How far (backwards) we've come | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How far (backwards) we've come

I knew no one with a peanut allergy at school (UK) and one person with asthma. That's it. According to Wikipedia, the prevalence is about 1/100 for kids with peanut allergies but it doesn't say what the degree of severity is. Wonder what the prevalence is in Thailand or Vietnam where peanuts are in everything?

Never mind vietnam, people come here from Europe
and have never heard of peanut allergies.

Every kid should be given a PB sandwich upon entering school. It's natural selection. Time to weed out the weak in society. FFS every following generation are turning into china dolls. Just my opinion and carry on with your day.

So what about university though? Or college? Those kids with peanut allergies aren't protected there.

My wife works with a lady who just lost there 6 year old daughter to a peanut allergy. So yeah it's a big deal.

Of course it's a big deal. Only the peanut gallery makes light of the peanut allergy.

So what about university though? Or college? Those kids with peanut allergies aren't protected there.

I had a housemate in university who was lethally allergic to peanuts. He was cool about it though... he didn't even ban us from bringing peanuts into the house, although we didn't out of respect for him (except for chocolate covered M&M peanuts, he didn't care if we brought those in). He did show us where he kept his epi-pen and told us what a reaction looks like.

Lice are becoming resistant to the chemical treatments.

All you need is one kid coming back to school with them and the whole school can get infested, including the parent who did want to treat the kid.

Lice are becoming resistant to the chemical treatments.

All you need is one kid coming back to school with them and the whole school can get infested, including the parent who did want to treat the kid.
The best way to get rid of lice is with mayonnaise,a grocery bag, overnight

She also said that one morning, when her daughter was getting ready for school, she say that she was scratching her head a lot and didn't look at it,herself, because she knew that she would have to keep her home.

I put a lot of this on modern work climates. A lot of workplaces aren't very forgiving to the needs of parents when things like this occur and they have to take a day off at the last minute. The pressure of needing 2 parent income and lack of empathy by corporations makes for some crazy decisions.

I'm in no way defending this action as I would keep my child home and get it taken care of for their own well being let along the good of everyone else. I just have see the scramble to get kids to school and off to jobs by many parents. The most pressured are usually the lowest income earners who rely on every cent of every shift they get.

I'm not saying I agree, but officially it's not a public health concern. There are no major repercussions from having lice.

I taught at a VERY low income school in the UK and it's just par for the course. You can't even call public health to come in.

I put a lot of this on modern work climates. A lot of workplaces aren't very forgiving to the needs of parents when things like this occur and they have to take a day off at the last minute. The pressure of needing 2 parent income and lack of empathy by corporations makes for some crazy decisions.

I'm in no way defending this action as I would keep my child home and get it taken care of for their own well being let along the good of everyone else. I just have see the scramble to get kids to school and off to jobs by many parents. The most pressured are usually the lowest income earners who rely on every cent of every shift they get.
Every place I've ever worked, there are the one or two parents that always seem to have some kind of child-related crisis and need to leave early/come in late/not show up. It's not the business's responsibility to provide part-time employment at full-time pay to these people.
I'm not talking about once or twice a year - that happens - but once or twice a month or more. Other employees now have to shoulder the load, projects get set back, deliverables aren't met, obligations to clients aren't met.
As for the two-parent income; yes, in many cases, it's required to just provide the basics. But in many cases it's wanted, just to provide the 3rd flatscreen TV, the second car, the twice a year vacations, and all the other unneccessary stuff people just can't live without.
Every would-be rider who comes onto this forum is given tons of info regarding the ancilliary costs of owning a motorcycle. People wanting kids should listen to the same advice.

Every place I've ever worked, there are the one or two parents that always seem to have some kind of child-related crisis and need to leave early/come in late/not show up. It's not the business's responsibility to provide part-time employment at full-time pay to these people.
I'm not talking about once or twice a year - that happens - but once or twice a month or more. Other employees now have to shoulder the load, projects get set back, deliverables aren't met, obligations to clients aren't met.
As for the two-parent income; yes, in many cases, it's required to just provide the basics. But in many cases it's wanted, just to provide the 3rd flatscreen TV, the second car, the twice a year vacations, and all the other unneccessary stuff people just can't live without.
Every would-be rider who comes onto this forum is given tons of info regarding the ancilliary costs of owning a motorcycle. People wanting kids should listen to the same advice.

I was just pointing out why someone would shuffle their child off to school instead of being that burden to their co-workers or not get paid that day. Most of those days and emergencies are part of raising kids and something that can't be avoided. Its a tough balance for many parents and employers. No easy answers.

I get around it by working in a flexible workplace where if I need to take a day off I'll just come in on the weekend or work late a few of the other days. Not everyone is so fortunate.

I was fighting with myself about making a similar post. Thank you for making it unnecessary.

I'm not saying I agree, but officially it's not a public health concern. There are no major repercussions from having lice.

I taught at a VERY low income school in the UK and it's just par for the course. You can't even call public health to come in.

That's what happens when there's no money in the system. Itching, progressing to open sores and the potential for infection, are more severe possibilities with lice. That, alone, is more than other people should be exposed to for someone's selfish reasons.

It didn't sound like the woman I heard interviewed was hurting, financially. What about the people for whom the treatments would be a major financial hit?

I was just pointing out why someone would shuffle their child off to school instead of being that burden to their co-workers or not get paid that day.
By sending their lousy kid to school, they have just shifted the burden to all the other children and their families. And teachers, administration, support staff. Bus drivers, lunch room workers, after school program workers. And by dealing with the problem in as timely a fashion as possible, potentially their own coworkers when the kid's lice migrate to the parents, who then bring them to work.

Back
Top Bottom