Kia | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kia

You aren't arguing any point.

Function and looks are two different things. The Honda/Hyundai/whatever logic was that they look like sh*t no matter what, and there are better looking cars out there that serve the same function. The function being a 5 seat commuter. Your DRZ/Ducati argument is "well if it looks like a motorcycle and sounds like a motorcycle, then its a motorcycle." No thought into function.

I don't even understand why you are arguing. There is no way you don't see how dumb the things you are saying are.
No you're wrong

Good or bad Cadillac was the GM platform for introducing new innovations and that's how they built the historic Cadillac reputation.
In 1957 they put a mini bar complete with magnetic based shot glasses in the glove box :lmao: that one was probably a bad idea.

Lots of people find the current Civic's styling to be offensive. I wouldn't go that far, but I'm not a fan of it.

From the look of the thing Honda hired a kid that's still in high school who's first bullet point on his resume is "watch a lot of anime" to design it.

Then you don't know much about cars. Acura/Lexus might share some platforms with Hondas/Toyotas but they're different enough to actually warrant the higher prices. For example higher quality control standards are used, more expensive materials, etc.

Have seen this argument made many times.

Quality and fit/finish are pretty much the same and many of the underpinnings (drivetrain etc) are identical between the sub brands.

Yeah, more bells and whistles on the upscale models vs their "regular" brethren, but that can actually be a negative when it comes time to service or fix them.

And yeah, a LOT more money.

Meh.

Have seen this argument made many times.

Quality and fit/finish are pretty much the same and many of the underpinnings (drivetrain etc) are identical between the sub brands.

Yeah, more bells and whistles on the upscale models vs their "regular" brethren, but that can actually be a negative when it comes time to service or fix them.

And yeah, a LOT more money.

Meh.
You should take a ride in a Lexus IS/ Acura TL vs a Camry/ Civic. The ride is completely different. Sure the Acura El is a waste but the high end models are worth it.

Maybe a new Kia would set me apart from the the crowd, my nieghborhood is cubed out with BMW and Benz, and a couple Maserati. Except for the Senior Insurance accountant /actuary next door that makes more money than the Pope, he has a Santa Fe and a Kia sedan.

He says buy nice houses, crappy cars and when out of warranty ditch it. But really what do accountants know about depreciation....

re: the Civic vs Hyundai argument, both cars compete in the same "class".

looking at the picture referenced to earlier, its clear the Elantra was designed by a committee, the Honda designed by passionate engineers who examined ever detail. When I buy a car, Quality, build and design trumps all else. The Civic wins.

re: the styling. In cases like this, I always say "let the market decide". Clearly, Honda is selling Civics faster than they can build them (I'm sure its NOT because they are "cheap"). I believe its the best selling car in Canada and US? Clearly few people have a problem with the Civic styling.

The one thing I will give to the Koreans though, is their car commercials, the one where the Japanese executives break into a Hyundai dealership to examine the vehicles in detail, and wonder how they produce such great cars for cheap. LOLZ, how juvenile and demeaning to Hyundai customers.

Last edited:
You get the cake sir .... "Passionate engineers in Honda" designed Civic? .... Oh boy. Mind telling us what were they passionate about? I'll take a guess .... Savings?

My wife bought a used Honda Civic as her first ever car, it was in the dealer showroom and it had 175,000 miles on it when she bought it
(and yes that's miles not kilometres) I think it was about a 1972 model or thereabouts. Her dad and I rebuilt the motor at ~250,000 miles and she drove it for several years after that. I think it's still parked up in the field behind their old house unless somebody scrapped it or buried it, must take a ride up there some day and see if it's still there and what's left of it.

Take a first gen Kia Soul and drive a second gen afterwards. They are completely different vehicles.

It’s the same across the board for most of their offerings.

Fit and finish. Use of materials etc. are up market in quality.

Steering feel, braking, and use of HVAC and radio controls. All work well and feel of quality.

Power train isn’t as smooth as Japanese and could use a little more power.

I’m a convert and would recommend to anyone to at least check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kia stuff is better than it used to be, but once you deep a little deeper features and functions are just not the same implementation. Fit and finish? It's alright, by my book. I mean there is some questionable sheet metal work which makes me think it must have been outsourced to Tesla or someone new in car business ... where the front hood meets the front mask, gaps and lines not meeting each other up, cannot be a design feature, no way I keep telling myself .... inside cavity where you grab the hatch door has a plastic insert with Velcro, so it holds to the inner panel. So it has fallen out already few times. I guess will have to glue it in ... LOL ... the materials used in the cabin are nice and quite enough for me ... that's on 2018 Soul luxury model. The steering is just way to soft, fortunately they give you three settings, so I immediately cranked it up to the stiffest one. It's much better now, but still not what I am used to and what I prefer.

But, the car drives nice overall and is priced accordingly. Would I want to drive across Canada in it? Heck no ... For city and daily short hops it's more than what I need.

You get the cake sir .... "Passionate engineers in Honda" designed Civic? .... Oh boy. Mind telling us what were they passionate about? I'll take a guess .... Savings?

Posted this in the now locked 2014 Corvette thread.

Passionate engineers who design a supercar that the local or backyard mechanic can fix themselves and have access to Honda's portal for more information when needed. sometimes using parts that are common to regular Honda's.

I'd like to see this on your next Ferrari.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a14406365/acura-nsx-maintenance/

Great read if you are into technical stuff.

. Clearly, Honda is selling Civics faster than they can build them (I'm sure its NOT because they are "cheap").

Why would you even say that? It's not even remotely true.

There is 700 brand new Civics on Autotrader alone just in Ontario, sitting on the lot.

Last edited:

There is 700 brand new Civics on Autotrader alone just in Ontario, sitting on the lot.

Because he doesn't know the difference between opinion and fact.

Posted this in the now locked 2014 Corvette thread.

Passionate engineers who design a supercar that the local or backyard mechanic can fix themselves and have access to Honda's portal for more information when needed. sometimes using parts that are common to regular Honda's.

I'd like to see this on your next Ferrari.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a14406365/acura-nsx-maintenance/

Great read if you are into technical stuff.

Lets stick to the "passionately" designed Civic, not NSX, a car apparently they cannot sell without huge MSRP discounts ... or is the grapevine wrong on that too?

Honda Canada sold 69,000 new Civic's in 2017.

So that Acura uses metric bolts and washers like the Civic. Brilliant engineering... slow clap.

Back
Top Bottom