How far (backwards) we've come | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How far (backwards) we've come

We aren't going backwards, we never moved forward really. Gun clubs were removed from high schools in the 50's, but they used powered asbestos in the art department. Industrial art classes (wood shop) disappeared because dust and machinery were dangerous, but school buses never had seatbelts in the 80's. Bats and balls were removed from recess play recently, and they delivered lectures on child inactivity. Its an evolution of the societies conceived notion of what's truly important. Important to the one that has an audience.

Not the same because in one case it's easy to keep the kid home, de-louse them, and return them to school. In the other case the child's life is threatened. There is no harm in a PB&J kid eating them at home because there are numerous alternatives they can eat at school. PS, if a child dies do you think it might have an effect on "everyone else"?

There are many other solutions to the peanut allergy problem as well including simply ensuring that those parents who push to allow peanuts in school also are criminally liable for murder if their childs peanuts kill another child.

Oh wait, said parents want their "rights" but of course don't want the responsibility that comes with it, kinda sounds like your OP mother.

While we're at it, let's also do the following:

1. Raise speed limits around school zones, I'm mean, who wants to be inconvenienced and have to slow down just because there are kids running around, just because your kid might be stupid enough to run out on the road doesn't mean I should have to slow down......
2. Eliminate crossing guards and yard monitors cuz I don't want to pay taxes for these expensive people just because some want their kids to be safe while transporting their PB&J's
3. Arm the peanut allergy kids so at least they can fight back with a life threatening implement of their own, I mean, why should the PB&J kids have all the power?

I can feed my kids whatever I'd like at home, I have nooooo problem sending them to school without PB&J's. They've done just fine for years, as are 10's of thousands of other kids each and every school day.
well said.

I can feed my kids whatever I'd like at home, I have nooooo problem sending them to school without PB&J's. They've done just fine for years, as are 10's of thousands of other kids each and every school day.

But they haven't done fine for years. Nobody's done fine for years. Haven't you listened to the talk shows? Viewed internet forums? Watched the daily news feeds? Doesn't Sturm and Drang mean anything to you? How much evidence do you need? Everything is messed up, you can't use PB&J consumption as a metric of quality of life. White people problems. You never hear about PB&J related issues in war torn parts of the world.

Not the same because in one case it's easy to keep the kid home, de-louse them, and return them to school. In the other case the child's life is threatened. There is no harm in a PB&J kid eating them at home because there are numerous alternatives they can eat at school. PS, if a child dies do you think it might have an effect on "everyone else"?

There are many other solutions to the peanut allergy problem as well including simply ensuring that those parents who push to allow peanuts in school also are criminally liable for murder if their childs peanuts kill another child.

Oh wait, said parents want their "rights" but of course don't want the responsibility that comes with it, kinda sounds like your OP mother.

1. Raise speed limits around school zones, I'm mean, who wants to be inconvenienced and have to slow down just because there are kids running around, just because your kid might be stupid enough to run out on the road doesn't mean I should have to slow down......
2. Eliminate crossing guards and yard monitors cuz I don't want to pay taxes for these expensive people just because some want their kids to be safe while transporting their PB&J's
3. Arm the peanut allergy kids so at least they can fight back with a life threatening implement of their own, I mean, why should the PB&J kids have all the power?

That's exactly the point I was making; just without the multi-paragraph response ;)

some schools have requested that children not be fed peanut butter at home because it stays in their system.

I wouldn't send my kids there either, the place is a joke. So are zoos.

On the flip side I wouldn't be petitioning for a ban either.

You seem very well adjusted. A nice balance of common sense and playfulness.

I'd like to see the new Tigercat facility shut down, they feed junk food to all the guests and those Tigercats just never look happy.

some schools have requested that children not be fed peanut butter at home because it stays in their system.

I picture kids being sent home with + stool sample tests.

Yeah, Mike! On THIS we agree!
To others: walk a mile in the shoes of a parent with an anaphylactic child.

(The school that suggested parents not feed peanut butter at home, is out to lunch. An over-reaction not based on science.)

The parent wanting the Oak trees cut down was also over-reacting. Let's just be reasonable.

Last edited:
Dealing with lice and scabies is a big deal. Wouldn't want some kid to spread it to others in school and take it home with them. No excuse sending them to school to spread it.

Peanut products have been banned in schools for over a decade. IIRC. No big deal, there's lots of other food stuff to send to school.

How many of us that remember having to get up and walk over to the TV to change the channel can remember having a friend (or even know anyone) that was allergic to peanuts?

How many of us that remember having to get up and walk over to the TV to change the channel can remember having a friend (or even know anyone) that was allergic to peanuts?

I'm that old and was allergic to some nuts. But it was mild and went away as I grew older.

I'd heard of lethal allergies, but no one I knew personally in school. That was something weird and very rare.

I'm that old and was allergic to some nuts. But it was mild and went away as I grew older.

I'd heard of lethal allergies, but no one I knew personally in school. That was something weird and very rare.

In the 80s i knew one person allergic to bees/wasps etc. anyone i knew with a food allergy got hives or something, not fatal.

For some reason, food allergies are on the rise. Some suggest environmental pollution, others suggest we're too clean and aren't exposed to enough germs as children.

I knew no one with a peanut allergy at school (UK) and one person with asthma. That's it. According to Wikipedia, the prevalence is about 1/100 for kids with peanut allergies but it doesn't say what the degree of severity is. Wonder what the prevalence is in Thailand or Vietnam where peanuts are in everything?

For some reason, food allergies are on the rise. Some suggest environmental pollution, others suggest we're too clean and aren't exposed to enough germs as children.

I say the latter.
I don't think Toronto have much environmental pollution except the crap in our foods

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Back
Top Bottom