In vehicle Dash Cams? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

In vehicle Dash Cams?

I can't find the other thread where I said that I would post a clip of my dash cam for @PrivatePilot. I think for peace of mind, it is fine. But if I was going to be uploading videos on a regular basis, I might opt for a different one. Of course, I am not tech savvy in the least, so it just may be me. There was also a ton of corrupted files that I found in the download process, so I'm thinking that is a con as well, unless it has to do with the cheap sd card that I purchased. Anyway, here is a clip, my first ever attempt with Movie Maker and editing and all that.[video]https://youtu.be/byUsEtrMrsc[/video]
This video is private. :( No Joecam for us. Or is that Basscam?

This video is private. :( No Joecam for us. Or is that Basscam?
The quality is not good enough to be Basscam ?
Just trying to figure out privacy settings. Will try again tomorrow. I may have to set up a different YouTube account. To be continued...

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I can't find the other thread where I said that I would post a clip of my dashcam for @PrivatePilot. I think for peace of mind, it is fine. But if I was going to be uploading videos on a regular basis, I might opt for a different one. Of course, I am not tech savvy in the least, so it just may be me. There was also a ton of corrupted files that I found in the download process, so I'm thinking that is a con as well, unless it has to do with the cheap sd card that I purchased. Anyway, here is a clip, my first ever attempt with Movie Maker and editing and all that.https://youtu.be/byUsEtrMrsc

I was editing this post and deleted it and now I'm trying to fix everything.....

Due to a large number of corrupted files I had, using a variety of supposed quality inexpensive Micro SD cards, I've sworn off using anything but Sandisk and Lexar cards. It's just not worth the gamble to me.

Due to a large number of corrupted files I had, using a variety of supposed quality inexpensive Micro SD cards, I've sworn off using anything but Sandisk and Lexar cards. It's just not worth the gamble to me.
As you may already know, I am completely ignorant when it comes to tech...so my line of thinking is plausible? That the corrupted files are the card and not the dash cam? I'm actually going to check the brand right now. Brb.

As you may already know, I am completely ignorant when it comes to tech...so my line of thinking is plausible? That the corrupted files are the card and not the dash cam? I'm actually going to check the brand right now. Brb.

It's a possibility, as that was my issue. Specifically the cards that remember having trouble with were Patriot and PNY. There was another brand also, but I can't recall what it was.

I've read that even though some dash cams claim to used a class 10 microSD, class 4 works better for some reason.

It's a possibility, as that was my issue. Specifically the cards that remember having trouble with were Patriot and PNY. There was another brand also, but I can't recall what it was.
Yeah. Looks like I went major el cheapo on this. Never heard of it. Lol
52c022a5f37cf0575ce218d45fb5aaa8.jpg

I haven't heard of it either. Still drawing a blank on the third manufacturer I had trouble with. The only thing that I'm sure of is that it wasn't Kingston. It was a brand that I bought through a walk-in purchase at Tiger Direct, back when they had brick & mortar locations in Canada.

Never heard of that either. Try Sandisk. My Samsung 32GB has been holding up quite nicely as well.

Just an FYI for people in the market to buy a larger MicroSD card for their dashcam. Most dashcams require the MicroSD card being used to be formatted as a FAT32 MicroSD. Having a 32GB SD card is fine (and as a side note, the Sandisk one) has issues with some high quality recording as it has a relatively slower write speed (much lower than advertised). Have experienced issues with devices recording in 1080p @ 60fps with the Sandisk 32/64GB MicroSD card which had no issues recording at 720p/960p. Then again, they're like $20 for a 32GB card on Amazon.

Buying a 64GB MicroSD card would mean you have to take an extra step to use 3rd-party software to format it as a FAT32 as by default, it is formatted as exFAT and the default Windows and Mac formatting capabilities will not be able to format it as a FAT32 MicroSD.

Last edited:
Just an FYI for people in the market to buy a larger MicroSD card for their dashcam. Most dashcams require the MicroSD card being used to be formatted as a FAT32 MicroSD. Having a 32GB SD card is fine (and as a side note, the Sandisk one) has issues with some high quality recording as it has a relatively slower write speed (much lower than advertised). Have experienced issues with devices recording in 1080p @ 60fps with the Sandisk 32/64GB MicroSD card which had no issues recording at 720p/960p. Then again, they're like $20 for a 32GB card on Amazon.

Buying a 64GB MicroSD card would mean you have to take an extra step to use 3rd-party software to format it as a FAT32 as by default, it is formatted as exFAT and the default Windows and Mac formatting capabilities will not be able to format it as a FAT32 MicroSD.

Can you make it easy for us and link to a card for sale on Amazon that should work? Because I get a lot of corrupted files too.

@PLau I have a feeling that you might be Asian, because that last post was all Chinese to me. ?

Have experienced issues with devices recording in 1080p @ 60fps with the Sandisk 32/64GB MicroSD card which had no issues recording at 720p/960p..

Why are people running dash cams at 1080p 60fps? Were you making videos or are you just documenting your daily drive?

Can you make it easy for us and link to a card for sale on Amazon that should work? Because I get a lot of corrupted files too.

@PLau I have a feeling that you might be Asian, because that last post was all Chinese to me. 

I got 64GB MicroSD's which requires an extra step of formatting the MicroSD into FAT32. If you want to skip this step, just get 32GB cards. If you get 32GB cards, you can easily pop it into your computer, right click the icon, and format the File System as FAT32 if it isn't already.

Edit: Replaced previous link as it was to an overpriced card @ Newegg

https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-Extre...58332184&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+extreme+32gb

Same rule as above, but I haven't tested this card on actioncams yet. Got 2 of these when they were on sale for $15 each..

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...rosdxc-memory-card-mb-mc64da-ca/10393086.aspx

Why are people running dash cams at 1080p 60fps? Were you making videos or are you just documenting your daily drive?

Better chance to get a clear reading of a plate at speed a without being at a standstill. Obviously still difficult if there's a 15km/h+ speed differential. As well as, why not use your device to it's fullest capabilities? Same can be said for people in the market for computers. I'd say 80% of computer users don't even come close to using it to it's fullest capabilities, and just got it for the looks and features or because it's "in". *cough* people buying the latest and greatest Macbooks to browse the web and watch youtube videos..

Paid for it, might as well use it and it's features. What good is a dashcam in a hit and run if you can only get the make and model of the car?

Note: The one below is not very stable especially when recording high quality videos. Works on my Contour Roam @ 1080p 60fps, does not work on my GoPro Hero3.
Worked on my Samsung Galaxy S3, didn't work on my Samsung Galaxy S4... It really didn't like it and started acting crazy when I tried formatting this MicroSD to a FAT32 File system type.

https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-Ultra-Class-Adapter-SDSDQUAN-064G-C4A/dp/B00M55C1I2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1458332455&sr=8-5&keywords=sandisk+64gb

Last edited:
I like the price on that sandisk, but alas I was hoping to use it in my S4 ?
I kinda bought a cheap cam just to have in a just in case type of situation. How bad is it if I just put an old 2gb card in it?

I like the price on that sandisk, but alas I was hoping to use it in my S4 
I kinda bought a cheap cam just to have in a just in case type of situation. How bad is it if I just put an old 2gb card in it?

Not bad having low storage on a dashcam.. It also depends how large the videos are on your dashcam which will in turn show how long the video stays on there before being overwritten.

Overall, you don't really need much memory - Get into an incident? Make sure it's recorded and it just has enough memory so that it doesn't overwrite by the end of the day (or just take the SD card out).

I like large SD cards just because of the price I get for them vs low quality + small storage space is only a couple bucks difference and I can use if for something else later on if I decide to repurpose it.

The camera I have has a "parking mode" which triggers when there is movement or a bump which tends to trigger a lot due to the camera recording whenever someone walks by or if traffic is going by. Sometimes when I want to look back on driving incidents a few days down the road and find it gets overwritten due to the amount of content during parking mode.

I have a GoPro knockoff that tended to choke (corrupting files or the whole card on occasion) when I used a 32 gig SD card - turns out it was a firmware issue on some cheaper/knockoff electronics where, basically, a card above a certain size is not handled properly. The card itself wasn't the issue, it was a high quality Sandisk card.

I started using a 8 gig card instead and had no problems from that point forward.

Back
Top Bottom