In vehicle Dash Cams? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

In vehicle Dash Cams?

The contour roam would work but I believe you can only record and charge at the same time with the cable that was included with the camera. If you don't have that, you're going to have to charge it every day (depending on the length of drive/time it's on). It also does also take a lot of memory so deleting videos may be a bit of a hassle as well.

The trick I found that works, at least with my Roam 2 (I think), is you need to start recording first, then supply the power, and it should stay recording. If you supply power first then try to record it'll just beep angrily at you.

The OEM cord might solve this... I don't know, don't have an OEM cord.

The OEM cord might solve this... I don't know, don't have an OEM cord.

Yup... I lost mine (rather... It got mixed up with A LOT of other usb cords and was likely repurposed....), but read online in multiple instances that the OEM cord did the trick. Haven't tested it myself.

The problem with that is if someone sees that in your windshield they will probably break in because they think it's a $400 GoPro.
Yea that occurred to me too. I plan to use it with the skeleton case. It looks much less like a gopro when it's outside of the waterproof housing.
That camera actually looks pretty good for the price.
I'll post my thoughts after it arrives and I've had a chance to use it. It's based on the well reviewed SJ4000 so I'm expecting a fairly decent camera.

That is cool. Shame about the time. Being as most of us ride for longer periods. $1000 cdn + Think what extras I could buy for the bike. Or several dinner dates.

That is cool. Shame about the time. Being as most of us ride for longer periods. $1000 cdn + Think what extras I could buy for the bike. Or several dinner dates.

I love the idea of that Lily copter...but for riding it's pretty limited as it's top speed is fairly low as well. So it wouldn't keep up with you anyway.

This might only be my opinion (those who think this infringes on privacy would disagree with me)

But I'm hoping for the day that all cars come standard with dash-cams (front, rear and MAYBE even cockpit) to avoid all the hearsay when it comes to accidents. So long as the government has no capability to get to the HDD wirelessly and so long as police need warrants to get to them as well. There's a lot of safeguards that need to be put into place regarding this policy but seriously it's for everyone's safety on public roads.

**Waits for someone to say "well why don't we put breathalyzers in cars while we're at it**

Listening to 1010 news yesterday and they were talking about the guy on the 404 who went over the center median and killed 3 people in the oncoming lane. No one knows what happened, there is no sense of closure, this guy might get off with a 2000 dollar fine and a driving ban -- but three people are dead and I honestly think that a dashcam could provide some closure AND objectivity.

This might only be my opinion (those who think this infringes on privacy would disagree with me)

But I'm hoping for the day that all cars come standard with dash-cams (front, rear and MAYBE even cockpit) to avoid all the hearsay when it comes to accidents. So long as the government has no capability to get to the HDD wirelessly and so long as police need warrants to get to them as well. There's a lot of safeguards that need to be put into place regarding this policy but seriously it's for everyone's safety on public roads.

**Waits for someone to say "well why don't we put breathalyzers in cars while we're at it**

Listening to 1010 news yesterday and they were talking about the guy on the 404 who went over the center median and killed 3 people in the oncoming lane. No one knows what happened, there is no sense of closure, this guy might get off with a 2000 dollar fine and a driving ban -- but three people are dead and I honestly think that a dashcam could provide some closure AND objectivity.

But, as many callers to the programme noted, we charge based on the offence, rather than the result. I had a guy cut me off on my bike and I embedded the bike in his car's grille. I was carted off to hospital on a backboard and ended up walking funny for a month. He got "improper left turn."

But, as many callers to the programme noted, we charge based on the offence, rather than the result. I had a guy cut me off on my bike and I embedded the bike in his car's grille. I was carted off to hospital on a backboard and ended up walking funny for a month. He got "improper left turn."

Very true, even the sgt called in (I believe that was his rank) noted that.

But even then this is why I think a cockpit cam would be helpful... If he was on his phone at the time you add on the charges. If he maybe fell asleep at the wheel you ban his driving for life (or until his sleeping condition improves) etc. Likewise it could be beneficial, if it was indeed an 'honest mistake' (say he was checking his blindspot and his outermost tires went on the median and it pulled him in) it provides closure to the case -- there aren't questions floating about.

I don't know, I just think cameras have a lot of answers -- gopro cameras on bikes, dashcams in cars, mobile cameras mounted on police, allowing people to film in a public space. A camera is our best shot at objectivity in many instances.

But even then this is why I think a cockpit cam would be helpful... If he was on his phone at the time you add on the charges. If he maybe fell asleep at the wheel you ban his driving for life (or until his sleeping condition improves) etc. Likewise it could be beneficial, if it was indeed an 'honest mistake' (say he was checking his blindspot and his outermost tires went on the median and it pulled him in) it provides closure to the case -- there aren't questions floating about.

I don't know, I just think cameras have a lot of answers -- gopro cameras on bikes, dashcams in cars, mobile cameras mounted on police, allowing people to film in a public space. A camera is our best shot at objectivity in many instances.

It's a slippery slope. Sure, horrific things have happened to people but horrific things will ALWAYS happen. Asking for all vehicles to come equipped with dash cams from the factory is just asking for privacy invasion. There's no way the law will stay out of it once manufacturers start shipping these things in every vehicle. I agree it would be convenient to have a OEM dash cam system--and there's no technological reason they can't right now--but I would rather buy my own dash cam separately rather than go down that path. Sadly though, this is exactly what's going to happen mark my words.

Except that when it comes to the general public, it starts bleeding into areas of self-incrimination. You cannot be compelled to give evidence against yourself nor can answers that you give in a case involving another be used against you, when you are compelled to testify. How does that work when you own a camera, which contains evidence that might incriminate you? For this reason people might choose to not have cameras.

Unfortunately.

My reasoning behind it though is for transparency.

Agreed. However when the politicians get involved it'll be for the sake of the children and road safety. It's an easier sell.

Back
Top Bottom