Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 190 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

Not sure if scott miller is still around or not, but Fast company is a good option if it is

Doesn't mean he isn't still around, maybe just not in the limelight

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Water drained, coolant added and the battery pulled. The R6 is officially put to bed until Spring.

I've heard from a few people about how bad ethanol is/can be for fuel tanks when left sitting all winter but to be honest, I really haven't had any issues. I just dump in half a bottle of Sea-Foam, run the engine for 5-10 minutes to make sure it gets through all the lines and into the carbs, then top off the tank as full as it can get. Plug in the battery and done.
The only thing I did different with the R6 was to drain water from the rad and fill with antifreeze.

What gas have you got in it i alway used ethanol free premium. I even use ethanol free in all my yard equipment.

Well I had a bad fuel pump in the ZX6R a few years ago. The pump and tank were full of rust. I always used ethanol free gas and stored it full so it must have started rusting from one of the previous owners. I have only put ethanol free gas into my gas cans for many years. I even purge the hose at the pump by putting some into my truck before filling the gas cans.

Also I got to try Cayuga with the car this past weekend! Unfortunately, I completely baked my brakes (glowing rotors, smoking pads) by going for too many laps at a time so the day was cut short. Wish I could've had more time to try to learn the track a bit better but still managed a (relatively) decent 1:30. What kind of lap times have you guys gotten on bikes?

[video=youtube;nrxl8Gr-_qE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrxl8Gr-_qE[/video]

87!?!? 0_o

I've only used Shell/Ultramar 91. Doesn't the R6 call for minimum 91 octane anyway?

Maybe the newer ones, but this is a '99. Straight from the manual is says to use 86 or higher, so I use 87. It doesn't knock or ping, so why waste money and have less power by using higher octane?

Well I had a bad fuel pump in the ZX6R a few years ago. The pump and tank were full of rust. I always used ethanol free gas and stored it full so it must have started rusting from one of the previous owners. I have only put ethanol free gas into my gas cans for many years. I even purge the hose at the pump by putting some into my truck before filling the gas cans.

I checked the tank on this when it was near empty and was surprised by the condition. It only has a very small amount of rust, nothing really to speak of.
That being said, if there was a station around here that sold an ethanol free 87, I'd be all over it!

Also I got to try Cayuga with the car this past weekend! Unfortunately, I completely baked my brakes (glowing rotors, smoking pads) by going for too many laps at a time so the day was cut short. Wish I could've had more time to try to learn the track a bit better but still managed a (relatively) decent 1:30. What kind of lap times have you guys gotten on bikes?

Your pace is high end green group on bikes. 1:29ish is low end yellow. I've done 1:22 on the Daytona 675 Expect a 1:20 on RC8. Randy does 1:17 on CBR1000.
Pro bike racers 1:14-15. Overall track record 1:09 in a car.

Last edited:

Sub 1:20 on my bike.

So now you need new brakes? That sucks.

...and why do you change the colour of the text in your posts? I've seen some of your posts that are almost impossible to read in Tapatalk on the dark theme.

Maybe the newer ones, but this is a '99. Straight from the manual is says to use 86 or higher, so I use 87. It doesn't knock or ping, so why waste money and have less power by using higher octane?

I checked the tank on this when it was near empty and was surprised by the condition. It only has a very small amount of rust, nothing really to speak of.
That being said, if there was a station around here that sold an ethanol free 87, I'd be all over it!
Its you bike now but i would dump the 87 into a car and fill it with new 91 from somewhere that doesnt have ethanol. It is getting sustained high rpm running and the few dollars a year wont be noticable. I have never had an issue with a carbed bike starting after storage without ethanol. But if i use 87 i can never get them started again without some major work.

Sub 1:20 on my bike.

So now you need new brakes? That sucks.

...and why do you change the colour of the text in your posts? I've seen some of your posts that are almost impossible to read in Tapatalk on the dark theme.

I'm super impressed by the stock Speed3 rotors. They're still mirror smooth and not warped; no vibration at all under braking. I just took apart the brakes this afternoon to take a look at the pads and give everything a thorough clean/lube. The brake pad life surprisingly didn't take a big hit, they're still well over half. The sliding pins were pretty gunked up as well which made the pedal stick a bit. Now everything is back together and is running beautifully :cool:

As for the text color of my post, I'm not sure what you mean? What color do you see? I haven't changed anything as far as color goes and I'm just replying thru the website on my PC.

Back
Top Bottom