How to winterize? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to winterize?

I have a charger so I wouldn't.

However - read through this....http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=74797

Might help you decide on a charger or a tender and may give you some food for thought.

T

Wow I didn't know that at all. I'm glad I asked. Thanks for the tip. I was meaning to get something that would charge/discharge the battery over the winter but I never got around to it. Hopefully I can get the bike started...

battery_tender.jpg

Goes for around $39.99. So fool-proof, even I can use it!
It is your friend. Don't be afraid lol.

does it matter what kind of fuel stabilizer you use for the bike. like say if you have a ninja 250 can you use a canadian tire fuel stabilizer and it wont mess up the performance for next year?

It'll be ok. I ran that the first time around with no bad consequences. Next season I just started using seafoam.

what do u do with the carbs????????drain em or somthing....do u have to take them off the bike or can it be on em:????

run stabilizer through them and leave it filled.

btw: winterizing already:confused1:?

My user manual says to fill the crankcase to the top with fresh oil, along with the other things mentioned. Does anyone recommend this or is it a waste of time?

06GIXXER

if cold is a problem get a heated vest for only $110

Donald
where can I buy a heated vest for 110???? All i hear is bad things about heated gear, the fact they the wires snap off in a few weeks...

Just put the bike away for the winter. Filled up today with PetroCan 94. Later this evening, I came across some information that says this gas could contain up to 10% ethanol. I didn't know this before now.:angry1: So, it's too late to swap out the gas for Shell 91 (ethanol-free). Mines an older bike and not as resistant to the effects of ethanol on the engine parts as newer bikes might be. I've added stabilizer to the fuel and run it through the engine before winterizing; the bike is fuel injected if that matters.

Is there any other additive I can put in the tank at this point to prevent ethanol potentially damaging parts of the bike over the winter? I'm particularly worried about ethanol attracting water that can damage the tank.

Last edited:
Couple questions for a first time bike winterizer. So my wife was awsome enough to allow me to store the bike in the living room (nice and warm). I did a fresh oil change and filter, cleaned the chain with kerosene and relubed it, washed the bike, stabilizer in a full tank of Shell 91. My only questions are:

1. Should I spin the tires a bit every 2 weeks or so to prevent flat spots (no room for stands in the house)

2. I have a battery tender, can I hook it up with the battery still conected to the bike or should I remove it from the bike and hook it up.

Thanks.

Rotating the tires should help avoid flat spots. You can hook up the battery tender with out removing the battery.

Be careful about storing a bike in the bike in the house with a full tank of gas, it might be a fire and health hazzard if it is store near a heat source like a fireplace, heater, ect. ( also risk of gas vapors leaking)

If possible,you can remove the battery and hook it up to a battery tender inside and store the motorcycle in a garage.

Is this also an appropriate stabilizer , my neighbour had this lying around; wondering if I could use this ...

IMG20111112_002.jpg

First year with my 2004 zzr 250 and loved every minute but it's time to let her hibernate. I have done lots of reading about winterizing and I have 2 questions.
1) I have read that once the stabilizer is in and mixed well, I am supposed to drain the carbs and float bowls. First by turning the petcock to off and letting is run still a stop. Problem is my petcock only has on, res and pri, no off. Do I need to do this or is this extra?
2) My bike has a center stand so only the front wheel will be touching the ground. So I was thinking of resting it on a sandbag so so that I don't have to rotate it and so it doesn't rest on the cold garage floor all winter. Will this stop it from getting flat spots? Does anyone else do this?

Hey, I've got a question regarding battery storage in a cold garage for winter.

Today I picked up a Motomaster Eliminator Intelligent Battery Charger/Maintainer (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en). It's a battery tender which'll charge and maintain the battery over long periods of times of storage.

My question was, would it be ok if I keep the battery connected to the tender in my garage which is currently very cold due to the weather outside. Would the battery still be in condition come riding season?​

I have the older generation of that model and they work great. I keep mine on the bike battery during storage in the winter. My garage is unheated as well. The current (good pun, no) battery is on its 6th year, so I figure I am due for a new one, but this set up has worked great. I used to take the battery in the house in the winter. My battery is a sealed lead/acid. If you have one where you need to top up the cells, make sure you check on the level every couple of weeks.

Great post I found this very useful I just bought an r6 as my first bike and planning to keep it for a very long time

2. I have a battery tender, can I hook it up with the battery still conected to the bike or should I remove it from the bike and hook it up.

Thanks.

I want to know this as well. I just hooked up my charger to the battery in the bike, I was too lazy to remove the rear end to take the battery out.

Back
Top Bottom