Lane filtering might become legal.... | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane filtering might become legal....

Wow, if that's our intersection filtering poster child we are all sunk.

Ok, so how does this filter thing work, I've squeezed between 2 lines of cars being cautious not to clip their mirrors or scratch their paint and I made my way up to the intersection, so now I'm sitting cozy between 2 cars that are totally aggravated with my presence and the light turns green !
:headbang: the race is on for the next light! Oh wait :| it's highly illegal to race, I better just ride regular speed and hope those guys I just passed don't cream me with their mirrors or crush my legs.

Oh oh, the next light turned green before I snaked to the front of the line :/ you know that game where the music stops and you have to find a chair real fast, but there are fewer chairs then there are people, now I'm the guy left standing.

... How is this really safer for anyone?

Short answer: it won't be until other people on the road get used to it.

You mean cagers get used to freely giving the right of way to motorcycles? ... I take it some here have never been road raged on by a cager just because you were making better time then they were.

And; I'm sitting at a red light, is it ok for a car to pull up tight next to me and 'filter'

Will never happen here with selfish drivers and entitlement. All of which is getting worse not better. Filtering, I see will, just amplify the issues.

Sent from the moon!

You mean cagers get used to freely giving the right of way to motorcycles? ... I take it some here have never been road raged on by a cager just because you were making better time then they were.

And; I'm sitting at a red light, is it ok for a car to pull up tight next to me and 'filter'

Closest to date; had some guy threaten to get out of his Mercedes and beat me because i didn't give way to him when his lane was ending. I stuck my camera (chin mounted) in his face and asked him to repeat what he said, he rolled the window up and shrunk down in the seat.

Will never happen here with selfish drivers and entitlement. All of which is getting worse not better. Filtering, I see will, just amplify the issues.

Sent from the moon!

Have to say;

Recent road trips to Thailand, Iceland, Ohio and Alberta. Ontario drivers are by far the worst i've experienced.

incredible pessimism in this thread. Hard to believe that other places in the world that had this legalized in paper didn't go through the same growing pains. People (motorcyclists and car drivers) have the ability to adjust and change, this world isn't static. If you're weary, don't attempt it. I'm just happy someone is looking at it.

I think it is a great idea. Of course. However, cagers need to be educated. That is never going to happen. I see road rage getting worse. Most of the time they want to race a motorbike. Why? Guess we all know the answer to that.

incredible pessimism in this thread. Hard to believe that other places in the world that had this legalized in paper didn't go through the same growing pains. People (motorcyclists and car drivers) have the ability to adjust and change, this world isn't static. If you're weary, don't attempt it. I'm just happy someone is looking at it.

Survival is the key word here.If you live in Toronto survival is even more of a demanding idea.Filtering is a great idea,but it will take decades for drivers to change their ways and give those on two wheels the room they should get.I don't want to be part of that learning curve thanks.That's not pessimissm,it's reality.

agreed. its not like you HAVE to filter. personally i would be using the pilot streets every single day since my commute goes through there! it also helps that one of the councillors pushing the decision is a rider himself. and this is the first time in a while that i've seen motorcycle-related news in mainstream media that isnt about a crash.

Have to say;

Recent road trips to Thailand, Iceland, Ohio and Alberta. Ontario drivers are by far the worst i've experienced.

ok to be fair, iceland, ohio and alberta dont have close to the amount of vehicles as ontario. i've been to iceland a few times and theres literally no cars on the road once you leave reykjavik. and thailand is mostly scooters and bikes anyway (and generally regarded as one of the most dangerous places to ride. hell, getting a license is literally just showing you can ride in a circle once)

ok to be fair, iceland, ohio and alberta dont have close to the amount of vehicles as ontario. i've been to iceland a few times and theres literally no cars on the road once you leave reykjavik. and thailand is mostly scooters and bikes anyway (and generally regarded as one of the most dangerous places to ride. hell, getting a license is literally just showing you can ride in a circle once)

So we create roads for a purpose, we create laws/rules for the road to not only keep people safe but flow traffic in an efficient manner.

• Based on your comment, you`re saying here in Ontario because we have so many people we ignore said rules and instead make traffic..worse and less safe?
  • Ohio has 11 million people, Ontario has 13 million. Ohio is also far smaller, so i would argue the opposite.
  • So how would you describe the traffic in the cities in Iceland? Or are you referring to the first point?
  • Bikes and scooters are still motor vehicles are they not? Road rules are still followed are they not? What is your point?

I'll make an easy observation for you, in all the above places i never saw people just sit in the left lane. Going the speed limit, under/over doesn't matter, people used the passing lane for what it is. To me this is one of the most basic concepts of road usage and Ontario has completely failed at it. You don't need a population of 50,000 people to make it work.

Ohio has 11 million people, Ontario has 13 million. Ohio is also far smaller, so i would argue the opposite.

That is a ridiculous comment. Averaging Ontario's population across the entire land mass is ludicrous as that is not remotely how they are distributed. The GTA holds 48% of Ontario's population in 0.7% of the land mass. Therefore population density in the GTA is ~73x the provincial average if you considered the entire area and population of Ontario.

Barcelona is a great example of how the city and commuters co-operate. They designed good infrastructure over there. There is tons of traffic, cars, scooters, bus's taxes, trucks you name it. But the streets are made to accommodate them. Some of the avenues are 3 - 4 lanes each way, with separate bus and taxi lanes, and a separate bike lane. Bikes/scooters can filter towards the front of the intersection at a red, and guess what drivers don't act like complete jerks.

I have noticed places like Thailand and other 3rd world cities have generally more congested traffic, which moves slower. Maybe this forces them to cooperate. Also there are larger concentrations of bikes and scooters, so their presence are felt/seen by other motorists constantly. Here we are far fewer and disappear for part of the year.

New rules are not going to fix driver/rider frustration with dealing with lack of infrastructure and jamming all types of vehicles in literally no space. But I guess it could be a start, I won't do it. I don't event cut into a bike lane to pass a car stopped at a intersection, so I can pass them and make a right turn. You see lots of drivers do this all the time.

I don't event cut into a bike lane to pass a car stopped at a intersection, so I can pass them and make a right turn. You see lots of drivers do this all the time.

Video came out from TPS recently that right turning vehicles are supposed to pull into the green bike lines and bikes are supposed to pass them on the left (where there are streetcar tracks). What idiot thought that green lanes accurately conveyed a location where bikes and vehicles were supposed to occupy the same space? Make it yellow and include a car symbol turning right. The current markings have most cyclists and vehicles thinking it is for bikes only.

https://www.680news.com/video/2018/07/11/using-torontos-green-bike-lanes/

Video came out from TPS recently that right turning vehicles are supposed to pull into the green bike lines and bikes are supposed to pass them on the left (where there are streetcar tracks). What idiot thought that green lanes accurately conveyed a location where bikes and vehicles were supposed to occupy the same space? Make it yellow and include a car symbol turning right. The current markings have most cyclists and vehicles thinking it is for bikes only.

Huh interesting. I would have thought it was only for bikes, plus I am pretty sure some of those lanes are smaller, why would I jam my car into that space.

So we create roads for a purpose, we create laws/rules for the road to not only keep people safe but flow traffic in an efficient manner.

• Based on your comment, you`re saying here in Ontario because we have so many people we ignore said rules and instead make traffic..worse and less safe?
  • Ohio has 11 million people, Ontario has 13 million. Ohio is also far smaller, so i would argue the opposite.
  • So how would you describe the traffic in the cities in Iceland? Or are you referring to the first point?
  • Bikes and scooters are still motor vehicles are they not? Road rules are still followed are they not? What is your point?

I'll make an easy observation for you, in all the above places i never saw people just sit in the left lane. Going the speed limit, under/over doesn't matter, people used the passing lane for what it is. To me this is one of the most basic concepts of road usage and Ontario has completely failed at it. You don't need a population of 50,000 people to make it work.

i'm saying numbers do add to the problem, along with driving culture (which is pretty bad here).

in iceland, you'd be VERY hard pressed to hit another vehicle simply because there arent that many on the road. i dunno what 'cities' you visited but outside of rekyjvaik, pretty much every other town is super small.

i cant personally speak for thailand as i haven't been. but one of my riding buddies lived there for years. to describe thailand traffic as 'following road rules' is ludicrous.

Last edited:
Huh interesting. I would have thought it was only for bikes, plus I am pretty sure some of those lanes are smaller, why would I jam my car into that space.

TPS has good points, when a bike passes a right turning vehicle on the right, there is a high chance for the turning vehicle to take them out (and this one is often fatal). Secondly, assuming the right turning vehicle sees the bike and waits, any left turning vehicle can't see the bike until it is in the intersection giving a second opportunity to kill the cyclist. Pushing the bikes to the left of the turning vehicles fixes both of these problems. As an added bonus, the car waiting to turn in the bike lane allows cars going straight through to keep flowing (carefully as there is less than a full lane for them)/

Didn't know that. if they wanted cars to do that, why paint a diamond and a bike on the green areas? ...just dumb.

Should have a right arrow with a car icon and a bike icon going left around the car. Should also inform drivers, like in the pamphlet that they send with the plate renewal notice.

I see green areas across on ramps, like on Hwy7 and 404. Always thought they were a warning for cyclists to be aware cars are going to cross their path there.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.8458...112&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
broken white line and no diamond or bicycle icon in the green.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom