Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 213 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

Say hello to 'nessy'.... Because she's a monster
102587e7513f7e9cbdadd64e9fe47b97.jpg
40b9211fbca9b55f2135163dc597cdcf.jpg
6a3adeea9487cdfff6126b0a58a21ad0.jpg
babea72805a022a85fe41649693fe002.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Let's just hope she's as reliable as the CBR. Stock motor. Numbers seems ambitious, but nice and smooth :)
baa9310b357b2213c7db059521787215.jpg

Wow, nice! So by 8000 RPM you'll be putting down 110hp, the max my bike has to offer... I've got my work cut out for me.

Horsepower doesn't matter in the corners though... and that Ninja is smoooooth

I'll be going to the CSBK lapping day on Thursday. If anyone else is going, let me know. It's really just going to be a test day.

Any good suspension tuners around in Kitchener / Waterloo? My bike is fine, but I'd rather get sag setup by a pro!

Talk to Scott Miller at fast company. He's top notch

It sounds like a twin, super weird to think it's an I4

Yeah, they all do since 09 I think. It sounds like its going to murder you just standing still. Tim had secret thoughts of infidelity last night after he saw it, but he'll never admit that to his KTM.

Tim had secret thoughts of infidelity last night after he saw it, but he'll never admit that to his KTM.

Admittedly, after hearing it fire up, thoughts of taking it for an extended romp did cross my mind.... OH THE SHAME!!! ;-)
But, in my defence, Yamaha did an excellent job of making it sound like a twin... just to add to the confusion.. sigh.

Confused about orientation. Got it.

Admittedly, after hearing it fire up, thoughts of taking it for an extended romp did cross my mind.... OH THE SHAME!!! ;-)
But, in my defence, Yamaha did an excellent job of making it sound like a twin... just to add to the confusion.. sigh.

FYI for anyone thinking about it, from Paul @ GBM:

PLEASE NOTE : This Thursdays Motorcycle lapping program is from 9am to 5pm. There is not a 5pm-9pm program as was mistakenly posted on the website calendar. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

So it was the GBM/CSBK track day today. I was surprised how busy the paddock was at 7am this morning with quite a few of the big rigs already setup. John Bickle was doing his best to try to organize the parking, but I'm not sure we can call it successful. None the less, tech was late, riders meeting was late (people dragging their feet, not GBM), first bike wasn't out until 9:45 or so which was a little annoying. 9:01 track should be open. The lady running the day was good, everyone was informed of what was happening, that was nice.

Either way, I don't think there were any crashes all day. A bike pickup or two, but nothing serious. CSBK guys ran in the red group with a pretty good pace going. I went in yellow since it was a new bike, but really should have went up to red. Given some of the more aggressive passing, and an unfamiliar set of wheels, better play it safe today. Thomas showed up which was cool, I didn't realize he was going.

Now on to our main story... the R1. Nessy. Just a misunderstood creature or a 100% pure bred monster?

A little bit of both, actually. It sounds twin/V4-ish, but feels like a V4 underneath. Low RPM, i.e. rolling in first gear in the pits it feels a bit rough... like Tim's tractor actually. The CBR excelled at mid-range, 7-8k had strong pull, but it flattened out fairly quick up top. The CBR motor was smooth, the R1 has a lot more character, but again... not tractor level. The R1 has less mid range than the CBR actually, low speed drives (<7k rpm) off sharp corners it takes a second to spin up and don't have a heavy hit, they are almost a bit soft. It really wants to live over 8k. Keep it higher in the rev range and you have all the goose you need.

But the corner drive..... The kink (last corner) used to be a shot of gas out of the carousel, turn in, straighten, then more gas. Now its one continual roll on while you go side to side. You think you are going to crash every time but it rockets out of corners with unbelievable hookup. Wheelies 1,2,3, and 4, but has lift control, which feels like you are cheating on your spouse. Seems fairly consistent on the back straight, but there was some noticeable differences in the amount of lift out of the 'S' bend onto the front straight. To be fair, its a rough piece of track with violent headshake on any bike. It could use another +2 on the rear sprocket I think, we are barely mid 5th gear by the end of the back straight. The brake feel of the galespeed M/C is really really good. Better than the brembo. There was the tiniest bit of brake fade as the laps click on, but nothing serious.

Front end was sublime, you could put that dunlop back on the shelf and sell it as a new tire. Rear was hot tearing the medium 451 to a concerning degree. I tried some tire pressure and rebound adjustment, but never solved it. The harder 449 (med+) showed perfect wear, but that tire was discontinued and pro6 only brouht soft/med tires.

The autoblipper is unbelievably cool. It really wants lower RPM before it'll let you engage, but with a solid gear cog feel, you can really feel when the gear notches in. Back end got sideways a few times into 1, feels like riding a dirt bike... almost.

There was a lot of poppping at low rpm decel, so we may have to get that looked at, but its a "rapid bike" fuel controller on there and I don't know if Scott can tune those. I was using costco premium instead of shell 91, we'll see if changing that makes a difference.

And the piece de resistance.... The turn in, it turns like 600... ok maybe a 700...., but quite a bit better than the CBR. I have to reconfigure my lines to take a more 600ish line, not the old point and shoot 1000 line.

She drinks fuel though, 14 mpg. In the end... you just don't care.

Back
Top Bottom