KW Dragon Thread. | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

KW Dragon Thread.

Tie the 2 bikes together in the center and to your tie downs on the sides.
Has worked for me many times and seams to be the best way to properly secure them Gary.
All you really need it a sheet of plywood with a D-ring in the middle.
I've custom made mine to fit perfectly around the wheel wells but will also work with just a 4x8 sheet.
4ac609b6-eaaa-11a7.jpg

Thanks for a Great Weekend project:)

How thick was the plywood you used?
I will be down in US this weekend and i can get some good priced parts from Harbor Freight.

I have 2 rail ramps i use for my 4x4 trailer. Any idea if it will be usable for the truck bed? http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200244874_200244874

Straight ramps may cause a problem with fairing clearance.
I've got arched ones you can use.

Funny enough, I've got a similar plywood piece with wheel chock attached for the back of my Ranger. Won't fit an F150, and it's only for 1 bike...

I helped Jin and his buddy load up their rental pick up truck last year without chocks. Worked pretty well all in all. The chocks and D ring would really help though.
As for plywood thickness, I'd say minimum 3/4". The piece I have in my Ranger has some 2x4's bolted on for extra strength just in case.

1/2 is what I have but then again I have 2 metal straps about 3 feet long running along the bottom side of the plywood to keep it from pulling out the tie downs when cranked down.

Confirmed i got my vacation approval today. :)

Confirmed i got my vacation approval today. :)

Awesome stuff!!!
What day did you plan on leaving, the Saturday or early the Sunday morning?
Looks like you'll be travelling with the crew from Waterloo - we were planning leaving way early Sunday AM.
I have a spare bedroom you can crash in on Saturday night if you so wish - can get the bikes all loaded up then.

1/2 is what I have but then again I have 2 metal straps about 3 feet long running along the bottom side of the plywood to keep it from pulling out the tie downs when cranked down.

Got the chocks, ez-rail and waiting for my bed extender. :) Do the plywood extend over the gate, or should you be able to close the gate w/out the bikes?

My plywood piece extends to the middle of the wheel wells and that's all. Enough to keep it stable side to side, and the "T" shape keeps it from sliding backwards.

I leave my bed open - won't shut with the bike in (Buell is about 2 inches too long, suzuki a good 7 inches too long).

You guys want to take this to email or leave it here?

Djez - shoot me your email and phone info via PM please.

Just a reminder to everyone to double check your health insurance coverage. If you do not have any, you can get $5 million through CAA for about $25. Had a friend who had a helicopter ride 2 years ago (no fault of his own), which was a bit under $100k.

Got the chocks, ez-rail and waiting for my bed extender. :) Do the plywood extend over the gate, or should you be able to close the gate w/out the bikes?

Mine is as long as the bed, it stays in there all the time.

Just a reminder to everyone to double check your health insurance coverage. If you do not have any, you can get $5 million through CAA for about $25. Had a friend who had a helicopter ride 2 years ago (no fault of his own), which was a bit under $100k.

And to add to this - be sure to make an 'emergency contact list' (of a family member(s), or a friend back here) and give a copy to at least 2 others that are going south, just in case they need to be notified about 'anything'.

Good point on the contact info list.

The 4 of us going together are discussing a few things by email as well FYI (travel arrangements etc etc etc).
Looks like we'll be bringing a half decent set of tools down as well just in case...

Just talked to a guy who's friend binned it at the Dragon earlier this year on the first day.
Helicopter was $18K just for it to show up, not including transport and medical staff fees. So, extra insurance is pretty much mandatory.

Hey Djez.
Call me please. Phone number sent to PM and email.
Thanks!

and don't forget to check change your brake pads/tires, you'll eat them pretty good out there

Had a fun week with you guys.Thanks

Had a fun week with you guys.Thanks

Likewise - it was a great week.

Jin - you should have been @ Mac D's when Charlie ordered the donkey burg. He was looking at the menu & told me it wasn't listed. I said you have to ask for it because it's a 'special order' in the US. I was laughing so hard - I cried. The look on the chick's face behind the counter was priceless. One of the many highlights of the week.
And thanks to you and Jesse for swapping up bikes on Thursday - both were tons 'o fun.

p.s.........anyone with my 'warning' pic - post 'er up!!! Thanks.

Last edited:

Jin - you should have been @ Mac D's when Charlie ordered the donkey burg. He was looking at the menu & told me it wasn't listed. I said you have to ask for it because it's a 'special order' in the US. I was laughing so hard - I cried. The look on the chick's face behind the counter was priceless. One of the many highlights of the week.
And thanks to you and Jesse for swapping up bikes on Thursday - both were tons 'o fun.

399567_10151088488466628_40359157_n.jpg

Charlie actually ordered Donkey Burger??!!! LOL That must be hilarious!!! Its a shame that I missed that part!!

Gary, It was pleasure to ride your busa. I had tons of fun and It is a damn sweet bike. I still cant believe how nimble it was in those corners. It broke all my misconception and prejudice towards over-liter bikes.

Overall It was a great week!!!! Thanks everyone!!!!

Fantastic pictures!

Where's the road that goes underneath the little waterfall? And the lake with the fog over it? Beautiful!
I'm going down at the beginning of September, so any tips for roads and places to see would be appreciated!

The waterfall is Bridal Veil Falls. It was on the Moonshiner 28 IIRC. It's a bit of a ways, but purty...
The water/fog shot is on the 28 between Deal's Gap and the Fontana Village resort. Can't miss it.
Be sure to ride the road to Robbinsville. There's a very picturesque river with lots of rocks and small rapids along it for a goodly distance...

Moonshiner 28 has some construction going on right now - Dump trucks where whizzing along there at crazy speeds just barely missing guard rails (like 6 inches away).. beyond the guard rail - a 300 meter drop to a river... other side, sheer cliff face. Stunning.

Will put up some video later on in the week.. just transferring it all to my computer now.

Back
Top Bottom