Is riding really going to kill me? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is riding really going to kill me?

Three most important things you can do to help yourself;

1) always wear a helmet
2) never drink and ride
3) get a class M license

Take a look at any of the large scale motorcycle accident reports (eg. Hurt); most deaths/injuries occur as a result of ignoring a combo of those rules.

Don't know how getting an M class license will save your life...

Don't be discouraged. Just be safe, practice emergency situations like braking, swerving. wear you "GEAR"

Is it Dangerous? Yes
Can it Kill you? Yes
Are you willing to take the risk? Only you can answer this

Riding takes a lot of concentration and practice, it's definitely not like driving a car...

As for people discouraging you... everyone is entitled to their own opinion...
however ask anyone that rides, how riding makes them feel?

The Decision is yours

I am a new old rider. Have had my M license since I was 19 and for my 60th bd went out and bought a bike. I have the same issues that the op has however every time I have been out on the bike in the past 10 dys I have come home with a smile on my face. I ride a road bicycle around the city and we all know how dangerous thosenar :) I have figured out that I need tons of practice, the course I am registerdmforma Centential for old guys and mor practice.

Been through 2 helmets in the past 10days and finally committed to buying a full face in the next days or 2. Ordered boats from Docs leather on the weekend have my leathe and ready for the parking lots. Keep safe, keep your eyes up and take your time.
BTW it was a toss up between a new road bike or a Vulan 500 - the Vulcan won oh it was cheaper than the road bike lol

Cheer

I have a friend that used to go on about the dangers of riding.
Believe it or not he was in an accident where a motorcycle T-boned him at an intersection.
He was in hospital for quite a while.
Mind you, the idiot on the bike died.
But I did see the irony.
Everybody is going to die.
If you look at the stats. Most people die on Bikes from their own hand.
Intersection collisions are next biggest.
Slow down and be aware of dangers at the intersection.
Ride safe and you will stay on the planet long enough to die of cancer...

I haven't been riding long (new this year), but this question does run through my mind pretty much every time set out. To me, it's a good thing, as it keeps me more alert to what could happen, vs thinking 'it will never happen to me', and then missing something that happens on the road.

missunfinz also makes a good point (post above), in that a lot of accidents that are reported are due (in some way) to the rider themself, and there might have been something they could have done to either prevent the accident or reduce the risk/aftermath:

- Wearing proper/full gear vs nothing at all/minimal gear.
- Riding with the limits vs beyond their skill set or weather conditions.
- Refraining from drinking and riding.
- Refraining from speeding, lanesplitting, aggressive riding.
- Giving a car the right of way even when they are in the wrong.
- Treating all cars/vehicles as unpredictable, and expecting other motorists to play by the rules of the road/know how to actually drive a vehicle.
- Riding with proper training vs without any or even a license (I think HURT included this one, shocking as it is).
- Not buying a motorcycle that is well beyond your skill level (in my RTI course, they mentioned how one guy a few years back could barely ride a CBR125R but had already bought a Hayabusa).

Note that I am not saying the rider is always at fault (quite typically they're not), however there are things you can do to reduce the risk. Another good example is trying to make yourself more visible at intersections, since there is always the risk other drives didn't see you.

Really, all you can do is take control of what you can control, ride as safely as you possibly can (knowing you are the smallest thing out there with the least protection), and whatever will happen will happen.

Last edited:
Thank you sooo much to everyone. I got my bike last year. While I did stretch it a few times on safe/empty roads ( I am sure every rider is guilty of that), the advice I received here was useful. Don't rush, having safe gear, not getting a bike beyond your skill, etc.

I guess I am gonna get a little more comfortable with my bike before I decide to upgrade it next year.

If anyone ever wants to go out for a safe ride, msg me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know too many people who have opinions about how "i should live my life". Hell when the wifey was pregnant we were being told how to raise the kid (in a im-right-you-know-nothing kinda way)

Thats why i keep it on the down low around family gatherings, social media, workplace.

Not because their opinions will change my mind but because it's tiring and annoying to hear
- ignorant comments
- propaganda
- judgemental comments

On the other side, the wifey cant keep her mouth shut about the bike lol...so sometimes i get dragged into conversations i dont need to hear or dont care to be a part of... Riding is for me, my guilty please, my pre-midlife crisis catharsis, my way to develop my adventurous side, and these people have nothing to do with it.

Yes it's a danger
Yes you and i have acknowledged the risk
Yes, that acknowledgement might make you less reckless
Will what they say really affect that behaviour though? IMO not really.

Thats why i keep my moto conversations with fellow moto enthusiast friends. Usually yields more productive conversations.

What LePhillou said.... I like :\ how at family gatherings they say how I can die riding, then load me up with my third plate of pasta.

It's the sudden stop that kills you not riding. Avoid sudden stops or stationary objects.

Don't know how getting an M class license will save your life...

I think many of the stats south of the border is due to unlicensed riders that don't really know how to ride effectively. By the time you get a full M you should have spent some years gaining experience as well.

Just check fallen in memory section in peak seasons. Death comes daily. Very dangerous, and you will probably die on the bike. But what better way to die then on a bike.

I haven't witness so many deaths in my life until I started riding motorcycles and become a part of this death trap world. You only live once, so might as well enjoy it.

Enjoy your new bike, make sure not to go too crazy and get a bike you can't handle. Unless your motto is to die young.

Just check fallen in memory section in peak seasons. Death comes daily. Very dangerous, and you will probably die on the bike. But what better way to die then on a bike.

I haven't witness so many deaths in my life until I started riding motorcycles and become a part of this death trap world. You only live once, so might as well enjoy it.

Enjoy your new bike, make sure not to go too crazy and get a bike you can't handle. Unless your motto is to die young.

Lol wut?

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it for you like everyone else but this is a straight dumbass question especially on a forum where many of us have been riding for years. If you're afraid and not confident in your skills, stay the hell off a bike. You're only going to be a danger to yourself and everyone else.

I've been training combat sports for about 10 years now and work at a boxing gym...you sound like all the guys who tell me they want to spar and compete but then say "I'm kind of scared of getting knocked out" or "what if I get knocked out". With that mentality you've already lost before stepping into the ring.

Its the exact same thing with riding. Do what you're trained to do and go at your own pace, if **** happens, **** happens...pick yourself up and move forward, don't always think of the what ifs.

lol @ necro thread

What most people don't know, and some of us riders are proud of, is that riding is an unforgiving sport. Your motorcycle does not tolerate your ignorance, arrogance, stupidity, or you being emotional. Anyone who bullshits and tries to prove it while riding will find themselves crashing into a guardrail. The vast majority of riders have an ego, and only a few are humble enough to reflect on their short comings and practice. Having an ego and being ignorant is almost always the reason why someone gets a 600SS as a starter bike then gets raped by a 250 in the corner.

You will fall, but if you choose to learn, you'll only respect and enjoy the sport more.

.........or you'l quit and tell everyone how dangerous riding is =P

Back
Top Bottom