Inching towards killing the moto industry in the GTA | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Inching towards killing the moto industry in the GTA

But they are still young, and still riding supersport bikes,
so what part of the risk assessment has changed, other than a single extra year of experience?

It's never financially made sense in Canada.

I picture Inreb riding a rebel hillbilly bike:

80447ceef2e23df476fc7fd674808d5b.jpg
That's a pretty good guess on Inrebs bike. Lol

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

From memory, I think Inreb has a dr650 and a scrambler of some type. Maybe a bmw r100 as well...

Wow, what a lot of negativity. Get on your bike and ride.

From memory, I think Inreb has a dr650 and a scrambler of some type. Maybe a bmw r100 as well...
A dr650 that even my stubs of legs might be able to reach the ground on.
Ha! And you thought I was only checking out your nice pants @inreb!

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

A dr650 that even my stubs of legs might be able to reach the ground on.
Ha! And you thought I was only checking out your nice pants @inreb!

It's been raised back to stock height Joe, pants remain the same.

You sound like you would be more at home on one of the big sport-touring bikes, like an FJR13 or BMW R12 etc.

I would never tell you what you should like of course but it's something to think about. Have you ever spent time on the big Sport-touring bikes? Riding one of these bikes has no downside imo, the only stereo-type you have to uphold "is" wearing your gear and being a model rider on the road. I always think of these guys as the "elder statesmen". I'm not really sure why but yeah i respect them alot.

Thought about it, but, well....I'm not terribly interested in sport riding anymore, came into a steal of a deal on the VTX, it already had it's asking price in accessories added on by the PO, and I liked the look and sound of the big V-twin. I also wanted something setup for and comfortable 2-up as the original plan (before my wife decided she'd like her own) was a lot of 2 up touring this year.

And it's cheap as hell to insure.

In fact a 50% increase for someone who has no claims should be flat out illegal.

That's the way insurance works, however. It only takes one rider who writes off $100K in vehicles in an at-fault crash and then ends up with a full time nurse spoon feeding him and wiping his butt for a few years (to the tunes of millions of dollars), physiotherapy and all that good stuff, etc etc before he heals up (if so lucky), and, well, the rest of us have to pony up because the insurance company increases their risk assessment on motorcycles in general.

And we'd be naive to suggest they're not risky.

And yes, once again I'll add the disclaimer that I do think our insurance system here is still broken, but you don't have to read a lot to realize theft and fraud is still a huge issue here and that has a lot to do with our issues. My scenario above is equally as affected by motorcycle theft - every 10, 20, 30K+ an insurance company has to pay out because a bike is scooped and stripped, well, that money comes from somewhere, and insurance companies aren't charities. Here's hoping once they eliminate some of these issues (although theft is a tough one) that rates in general (cars and bikes) will start to go down.

The same thing happens all the time in areas routinely ravaged by natural disasters. Lots of houses that were never touched in some of the big storms that have tore up the south in years passed found their insurance rates jacked through the roof because of other houses that were destroyed. Again, that's how insurance works - risk assessment, and spread the pain.

In the end, as has been touched on several times by various members in this thread, if you just want to ride and are willing to compromise to make it affordable, buy a cheap low powered bike and you *can* get cheap insurance still.

It's been raised back to stock height Joe, pants remain the same.
Why is that? Lost too much clearance? Big Thunder said the bike was quite capable as was the rider the last time iirc.
Think I'll head over to the dual sport thread, see if there is a low seat height / high ground clearance bike.

Why is that? Lost too much clearance? Big Thunder said the bike was quite capable as was the rider the last time iirc.
Think I'll head over to the dual sport thread, see if there is a low seat height / high ground clearance bike.

It worked good for gravel roads and was no lower than your average street bike but the c/s - swing arm pivot - rear sprocket triangle made it squat, negatively compromising throttle wheelies. It's now at the lower of the 2 factory options.

It worked good for gravel roads and was no lower than your average street bike but the c/s - swing arm pivot - rear sprocket triangle made it squat, negatively compromising throttle wheelies. It's now at the lower of the 2 factory options.
We didn't get too deep in the deets as I had 1 youngin running in circles and the other complaining that he wanted to go home. Again, iirc he did say he dropped his bike, so I may have made an assumption as to the type of riding.

We didn't get too deep in the deets as I had 1 youngin running in circles and the other complaining that he wanted to go home. Again, iirc he did say he dropped his bike, so I may have made an assumption as to the type of riding.

Are you itching to kill the GTA moto industry single handedly? Please maintain focus.

you don't have to read a lot to realize theft and fraud is still a huge issue here and that has a lot to do with our issues.

I forget the source, and maybe that was discussed earlier in the thread, but ambulance chasers à la Diamond & Diamond are alleged to be the root cause of our insurance woes. Lots of "legal talent" in this province.

In the end, as has been touched on several times by various members in this thread, if you just want to ride and are willing to compromise to make it affordable, buy a cheap low powered bike and you *can* get cheap insurance still.
Definitely. I guess that when we compare ourselves to other non-north-american jurisdictions, the bulk of bikes "that are everywhere" are mainly below 3-500 cc so it is a different market and different reality all in all.
I guess we can only hope that global warming makes our winters milder? lol

Insurance cost is definitely making riding prohibitive.

I would think the manufacturers and magazines that review and promote motorcycling would expose the rising costs and contributing factors along with suggestions on what to do about it.

Yes, I know. Passing the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a solution to all of this.

Nobody get insurance, don't crash or get pulled over = Profit!

Insurance cost is definitely making riding prohibitive.

No, insurance cost is making riding prohibitive for those choosing to ride high performance bikes, or worse yet, racing bikes that happens to also be street legal.

For most others, riding can still be quite affordable, but alas, I repeat myself.

Heck, for someone using a bike as a commuter, choosing a bike that's cheap to insure ($30-$50/month) can be justified as a cost-saving vehicle based on gas savings alone. The same can not be said for someone a race bike for the same purpose, paying $300-$500/month instead - that's firmly in the toy category...and if there's one thing about "toys", is that they're usually expensive to own and operate.

No, insurance cost is making riding prohibitive for those choosing to ride high performance bikes, or worse yet, racing bikes that happens to also be street legal.

In all fairness, it might not matter what kind of sportbike one chooses to ride soon. The insurance for my Ninja 300 had renewal rate set for just over $1000 dollars, up from the low $500. Almost 100% increase. That's almost at the bottom (aside from second hand 125/250 market). Still affordable? Maybe, but what is affordable for one may be prohibitive for another. At the rate things are going, it's not going to get any more affordable for anyone.

In all fairness, it might not matter what kind of sportbike one chooses to ride soon. The insurance for my Ninja 300 had renewal rate set for just over $1000 dollars, up from the low $500. Almost 100% increase. That's almost at the bottom (aside from second hand 125/250 market). Still affordable? Maybe, but what is affordable for one may be prohibitive for another. At the rate things are going, it's not going to get any more affordable for anyone.

That can't be right, did you get any tickets? Did you move? Did you make a claim on another vehicle of yours?

My Ninja 300 is 62/m to insure. An I'm on an M2.

The insurance for my Ninja 300 had renewal rate set for just over $1000 dollars, up from the low $500. Almost 100% increase. That's almost at the bottom (aside from second hand 125/250 market). Still affordable? Maybe, but what is affordable for one may be prohibitive for another. At the rate things are going, it's not going to get any more affordable for anyone.

I temper all my remarks about insurance with the agreement that something seems wrong and we have issues in this province, but to play devil's advocate, if one can not afford $83/month insurance for a motorcycle, one might suggest they can't afford the hobby/sport at all.

If it *should* cost that much or not is the other side of the debate, but at $83/month I think most would still class it as very affordable for what amounts to a "toy" in the mind of most other motorists in the province.

That can't be right, did you get any tickets? Did you move? Did you make a claim on another vehicle of yours?

My Ninja 300 is 62/m to insure. An I'm on an M2.

Valid questions. There always seems to be more pieces to the puzzle that adds layers of confusion (and sometimes, justification) for these seemingly random increases people are reporting.

Back
Top Bottom