keep everyone in the right lane, provided water, had photographers as passengers, and provided First Aid. They also encouraged riders during the most challanging parts (the ride up the college in Hamilton is difficult for many after 90kms) and lent a helping hand in the event of a mechanical. I'm sure there are more roles but those are the ones I saw. The crew is also a big part of the Saturday night event as they get a well deserved hand for the big part they play in this event.

I'm in for 4 years running, best experience ever, each and every year! I would never hesitate to volunteer for RTCC!!

Sorry if this was covered, but am I required to have a passenger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you can. The passenger has to be a registered crew member though and participate with the ride. They will get the same accommodation, meals included, as well as their two t-shirts for their help throughout the weekend. Email me at arthomson@conquercancer.ca if you have any other questions!

Is there any interest/need for a guy on a motorcycle who can repair flats and other basic roadside repairs.

Thinking about it but I have very little group riding experience. Do plenty of riding in heavy Toronto traffic, though. Also not so sure my noisy, stinky, smoky, 2 stroke would be appreciated by the cyclists...

We would love your help Dave! We have a bike tech team that would be super helpful if you would like to join. Do you have any friends that are also skilled in bike repair?[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Emailed the address provided for myself and my gf.

I raced road and mountain bikes forever, and was a bike tech. Rode (and won, it's a race up front folks) the first quebec rtcc. Maybe I'll sign up to assist to. Can we help out for just one day?

My name is Nick and - together with the other two co-captains - would like to give you a more detailed intro to the Moto Safety Team and our roles. I understand some of you wish to join us, which is fantastic: we need about 100~120 people for this year's event. Last year (the 7th anniversary of the event) we had less than 60 motorcyclists and we were stretched extremely thin at times. Please read below, and don't hesitate to contact me back should you have any specific questions about the event (June 13 & 14). Looking forward to hearing back from you, and seeing the team numbers increase over the next weeks!

1. This is NOT a ride!
It may be called that because that's what the 5,000+ cyclists will be doing - but that is NOT what we will be doing. Our job is to STAND THERE in the middle of various intersections, for hours on end, to cheer them on as they cycle by and to get them through the intersection(s) safely. Our day begins at 6:30am on Saturday and ends at 7:30pm, and then repeats the next day. Also note that this is a RAIN OR SHINE EVENT and participation in the event implies full-time attendance, so please consider this "an actual job" rather than a weekend of being outdoors and riding around the countryside. Your absence would be impacting more than just your riding partner (we partner up in pairs for the entire weekend) but also the entire team.

2. We do NOT patrol the route!
Our job is to get from one key intersection to the next key intersection, as fast and as safe as possible - and to stay there until called upon to move forward to the next intersection. For clarification:
- we don't ride with the cyclists
- we don't ride by the cyclists
- we don't ride alongside the cyclists
- we don't ride really anywhere near the cyclists until we get to our intersection or when we leave it. At other times, fastest and shortest route from A to B is preferred.

3. We DO NOT direct traffic!
Our job is to ensure the safe passage of the cycling participants across dangerous - and often unmarked - intersections, whilst obeying the rules of the road and the Highway Traffic Act at all times. We do not stop traffic, nor interfere with it in any way; we merely "instruct" the cyclists to ride in a safe and organized manner along the 200+ km route. It may sound simple or banal, but if you've ever come across a group of 5-10 cyclists in traffic within the city, you know how "strength in numbers" gives them the idea that they can occupy an entire lane of traffic... so now imagine groups of 400-1000 cyclists together, riding down country roads: it can be nightmarish! Thus, our presence is paramount in maintaining order along the route and especially at critical intersections.

4. How the Moto Safety team functions:
We've had groups of friends in the past that joined to "be together as a group", but that does NOT happen on this event. Everyone gets paired with just one partner for the duration of the 2-day ride (either your passenger, or a veteran of the event), and they get dispatched together to key intersections. The success of our team is our FULL reliance on our one partner, and the clear communication with the route captain and with the dispatcher. We are the first team out on the road at 6:30am on Saturday, last one in at camp after 7:30pm... and then we repeat on Sunday. However, breakfast-lunch-dinner and drinks are provided on Saturday, and breakfast/lunch/drinks are provided on Sunday, plus all fuel will be reimbursed at the end of the event (keep your receipts). Lodging is provided on Saturday night in the form of a tent set up on the field of Mohawk College (Hamilton), for which you must provide your own sleeping gear - which a transport truck will collect and carry for you on both days, at no charge. Showers, massages, snacks, and live entertainment is also provided on Saturday evening at camp. In previous years we each also got a $20 cash stipend in return for using our own cell phones during the event.

I've been doing these events for 14 years now, and have a pretty good idea of what to expect - and what to ask of my team members - so we continue the event's success. We will have a team meeting meeting towards the middle of May - attendance isn't mandatory but strongly encouraged: after the meeting, we always send out the minutes and all other pertinent information - none of which will be "news" to anyone, as we would have had prior constant communication with all (and each) members.

Additionally, a Warm Up cycling ride is scheduled for sometime this spring - you're welcome to volunteer for that day in order to get an early preview of what we might be encountering during the event. A group of about 10 Moto Safety people will support roughly 300-500 cyclists on the two routes, but only for a few hours in the morning.

In closing, as you'll first need to register online at www.conquercancer.ca - and join the Moto Safety Team as a CREW member - we have a few requests:

- tell us if you have a preference for which route to be assigned to (if any) or if you're indifferent: Toronto or Niagara
- tell us about your motorcycle and a bit about your riding experience

I trust that group riding and all-weather riding isn't a problem. We very much look forward to working alongside with you for the RCC 2015. Kindly please also forward this email to any of your other buddies who ride - and feel free to invite more friends to contact us about the event: we really need the support! You can reach me directly by email with further questions, at minidisco72@gmail.com or by phone/SMS at (416) 890-0563 any time, I welcome your interest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom