Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly..... | Page 329 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.....

Who was in the wrong?

• Cop

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Dude who got shot

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 55 50.5%

• Total voters
As of April 1st, I believe police chiefs can suspend officers without pay so long as the cop is charged and the bad deeds happened off duty.

No examples yet -- but a lot of the stuff in this forum (possession of illegal firearms, assaults, use of stolen credit cards, sale of police radios...) would be fair game.
But I expect there will still be a huge grey area. They had and used stolen credit cards off duty....but sir I stole them while on duty--you can reach me at my boat for the next many years.

Regardless, it is a small step in the right direction.

As of April 1st, I believe police chiefs can suspend officers without pay so long as the cop is charged and the bad deeds happened off duty.

No examples yet -- but a lot of the stuff in this forum (possession of illegal firearms, assaults, use of stolen credit cards, sale of police radios...) would be fair game.
Punishment before conviction. HTA-172, meet the police department. Poetic justice?

I can see the concern of the rank and file cop facing trumped up charges that, in mass, could cripple police forces.

First the SIU has to stop being part of the blue line. Deal with facts not the usual CYA BS.

Treat the officer the same as any other alleged offender gets treated. No shooting someone then taking a vacation without handing over notes. You were issued a notebook and paid to fill it in. It is government property paid for by the government. If you don't cooperate it's like refusing a breathalyzer test with guilt assumed.

Have a 24 to 48 hour "On hold" period while facts are presented. It can be done without prejudice and changed down the line if needed.

Punishment before conviction. HTA-172, meet the police department. Poetic justice?
No other job requires a criminal conviction including jail before your employment can be affected. Police shouldn't have that bar either. Criminal conviction is beyond reasonable doubt. I don't know for sure but balance of probability probably makes more sense for employment issues which is a much lower bar.

Like that's ever going to happen - the union won't stand for it.

A court ruling from BC on charges of dangerous driving.. that I think some will find interesting. The article describes the hurdles of convicting someone with dangerous driving.. in this causing deaths.

Dangerous operation is always a tough charge to prove but often it's the only just charge. Under charging in order to virtually guarantee a conviction is why so many complain about short sentences for crashes involving the death of a motorcyclist.

Under charging in order to virtually guarantee a conviction is why so many complain about short sentences for crashes involving the death of a motorcyclist.
I wouldnt be too disappointed with careless convictions but they very often go with failure to yield or turn not in safety. That is way too far down the charge tree for me.

I wouldnt be too disappointed with careless convictions but they very often go with failure to yield or turn not in safety. That is way too far down the charge tree for me.
Had an older gent turn left in front of me a block from my house last night after BurgeRR. At least his consistent creeping gave it away, plenty of time to prepare.

It always seems to come back to this

"In her reasons for judgment, B.C. Provincial Court Judge Katherine ruled that while Zadeh’s single, momentary lapse of attention had a tragic outcome, it was not a criminal act."

It gets fuzzy. A person is shopping and picks up a small item, later slipping it into their pocket to enable them to use both hands to look at a larger item. They forget the small item and walk out of the store. Are they guilty of shop lifting?

As far as Zadeh's terrible driving record goes, if it was introduced would it indicate that the government had failed, by inadequate sentencing, to correct his bad habits.

It always seems to come back to this

"In her reasons for judgment, B.C. Provincial Court Judge Katherine ruled that while Zadeh’s single, momentary lapse of attention had a tragic outcome, it was not a criminal act."

It gets fuzzy. A person is shopping and picks up a small item, later slipping it into their pocket to enable them to use both hands to look at a larger item. They forget the small item and walk out of the store. Are they guilty of shop lifting?

As far as Zadeh's terrible driving record goes, if it was introduced would it indicate that the government had failed, by inadequate sentencing, to correct his bad habits.
I hate this crap.

Has a history of running red lights. That's inadmissible because it might prejudice the case. FFS

Has offenses going back to 2014 but is somehow a 'novice driver'

Blame it on the guv for what ? Not taking away his ticket and locking him up ? Whatever happened to taking personal responsibility for one's actions ???
According to some WOKE individuals crime is the fault of society. Somehow, society lured the criminals into their lifestyles. Release poor misunderstood Paul Bernardo and jail the rest of the population. Problem solved. Sarcasm font if it wasn't obvious.

Would an electronic doggy collar work if it could be hooked to the brain? If the wearer had an illegal thought the thing would give him a high voltage shot to the most sensitive spot. Very few people ever want a second electrical shock.

According to some WOKE individuals crime is the fault of society. Somehow, society lured the criminals into their lifestyles. Release poor misunderstood Paul Bernardo and jail the rest of the population. Problem solved. Sarcasm font if it wasn't obvious.

Would an electronic doggy collar work if it could be hooked to the brain? If the wearer had an illegal thought the thing would give him a high voltage shot to the most sensitive spot. Very few people ever want a second electrical shock.
This guy went rampaging in Barrie last night smashing things. The police took him into custody and he was "held accountable for his actions". Considering that one of the charges was fail to comply and that he was released the same day, I would argue that he was not held accountable for his actions. He obviously already has a record and has little concern for more charges. Police did their job but courts once again fail to protect the public from people that can't control themselves.

"Misbehaving male arrested
By: Peter Leon
Last night, just after 7:30 p.m., the Barrie Police Service was notified of male acting in a disorderly manner in a southwest Barrie business park. Initially, the male was reportedly throwing garbage in the parking lot near 37 Caplan Drive. He was then observed throwing a garbage can lid at a parked car and later punching the passenger side rear fender of the car leaving two obvious dents.
The male then made his way to Barrie View Drive where he attended to a closed business and proceeded to pick up bricks and rocks, which he threw at the doors and windows. The resulting broken glass afforded him the opportunity to continue in his mischievous ways as he discharged a fire extinguisher inside the store. This act caused Barrie Fire to respond as reports were received that the store may have been on fire.
At 7:44 p.m., responding Barrie Police officers, who were provided detailed information as to the suspect’s whereabouts, located him in the parking lot of a Bryne Drive business where he was taken into custody and later transported to Barrie Police Headquarters.
Facing charges of Break and Enter, Mischief Under $5000, Mischief Over $5000 and Fail to Comply with a Probation Order, is a 31-year-old man from Alliston. He was later released and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice located in Barrie on May 22, 2024.
Barrie Police wish to thank the concerned citizens who contacted our Service and provided details of what was taking place in southwest Barrie last night. Descriptions of the male’s behaviour, clothing and direction of travel all assisted with him being taken into custody and held accountable for his actions."

Facing charges of Break and Enter, Mischief Under $5000, Mischief Over $5000 and Fail to Comply with a Probation Order, is a 31-year-old man from Alliston. He was later released and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice located in Barrie on May 22, 2024.
Barrie Police wish to thank the concerned citizens who contacted our Service and provided details of what was taking place in southwest Barrie last night. Descriptions of the male’s behaviour, clothing and direction of travel all assisted with him being taken into custody and held accountable for his actions."
Isn't this default code for back to jail? What the hell...

Isn't this default code for back to jail? What the hell...
Agree. One of the comments someone made is right on. It's pretty obvious that this isn't police making up charges.

"Justin Cohen
Can we get this straight?
"Fail to Comply with a Probation Order, is a 31-year-old man from Alliston. He was later released"
What's the point of charging someone with fail to comply probation and then RELEASE HIM....
The entire intent of holding him is to say "We let you out on conditions, you didn't follow them, so now you get jail"
JAIL NOT BAIL."

Agree. One of the comments someone made is right on. It's pretty obvious that this isn't police making up charges.

"Justin Cohen
Can we get this straight?
"Fail to Comply with a Probation Order, is a 31-year-old man from Alliston. He was later released"
What's the point of charging someone with fail to comply probation and then RELEASE HIM....
The entire intent of holding him is to say "We let you out on conditions, you didn't follow them, so now you get jail"
JAIL NOT BAIL."
Now I realize he's only charged with the crime, it's likely up to a judge to determine if he breached or not. However, just the accusation should be enough to hold until a hearing, imo. Police are reading off a script here, should be 1+1.

This guy went rampaging in Barrie last night smashing things. The police took him into custody and he was "held accountable for his actions". Considering that one of the charges was fail to comply and that he was released the same day, I would argue that he was not held accountable for his actions. He obviously already has a record and has little concern for more charges. Police did their job but courts once again fail to protect the public from people that can't control themselves.

"Misbehaving male arrested
By: Peter Leon
Last night, just after 7:30 p.m., the Barrie Police Service was notified of male acting in a disorderly manner in a southwest Barrie business park. Initially, the male was reportedly throwing garbage in the parking lot near 37 Caplan Drive. He was then observed throwing a garbage can lid at a parked car and later punching the passenger side rear fender of the car leaving two obvious dents.
The male then made his way to Barrie View Drive where he attended to a closed business and proceeded to pick up bricks and rocks, which he threw at the doors and windows. The resulting broken glass afforded him the opportunity to continue in his mischievous ways as he discharged a fire extinguisher inside the store. This act caused Barrie Fire to respond as reports were received that the store may have been on fire.
At 7:44 p.m., responding Barrie Police officers, who were provided detailed information as to the suspect’s whereabouts, located him in the parking lot of a Bryne Drive business where he was taken into custody and later transported to Barrie Police Headquarters.
Let me guess. Damage and costs in the tens of thousands of dollars. Net worth of alleged perpetrator seven dollars and ten cents.

Solution??

Let me guess. Damage and costs in the tens of thousands of dollars. Net worth of alleged perpetrator seven dollars and ten cents.

Solution??

Pick up trash along the side of the road.

In winter.

Back
Top Bottom