Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 169 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

All of your speedometer talk has confirmed one thing ... I am a wimp on the straight! As Dave said on Tuesday 'well just go faster!'. I think fastest I saw from GPS was 175kph LOL I suck getting on the straight then I wimp out and get off the gas way too early for carousel (earlier than I even thought but the video doesn't lie). Getting on the straight I am in too high a gear and wait for RPM to build before shifting.

Well, guess I have not changed in 16 years as Francis Martin in 2000 told me the same thing at FAST. <insert french Canadian accent> 'Do you know we pay for the gas? You can use more of it on the straight! It is that twist thing on the right'

Jeff

It's all about seat time. Speed sense is probably the toughest thing to learn. I know I slow down way more than I need to for the carousel too, but that's okay because we have to go to work on Monday. ;) Don't worry about straight line speed. As you gain more confidence with lean angles the speed will automatically come.

I suck getting on the straight...

Well, as Dave mentioned, it's all about seat time.
I thought I was doing OK with getting onto the straight until Randy and Dave consistently blitzed me.
Dave took the time to show me his lines, and it's resulted in a much higher terminal velocity on the straight for me - has to be a gain of 15 km/h if not more.

And +17 for Dave's speed sense comments. Took me a long time to exit green group simply 'cause I wasn't consistent whatsoever with it.

Care to share any of your video so the 2 fast guys from KW (D & R) might be able to give you better suggestions?

Ya, don't take my comments as wanting to rush the process, I'm good with the process as it's going. I just was reading the thread while eating lunch and reviewing my video at same time and was giggling to myself as I read the 200+'s. Don't worry, I'm not trying to jump green to red or just going to twist the wrist without seat time. Small steps, ... goal is to get closer to Michelle's times one millisecond at a time :)

As for video, was going to post it to youtube when I get a moment to edit out some of the junk. I kinda forgot to turn off my camera after a session quite often so gonna remove some of that. Also have at least 1 full lap following <starts with S and rode the R6> (crap forget his name) so thought I'll post them too if he wants to see.

Jeff

Ya, don't take my comments as wanting to rush the process, I'm good with the process as it's going.

Not how I meant it - more along the lines of don't worry what others think of your progression. Ride where you're comfortable and things will come along all on their own. Took me 1.5 seasons to get into yellow 'cause of mental blocks and not being able to process things...

I'm still amazed at the guy on the green Kawasaki factory race bike that was there -- he has been riding for 1 year now - street included. Guy has an aptitude for it!

I'm sure Sebi would love to see that video you have of him.

I'm still amazed at the guy on the green Kawasaki factory race bike that was there -- he has been riding for 1 year now - street included. Guy has an aptitude for it!

Yeah, that guy was annoying me. haha... Aiden is probably right, he hasn't crashed yet so hasn't learned about pain.

Not how I meant it - more along the lines of don't worry what others think of your progression. Ride where you're comfortable and things will come along all on their own. Took me 1.5 seasons to get into yellow 'cause of mental blocks and not being able to process things...

Ahh, that's even farther from my mind, I don't care what other people think of my progress .... I just care that you don't think I'm an a-hole (especially on the track) and your thoughts on things you see to help me progress :)

The process/progression I suspect is very much similar to my powerlifting experiences. My first meet (2009) I squatted 320lb, somewhere in 2011/2012 things really started to click and I squatted 805lb in training and 750lb in a meet by end of 2012, then I found out about my vertebrae fractures, 6 months off then started again ending with a 705lb squat in 2015. I progressed because I was having fun and had a good group of people to lift with.

Obviously seeing progression is good, but only if I'm still having fun. My own review/notes from my crash day remind me its about fun, not trying to prove you can pass the newer newbie.

Jeff

Obviously seeing progression is good, but only if I'm still having fun. My own review/notes from my crash day remind me its about fun, not trying to prove you can pass the newer newbie.
Jeff

Smart and humble. Shows great maturity for a newer track rider! Was good to see you out on Tuesday.
Now we gotta wait another what, 8 months to do it again?!?! Sigh...

Jeff, your riding looked fine from the side. Smooth is fast. Michelle is a good rabbit to follow, she was beaming with confidence out there and looked really good. Everyone has that point, a plateau you just can't climb over, but you try new things and once you find it the feeling is fantastic.

Of course, that's not without misteps. 2 crashes at the dog leg for me always puts hesitation in your mind. Then I watch where Dave gets on the gas and all I can think is "why don't I do that?" and then a flash of soybeans and tall grass comes to mind.

Smart and humble. Shows great maturity for a newer track rider! Was good to see you out on Tuesday.
Now we gotta wait another what, 8 months to do it again?!?! Sigh...

No, 3 days. :p Come up to Calabogie this weekend. LOL

Jeff, your riding looked fine from the side. Smooth is fast. Michelle is a good rabbit to follow, she was beaming with confidence out there and looked really good. Everyone has that point, a plateau you just can't climb over, but you try new things and once you find it the feeling is fantastic.

Of course, that's not without misteps. 2 crashes at the dog leg for me always puts hesitation in your mind. Then I watch where Dave gets on the gas and all I can think is "why don't I do that?" and then a flash of soybeans and tall grass comes to mind.

Yep... I crashed in turn 4 at Shannonville in 2004. To this day, every time I enter that corner I think about that crash. I'm not racer material.

The guy on the fancy ninja is the same guy that was there the last time I saw you guys there, he had his bike stripped down and I told him to turn it on reserve, same guy. He came over to chat, after we had a little rubbing in the carousel. Comes from a mx and snowmobile racing background. And he has not crashed yet.

The guy on the fancy ninja is the same guy that was there the last time I saw you guys there, he had his bike stripped down and I told him to turn it on reserve, same guy. He came over to chat, after we had a little rubbing in the carousel. Comes from a mx and snowmobile racing background. And he has not crashed yet.

Ah, MX background... so he's insane. That explains a lot. LOL

If you want to try modifying the stock throttle tube I can help you out. I did it on my SV. I used Plastiweld epoxy to build up the final bit of the cable channel and then filed it to a nice profile. So in the end it had the same rotation until the last bit where it quickly ramped to full throttle.[/QUOTE]

Plastiweld? Should I be worried ? Lol

Ah, MX background... so he's insane. That explains a lot. LOL
Also means he might have some idea of crashing and pain.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom