Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread! | Page 168 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kitchener/Waterloo area, c u next trackday riders thread!

It's funny how every person and bike is different. I'm often following people who have their knee down when I don't.

It would have been fun to be there with you guys. Maybe we should have come half way home from Calabogie to Shannonville.

It's funny how every person and bike is different. I'm often following people who have their knee down when I don't.
It would have been fun to be there with you guys. Maybe we should have come half way home from Calabogie to Shannonville.

Can't discount Randy's sasquatch proportions either...
Sounds like you still had a great day on Tuesday at Bogie after the Monday train wreck of a day. Maybe something to consider next year?

Glad we weren't heading west bound on Monday night -- was backed up for a good 20 km (10 minutes at 120 km/h) around Trenton.

Tuesday at 'bogie was great, yeah. I don't know if we would really do that. Staying at Calabogie or driving down to Shannonville... I think I'll stay at 'bogie.

Hopefully fixed the GPR steering damper last night. Replaced two o-rings, cleaned the barrel, changed out the oil. The old oil was really filthy and I'm not sure why. There isn't really any metal on metal contact inside the damper. I only had 5 weight oil (should be 20 weight) so it's a bit light but on the highest setting it's probably good enough.

were they off the shelf parts or did you need to get a rebuild pack? Surprised they are that dirty. Forks I can see, but a damper is reasonably protected and doesn't travel near the distance. Either way hope it works out... it was pretty stiff before

Yeah, I had some o-rings from a shop in Kitchener that I bought the last time it was leaking. I'll never buy a GPR damper again. I don't know if all rotary dampers have frequent leaky seal problems but I never had problems with linear dampers in the past.

The hyperpro works well, but it wasn't inexpensive, seemed to have enough range for all of the tracks

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hey Mr. Accountant...
This is the track day riders thread - is that what you're interested in? There's a regular k/w group ride thread as well. It's not anywhere near as active as it used to be, but several of us get out regularly for rides...

Hi Mr. BigEvilDoer,

oops, sorry....I'm def on the wrong thread.

Yeah, that regular group thread looks pretty dead.

Do you post when you're going out for a ride? I would love to join.

Hi Mr. BigEvilDoer,

oops, sorry....I'm def on the wrong thread.
Yeah, that regular group thread looks pretty dead.
Do you post when you're going out for a ride? I would love to join.

If I'm in the mood to lead a group and the likes I'll post it up... Next 2 weekends are pretty much out for me though. Maybe Thursday after work I'll head out for a ride.
Check the other thread, or, post up a ride there yourself!

Had a great day at the track today. Always fun hanging with the KW crew!!

Here's a video.. think it was first session after lunch... Dave and Smergy blow past me like I'm standing still a couple laps in.
Thanks for showing me some alternate lines Dave - it really helped with the top speed on the back straight.

[video=youtube_share;VQQPzTb1dQ0]http://youtu.be/VQQPzTb1dQ0[/video]

Here's a video.. think it was first session after lunch... Dave and Smergy blow past me like I'm standing still a couple laps in.
Thanks for showing me some alternate lines Dave - it really helped with the top speed on the back straight.

No problem.

Nice video. I really like the front a rear views.

At least I can learn which parts of the track I'm consistently blowing the apexes at...
Ordered new water pump seal kit for the KTM today. $57.95. Much cheaper than expected, considering it includes bushings etc.

Tim - either your speedometer is off or mine is. Yours said 170 on the back straight and mine was in the 220's...

Tim - either your speedometer is off or mine is. Yours said 170 on the back straight and mine was in the 220's...

I'm pretty sure it's in miles, and it's out by about 20% with gearing and the standard 8-9% factory higher reading. From when I processed the video I recall seeing 175ish. Translates to 281 km/h, - 20% is 227 km/h corrected speed.

At any rate, I think that video was before Dave towed me around a few laps to show me a better line. Getting a bit higher speed now, as I can feel the leathers flapping on the back of my arms (maybe it's just my old lady saggy bits flopping around though - never know).

Think I need a shorter turn throttle tube as well - for me to get on the gas hard onto the back straight I have to rotate the grip with my fingers a bit before closing my hand and twisting, otherwise I can't get it to wide open. Sigh...
Dave and Randy both mentioned that I should be on the gas earlier coming onto the straight, but I'm busy fiddling with turning the throttle a bit before properly twisting.

Last edited:
That makes sense, Tim. I was indicating mid-260's also with lots of error %. That video was the one where I tried to show you some lines. We stopped (when I ran out of gas) for a quick chat about it before you went back out.

If you want to try modifying the stock throttle tube I can help you out. I did it on my SV. I used Plastiweld epoxy to build up the final bit of the cable channel and then filed it to a nice profile. So in the end it had the same rotation until the last bit where it quickly ramped to full throttle.

Back
Top Bottom