Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly..... | Page 324 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.....

Who was in the wrong?

• Cop

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Dude who got shot

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 55 50.5%

• Total voters
It may be a tiny improvement but it only takes a few seconds to clip a steering wheel and release those locks (link doesn't work for me but a quick search shows something like the club).

If you want to use a physical lock, a brake pedal lock is a far bigger hassle for a thief (and if you chase them, there is a really really good chance they will crash hard). It's not very visible from outside the car so they have probably broken in already though. It's also a pain in the ass to install every time. The pic I posted was easy to find but has some obvious design flaws that limit effectiveness. Pic shows concept though.

bb74f956-8dbf-48b6-9f4e-89e5ab9440ad.27ae081db76319d362632253a75c1c95.jpeg

It may be a tiny improvement but it only takes a few seconds to clip a steering wheel and release those locks (link doesn't work for me but a quick search shows something like the club).

If you want to use a physical lock, a brake pedal lock is a far bigger hassle for a thief (and if you chase them, there is a really really good chance they will crash hard). It's not very visible from outside the car so they have probably broken in already though. It's also a pain in the ass to install every time. The pic I posted was easy to find but has some obvious design flaws that limit effectiveness. Pic shows concept though.

Would be easier to put a pin with a clip in the brake pedal linkage then when you had the pin no brakes.

Sent from the future

Would be easier to put a pin with a clip in the brake pedal linkage then when you had the pin no brakes.

Sent from the future
Maybe. Given the strength of most brake pedal assemblies, I wouldn't want to be explaining to the insurance company after a crash why my brakes had a quick release pin in them.

I don't know how sophisticated these electronic attacks are. If I disconnect the brake switch electrically, that would prevent a modern car from starting. I don't know if the exploits they are using bypass that check. Sure, they could eventually figure it out and wire around your gap but that would take brains and lot of time. I suspect they would just leave if car didn't start easily.

A hidden kill switch will do the job. They are not going to spend time troubleshooting... Most cars it can be wired in series with the switch on the brake (or clutch if you have one) pedal (car won't start unless foot is on the pedal). Of course if it is a simple switch you have to remember to switch it when you park otherwise it does nothing.

As for the keys at the door, even better is a fake set of keys (keys not codded to your car). Gets them out of the house fast but still prevents them from getting the car, again not going to troubleshoot... But even better is not having a vehicle they want and/or a house secured enough they cannot break in.

A hidden kill switch will do the job. They are not going to spend time troubleshooting... Most cars it can be wired in series with the switch on the brake (or clutch if you have one) pedal (car won't start unless foot is on the pedal). Of course if it is a simple switch you have to remember to switch it when you park otherwise it does nothing.

As for the keys at the door, even better is a fake set of keys (keys not codded to your car). Gets them out of the house fast but still prevents them from getting the car, again not going to troubleshoot... But even better is not having a vehicle they want and/or a house secured enough they cannot break in.
As for remembering to hit the switch, make it a momentary switch and latching relay. Turn the car off and it won't restart until you hit the button. Really fast and easy for you, a bugger for a random to figure out.

Fake keys aren't a bad idea. Some of the brands that get stolen all the time should just include some with the purchase. "Here are you two real keys, your valet key and your anti-theft key".

Windows on most houses screw you. It's really hard to make an entire house secure enough to keep an invader out but doesn't look like a prison and easy for you to use. There is probably a reasonable middle ground where you do something like a secure door on the stairs. Thieves can break into ground floor but getting to your family on the second floor would be very difficult and slow. They could randomly shoot through the floor but your odds are good and even that could be mitigated unobtrusively if you thought it mattered.

My favorite home protection so far is the driveway bollards that raise to trap your vehicles in. Really high initial cost and ideal install location is on city property though.

Toronto. Stop buying nice cars. You're welcome.

So, according to Chow, it's everyone else's problem to deal with but hers. Seems about right.
She's right - what can she do about it - tell me ?
TPS, OPP, RCMP are asleep at the switch.
Canada Customs doesn't care - it's a world wide problem, not just in the 416/905.

I really like the idea of letting them get away with vehicle only to have their own issue down the road and doing 100km's (No Brakes)

Canada Customs doesn't care - it's a world wide problem, not just in the 416/905.
While she does not have direct oversight of tps, she is on the board and has full control if the budget. Instead of a press conference expressing gratification for the job they do and giving them millions more, use the conference to say they will be investigating value for money and whether tps service provided makes sense given the cost.

Its all good and well that police have caught 100 odd criminals and laid 700 odd charges but how about making the charges have some teeth and actually deter criminals from committing the crime... mandatory jail time would be a good start so the soft judges don't have a chance to just let people off with a slap on the wrist. Zero juvenile protections for violent crimes. Some sort of Rico law to put the leadership away for a long time.

While she does not have direct oversight of tps, she is on the board and has full control if the budget. Instead of a press conference expressing gratification for the job they do and giving them millions more, use the conference to say they will be investigating value for money and whether tps service provided makes sense given the cost.
One word negates most of that - UNION.

Its all good and well that police have caught 100 odd criminals and laid 700 odd charges but how about making the charges have some teeth and actually deter criminals from committing the crime... mandatory jail time would be a good start so the soft judges don't have a chance to just let people off with a slap on the wrist. Zero juvenile protections for violent crimes. Some sort of Rico law to put the leadership away for a long time.
Gotta catch the top level first - there's a lot of insulation in the way.
Motor vehicle theft is mostly viewed as 'victimless' - normally nobody gets shot or injured (generalizing I know).
Insurance companies pay out, your premiums go up and life goes on - rightly or wrongly.

I really like the idea of letting them get away with vehicle only to have their own issue down the road and doing 100km's (No Brakes)

There may be repercussions if someone gets injured, especially an injured party. I remember years ago a guy in Niagara Falls booby trapped his apple trees in his yard to keep people from stealing the apples. Someone got injured, he was charged criminally and sued civilly.

I'm not the mayor.
Maybe another bike lane will help?

Maybe coming out and saying it's everyone elses responsibility is not the best look.

Back
Top Bottom