Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly..... | Page 325 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.....

Who was in the wrong?

• Cop

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Dude who got shot

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 55 50.5%

• Total voters
Maybe coming out and saying it's everyone elses responsibility is not the best look.
Did you expect anything else from her? That is right on brand and exactly who toronto elected. NDP complains about everybody and very rarely offers a single reasonable improvement.

Did you expect anything else from her? That is right on brand and exactly who toronto elected. NDP complains about everybody and very rarely offers a single reasonable improvement.
Then what's the answer ? If you have one tell her (and us) what it is ?

Then what's the answer ? If you have one tell her (and us) what it is ?
lol even a bad answer would have been better then what she said. tantamount to throwing your hands in the air and giving up.

we pay her and them to keep the peace and enforce the law. do it.

I'm trying to imagine a situation in a private corporation where your boss has reminded you again what your work responsibilities are and you just throw your hands up. Your time at the company is probably on life support.

it's not necessarily her responsibility to tell the chief of police how to do his job, i would expect her to be in his face about it though.

Its all good and well that police have caught 100 odd criminals and laid 700 odd charges but how about making the charges have some teeth and actually deter criminals from committing the crime... mandatory jail time would be a good start so the soft judges don't have a chance to just let people off with a slap on the wrist. Zero juvenile protections for violent crimes. Some sort of Rico law to put the leadership away for a long time.
Cherry Beach Express?

As a start, give police some measurable targets to hit. If they don't hit the targets, they get 0% increase until they do.
I dunno if that's the answer, 0% increase means potential layoffs as the wage increases are already approved.

management should get the idea that if things don't improve there will be a shakeup, imo.

i recall once an assistant GM had 28 years in said company i worked for. started on the toolroom floor as a toolmaker and worked his way up to AGM. he was walked out the door one day like he didn't matter, all because he didn't hit performance targets for x number of quarters. he got paid a lot of money to go away, but gone, just like that.

I gave the answer in post 6471
as a sidebar,

I recall one day walking with the GM through the parking lot and he looked around and said "my, my, quite a lot of nice cars here eh? new Benz, BMW, Teslas. Makes me feel good. Do you know why it makes me feel good?" No. "Because everyone will now work their ass off to pay for it, ha ha!"

Unfortunately, cars stolen by the organized gangs are gone from the GTA and loaded into containers, in the Port of Montreal, in 5-6 hours it seems. Straight from here and right onto a ship, frequently even before they're reported stolen. It's a tough thing to fight.

Unfortunately, cars stolen by the organized gangs are gone from the GTA and loaded into containers, in the Port of Montreal, in 5-6 hours it seems. Straight from here and right onto a ship, frequently even before they're reported stolen. It's a tough thing to fight.
I support more cameras. It wouldn't take too many to narrow down where stolen cars are headed for loading. You may not catch a car stolen a few minutes before but looking to see where the SLS went last night should allow them to focus on a drop location tonight. I assume they are going into a warehouse/garage prior to loading into a truck/container. If they are driving them to montreal, that's a little harder to deal with but again, knowing how they disappear helps you create a strategy to block that path.

As for containers, that's a fed problem that obviously needs some attention. Obviously through either corruption or lack of manpower, we search so few containers that bad guys aren't worried about getting caught.

I support more cameras. It wouldn't take too many to narrow down where stolen cars are headed for loading. You may not catch a car stolen a few minutes before but looking to see where the SLS went last night should allow them to focus on a drop location tonight. I assume they are going into a warehouse/garage prior to loading into a truck/container. If they are driving them to montreal, that's a little harder to deal with but again, knowing how they disappear helps you create a strategy to block that path.

As for containers, that's a fed problem that obviously needs some attention. Obviously through either corruption or lack of manpower, we search so few containers that bad guys aren't worried about getting caught.
How and why are vehicles entering the port and getting into containers? Mayhaps some legislation needs to change here.

How and why are vehicles entering the port and getting into containers? Mayhaps some legislation needs to change here.
I assume they are entering the port as containers not on their wheels. Probably almost trivial to identify some of these dodgy shipments as we sure as hell aren't exporting a lot to dubai other than stolen cars. Are we missing them all due to corruption or lack of staff/technology to flag and search sufficient containers?

I assume they are entering the port as containers not on their wheels. Probably almost trivial to identify some of these dodgy shipments as we sure as hell aren't exporting a lot to dubai other than stolen cars. Are we missing them all due to corruption or lack of staff/technology to flag and search sufficient containers?
As with drug imports/exports, simple transshipment messes with tracking this sort of thing by destination.

Criminals are pretty sophisticated, you can place containers on ships heading to non-suspect ports, then use a COD (change of delivery) to have that container redirected to the bad-guy port after it loaded on Montreal.

The only way they are going to find cars is to scan containers at the rail and road feeds to the ports. The port of Montreal handles on average 1 departing 40' container each minute, it wouldn't take a lot of scan lanes to peek at every incoming container.

If I were a legislator, I'd do 3 things:

1) Make car companies improve anti-theft security for cars. If a $100 cell phone can require facial recognition or a finger scan -- why not a $50K car?
2) Make theft of a car a serious crime. In Canada, the punishment for stealing cars is often the same as if you stole a bicycle. In the US, car theft is called 'grand theft Auto' and has some serious requirements for restitution and jail.
3) Immediate deportation for convicted car thieves whether it's through a summary conviction or indictment.

Criminals are pretty sophisticated, you can place containers on ships heading to non-suspect ports, then use a COD (change of delivery) to have that container redirected to the bad-guy port after it loaded on Montreal.

The only way they are going to find cars is to scan containers at the rail and road feeds to the ports. The port of Montreal handles on average 1 departing 40' container each minute, it wouldn't take a lot of scan lanes to peek at every incoming container.

If I were a legislator, I'd do 3 things:

1) Make car companies improve anti-theft security for cars. If a $100 cell phone can require facial recognition or a finger scan -- why not a $50K car?
2) Make theft of a car a serious crime. In Canada, the punishment for stealing cars is often the same as if you stole a bicycle. In the US, car theft is called 'grand theft Auto' and has some serious requirements for restitution and jail.
3) Immediate deportation for convicted car thieves whether it's through a summary conviction or indictment.
Easiest method to reduce car theft: Bring back physical keys.

On that point, the current system is crazy. The easier Toyotas are to steal, the more they sell and the more profit they make. Crazy. Another option is to force automakers to include five years of theft insurance with every new vehicle. That provides them incentive to do a better job of design. By the time the five years is up, the car is much less desirable and owners can buy conventional theft insurance at that point (and it's much more affordable as the manufacturer provided coverage when it was far more likely to be stolen).

I really like that idea. If the car company does a good job of securing the car, the theft insurance would cost them peanuts.

If they RAM or Tundra up their efforts -- let Stella and Toyota add $10K for insurance to their selling costs.

The current wave started a a few or more years ago first targeting vehicles that were easy to exploit and take. It got serious momentum (due to no or lazy enforcement) and organized crime wants more and more... then we see escalation not just in volume but now violent crimes (car jackings/home invasions) to get the cars that the exploits don't work on. They want (or have an order for...) XYZ make and model, they do not care it is not on the easy to take list, need keys/fobs, well they will get the them.

While the automakers NEED to get their act together expect more violence in the short term as the shopping lists don't just stop coming in because they improved the system (still needs to be done). Vehicles are driven by multiple people including mechanics etc. Then there is also rental fleets. So unlike a phone they need to be able to have multiple users and one offs. Then the people who buy them want to open it with their foot, don't want even a key, want to be able to start it with a text. So forget MFA, finger print scanning, facial recognition, if they won't even use a ******* physical key.... There are solutions but most have some sort of consumer expectation downside, until buyers are on board (and get it) with increased security I don't see much happening.

The lack of enforcement early on has lead to a big part of this problem today, still seems pretty slack to me. This could have been somewhere else's problem, instead enforcement made it ours...

Organized crime is leveraging young offenders for this and that is likely the first place to start with changes to that act.

Easiest method to reduce car theft: Bring back physical keys.
That would work if we as a society were not the laziest we have ever been. Why walk over to a light switch when you can do it on the phone without having to leave the la-z-boy. Why do any manual labour when you just flick the switch of the latest battery powered doodah.

While the automakers NEED to get their act together expect more violence in the short term as the shopping lists don't just stop coming in because they improved the system (still needs to be done). Vehicles are driven by multiple people including mechanics etc. Then there is also rental fleets. So unlike a phone they need to be able to have multiple users and one offs. Then the people who buy them want to open it with their foot, don't want even a key, want to be able to start it with a text. So forget MFA, finger print scanning, facial recognition, if they won't even use a ******* physical key.... There are solutions but most have some sort of consumer expectation downside, until buyers are on board (and get it) with increased security I don't see much happening.
Follow the lead of Tesla. Allow owners to provide access through a mobile app.

Back
Top Bottom