Lee Parks and Total Control are coming to Ontario | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lee Parks and Total Control are coming to Ontario

just my 2 cents! It was Awesome! Everyone did a great job, I am very honered to be able to come up and help Nancy and Donna out with the classes! Thanks to Jen for coming out to take the pics!

Last edited:
Dave and Nancy,

You two are a great team of instructors. Love all the in class and explaining how everything works and why, in a way everyone can understand. Love the fact we were given feed back after every exercise, what we did good what to think about and work on for the next time a round. All the extra times we were allowed to try the exercises when we were almost there but just needed a couple times more around to get it.

Love that my attitude about my self and what I am capable of on my own bike changed drastically after level one and even more so with level two. Still can't get over how many people in class were coming up to me and asking my how long I have been riding and being surprised that I had not even completed my second season riding. That in its self is proof of how good this course is.

Had friend that has ridden with me when I first started out, come near the end when the mini track was set up and she was very impressed with my new skills and confidence on the bike:) Thanks for the feed back Nyx13.

Thanks so much Sharp Rider for bringing Lee Parks Total Control to Ontario, this was an awesome experience and so worth the money!!!

Cannot wait for you guys to bring out Level 3 and the Track Course to Ontario as well. I'll be waiting on the email for the practice day for all your students:)

Thanks again,

Raph

On a side note - I wish this course was available when I had my GS500. Guy who attended on his Ninja 250 (and it is his first season) looked like he had a blast. I do have whole new level of respect for my FZ6 but I think it would have been even more fun on a lighter bike.

Being the guy on the 250 I can guarantee that it was indeed a lot of fun. :)

Also for the new riders, this is an awesome course to take if you are not completelly green. I'm on my first season with over 3000 miles. The course provided me with great techniques (which I will need to work on) and helped me a lot with my confidence, as well as understanding a few things that will help me being a better rider. I will be back for L2 next year.

Being the guy on the 250 I can guarantee that it was indeed a lot of fun. :)

Also for the new riders, this is an awesome course to take if you are not completelly green. I'm on my first season with over 3000 miles. The course provided me with great techniques (which I will need to work on) and helped me a lot with my confidence, as well as understanding a few things that will help me being a better rider. I will be back for L2 next year.

hey bud - make it this year! See if July 29 has spots available.

Everybody pretty much summed it up and I agree with all the positive comments.

I like the personal attention each one of us received. Every criticism was constructive and I loved the friendliness of David and Nancy.

By the end of the day, I was kinda sad that the day was over.... but luckily theres L2 :)

Everybody pretty much summed it up and I agree with all the positive comments.

I like the personal attention each one of us received. Every criticism was constructive and I loved the friendliness of David and Nancy.

By the end of the day, I was kinda sad that the day was over.... but luckily theres L2 :)

I was waiting for your feedback - do you feel the course helped you with your issue?

Course was awesome. Level 2 exceeded my expectations in every way it could.

Thought I was a wicked rider after level 1, wasn't.
Thought I knew how to quickshift, didn't
Thought I knew how to downshift, didn't.
Thought I consistently trail braked into turns, didn't.

It is something else to have actual professionals critique your riding in a way that a laymen rider can understand. Every word out of both Nancy and Dave's mouths helped, and it helped a lot.

To have a month+ between the level 1 and level 2 also helped. Level 1 was intense and to be able to let it 'veg' for a month really made it concrete in my riding. Buddy on the busa must have had a brain overload doing both courses over a weekend!

I found that level 1 was all about body position, really concentrating on hanging off and getting your centerline to the inside of the turn. Level 2 was more technical and about controlling your motorcycle. I found that in level 2 it was easier for me to put less emphasis on body position, work on the actual motor skills required for each exercise, and then after getting the thumbs up from either Dave or Nancy, focusing on getting to the inside of the turn and my center of gravity down low. For me to focus on 'pretzeling' my body, while at the same time looking far through turns, getting on/off throttle smoothly, while braking, was just too much for me to process. By the TC solo course I was good to go and that was all about incorporating body position on top of the mechanical skills that made the bike super smooth.

I can control my bike better than ever. And although I wouldn't drag a knee making a right-hander at a green light, I know that I am capable of doing so.

In short, I feel the instructors really knew their stuff. They always had feedback that made sense to the rider (at least to me). And that goes miles (or km) in my books! They really understood the material and fully immersed their students in every aspect of it. I love that they gave way more information than a typical student could handle, so that everyone had things to improve on as they continued after the course. That was the true worth of this course.

This course really impressed me. I was skeptical but am now pleasantly surprised.

I was waiting for your feedback - do you feel the course helped you with your issue?

I think so, we'll see in the few days to come. I'm confident in the parking lot, but I haven't really hit the streets yet. After I left, I went straight home to sleep lol.

One thing I can attest to for sure though, I am smoother, now that I know how. ;)

I think so, we'll see in the few days to come. I'm confident in the parking lot, but I haven't really hit the streets yet. After I left, I went straight home to sleep lol.

One thing I can attest to for sure though, I am smoother, now that I know how. ;)

Haha - awesome!

hey bud - make it this year! See if July 29 has spots available.

I'm thinking about taking an intro race course in august. It will be too much time (aka money). Lol

Wow, yesterday really was a good amount of work! You certainly spend more time on the bike during Level 2.

Don't know how much more I can say that's much different than what others have already posted above. Dave and Nancy did a great job, as usual, teaching what we needed/wanted to know and then later providing valuable feedback on what was necessary to improve upon during the exercises.

I mentioned it in the class, but for prosperity's sake ... Level 2 dots the Is and crosses the Ts to what you learn in Level 1. It is an excellent continuation and compliment to take your knowledge of yourself and your bike to the next level. Take whatever mix you want out of it - safer, more control, more confidence, faster ... the tools you add to your "toolbox of knowledge" with BOTH of these courses are invaluable. (I had the proverbial "the truck around the corner" moment 2 weeks after taking Level 1 ... had no problem avoiding Mr 18Wheeler while he was taking up the whole road around a blind corner - thanks Total Control!)

The TC solo course at the end is something I am hoping will become a mandatory part of the day (or perhaps it already is? not sure). I think it's an important (hidden) lesson to help riders "put it all together". Giving riders the opportunity to work on the teachings in the course layout, I believe, helps to give it a bit of a "real world" experience - afterall, you don't always get to line up before doing a stoppie, OHOH I mean an emergency braking maneuver, or pick that perfect line coming into the blind decreasing radius corner, right?!??! :) Exiting the oval and entering the radius wakes one up and makes one think (and maybe drag hard parts lol)! Certainly something that "needs to be".

The obvious question Level 1-ers will have is "is it worth it?" - I say a resounding YES!

Also, gotta spam just a bit - having the Total Control book to fall back on and review when needed is VERY handy. No joking though - it really IS! :)

I do need to add one thing (and i'm posting rather than PMing so others take this into consideration) - taking Level 1 and 2 back to back in the same weekend, like kiterider did, is something that should be avoided imho (perhaps as far as it not being allowed at all). Information overload is easily possible, but I think the more pertinent part is that you simply don't have enough time to get physically and mentally comfortable with the new techniques taught during Level 1 ... then you're suddenly thrown (quickshifted? :p ) into second with even more stuff. Without establishing Level 1 as a solid foundation I think the Level 2 teachings are compromised.

Special thanks, as always, to GTAMotorcycle for providing fantastic support and Jenerator for great pics (which you will all see soon enough - gotta see John on his Goldwing man! Scraaaaaape! hahaha Awesome work man!).

Buddy on the busa must have had a brain overload doing both courses over a weekend!

Brain overload is correct. I should have taken a bit of a breather.

But the best part of the course, for me, is that it's shown me why I fell in love with motorcycling in the first place. I thought I could ride, but then I realized how little I knew. The possibilities, of how much I can get out of my motorcycle, are endless.

As Andrew mentioned, I can't add much more to what was already said, but Dave and Nancy were awesome. Bang on on almost everything that I was messing up. It looks the season has just started for me and I can't wait to start honing those skills.

hey guys is there a minimum riding experience required for this course? i am a wee bit shy of one year riding. can i still take it?

or would you think its more beneficial if i took it after a bit more experience?

hey guys is there a minimum riding experience required for this course? i am a wee bit shy of one year riding. can i still take it?

or would you think its more beneficial if i took it after a bit more experience?

We do recommend that you have at least about 5000kms under your belt before taking this course.

Cheers

Paul

As paul already stated there is a recomendation of one year of 5,000 km but that is not hard and fast, evaluate yourself and if you are a good learner and ready to move forward? You are the final judge of what you can handle.

Wow - just look at this guy! Effortless, stress free and fluid - I see a bright future for this kid in MotoGP, he is smooooooth:
DSC01761%252520%2528Small%2529.jpg

On a serious note - OMG, so good to take a look at how you did. I can now see all the mistakes I made and realte even more to feedback Dave and Nancy gave me!

Jenerator - THANK YOU, order for DVD is coming!

The TC solo course at the end is something I am hoping will become a mandatory part of the day (or perhaps it already is? not sure).

The obvious question Level 1-ers will have is "is it worth it?" - I say a resounding YES!

Also, gotta spam just a bit - having the Total Control book to fall back on and review when needed is VERY handy. No joking though - it really IS! :)

I do need to add one thing (and i'm posting rather than PMing so others take this into consideration) - taking Level 1 and 2 back to back in the same weekend, like kiterider did, is something that should be avoided imho (perhaps as far as it not being allowed at all). Information overload is easily possible, but I think the more pertinent part is that you simply don't have enough time to get physically and mentally comfortable with the new techniques taught during Level 1 ... then you're suddenly thrown (quickshifted? :p ) into second with even more stuff. Without establishing Level 1 as a solid foundation I think the Level 2 teachings are compromised.

As always your feedback and information is valuable to everyone else.

1. The TC Solo is a part of all level II classes and as you mentioned it helps to let the students tie everything together. When I was riding the Solo with the trailer I was using body position, but more importantly using throttle control and trail braking so that my actions did not upset the bike and cause more problems trying to pull the trailer!

2. Having the Book is also Key, I recomend reading it before class as well, but that is not manditory, nice to have it to look back on over time as you practice and make sure you are still on track with what we are teaching.

3. As for Level I and II back to back, doing that is not for everyone and I also recommend seperating them, but some people who come from a racing background and have some of the skills might not find it as difficult. I have had some students that prefer the back to back format. I like to see the wait time of a couple weeks, and this is also one reson we did not offer level II on the first set of classes. let those people practice and come back for it next time around.

Wow - just look at this guy! Effortless, stress free and fluid - I see a bright future for this kid in MotoGP, he is smooooooth:
DSC01761%252520%2528Small%2529.jpg

Thanks for the compliment, didn't know we had the same bike and yellow pucks (...just kidding). It was a great day. I will see you for TC II.

Wow, yesterday really was a good amount of work! You certainly spend more time on the bike during Level 2.

Lol! As usual SLIM nailed it. I agree that taking a break between level one and two is far more beneficial then doing it over a weekend. The most important point being that the instructors didn't have to spend valuable time correcting level one mistakes, when they could have focused on the level two issues. The best example being body positioning and throttle control in L1 and dovetailing in the trail braking piece from L2. I'm pretty sure I was driving Dave and Nancy nuts with having them fix my body positioning issues while I was trying to integrate the trail braking in as well. There were just multiple things to sync together and I found that I was trying to do too many things at the same time.

If a sufficient time gap had been established, and given good practice time, the L1 stuff would've become second nature and I would have been able to just focus on the L2 stuff. And I guess I lost valuable input from the instructors there since they spent more time smoothing out my L1 issues.

That being said, the only advantage to taking both together is a question of time. I wasn't sure how many weekends I would have available and time constraints were not in my favour. But in hindsight, I would definitely take a least a couple of weeks before taking the L2. I don't think it should be disallowed altogether, but course takers should be informed. The decision can then be up to them on whether they want to space it apart or do it in one go.

Back
Top Bottom