How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles? | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles?

Oil change as little as every 2 years on a Volt. My wife drives a lot on the ICE commuting and her first oil change happened just a few weeks ago after, what, 9 months of ownership? And it still showed 25% oil life remaining, but our "5 Free oil changes" thingie they gave us expires after 2 years so I figured they were "use them or lose them" and I might as well get it done.

My Volt will easily go the full 2 years without a necessary change as I'm running so little on the engine.

Aside from that, tire rotations, and coolant maintenance once every 8 years or something like that.

For a pure EV like the Bolt the "maintenance schedule" is laughable, basically just tire rotations and replacement cabin air filters for the first 240,000KM.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/da...17/Chevrolet/BOLT EV/Maintenance Schedule.pdf

IMHO this is one of the reasons some dealers are steering people towards traditional ICE vehicles like they did to Mike - they know the routine maintenance cash cow train comes to an end with EV's. Who wins there, the dealer...or the consumer?

wow, definitely eye opening.. (I've read some of this thread - not all of it) - Do you have any links to articles etc for a noob to learn about EV's that are available in Canada ? thanks in advance

Last edited:
wow, definitely eye opening.. (I've read some of this thread - not all of it) - Do you have any links to articles etc for a noob to learn about EV's that are available in Canada ? thanks in advance

http://www.timetoelectrify.ca/
https://www.plugndrive.ca/electric-vehicle-discovery-centre/

Probably, not bad places to start. The second one should have some demos available, but not all of them. If you want one some real world experience, I am sure you can PM some of us who post in the other EV thread and we would be more than willing to meet up so you can ask anything from real world experience or try it.

There's a "EV Discovery Centre" in Toronto (Just google it) where you can go and get all sorts of good information, as well as actually drive a variety of them, including the Volt and Bolt, the BMW i3, and a few others.. Our experience there was a bit hit and miss (you can read about it in my "Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle" thread (this reply, specifically) but I think it was just because of the holidays, some bad weather, and basically...an unfortunate series of events. I'm sure so long as you don't go in a snowstorm your experience would be better.

Anyhow, that thread in general has TONS of information, the problem is that it's kind of got massive - over 100 pages and 2000 replies now. I started it when I was just contemplating an EV last March, and I continue to post my updates to this day, now owning 2 of them. At least 4 or 5 others in the thread (I've kind of lost track!) also went out and bought EV's after following my story an think pretty much everyone is really enjoying them.

Anyone interested, pop into that thread and maybe read the last 10 pages or so if nothing else - I recognize that reading all 100 pages isn't going to be viable for most people unless you're REALLY bored today. ;) Post up any questions there and those of us who actually OWN EV's will be happy to respond with factual answers.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?200745-Any-GTAM-ers-own-an-electric-vehicle

Right now on my current tank of fuel on my Volt I'm over 700KM and have used 2.1L of gas and <$10 in electricity. That's 0.3L/100KM, or 784MPG. Electricity is 1/8'th to 1/6'th the equivalent cost of gas, and what little you may use on something like a Volt for trips outside it's range still yields stellar overall averages. On a pure EV like the Bolt, assuming it works for your range needs and the numbers make financial sense, you're laughing all the way to the bank.

For anyone interested in actually experiencing an EV in the real world, check out the EV discover centre...or join us in the other thread and I'll extend an invite there to any GTAM member who wants to actually come experience an EV - come drive mine. Just PM me.

Instead of listening to all the garbage rhetoric online from others who don't actually have any real world experience (and often, few facts), come check one out from someone who actually owns 2 of them and has lots of actual facts.

I'm out between Oshawa and Bowmanville so I realize I'm not in the most convenient location for everyone, but the offer is out there.

Uhhh...nope.

I'm in the economics business and I can tell you the obstacles to your prediction are too large to make your claim.

They aren't my prediction. I'm just a software developer. The guys who I work with go to fancy expensive meetings half way across the world where world leaders meet up and talk about this stuff. Vehicles aren't the only things being pushed to change but its the only factor relevant to this site.

For anyone interested in actually experiencing an EV in the real world, check out the EV discover centre...or join us in the other thread and I'll extend an invite there to any GTAM member who wants to actually come experience an EV - come drive mine. Just PM me.

Instead of listening to all the garbage rhetoric online from others who don't actually have any real world experience (and often, few facts), come check one out from someone who actually owns 2 of them and has lots of actual facts.

I'm out between Oshawa and Bowmanville so I realize I'm not in the most convenient location for everyone, but the offer is out there.

I do actually want an EV, especially due to working in the energy management field. At the same time, I live in a condo....and we have no charging stations. The **** do I do? lol

I mean I can always move to one that does...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/condo-electric-car-hydro-ottawa-1.4226606

Guess I'm not buying one yet because condo owners/board is ****ing retarded. In fact, I'm gonna ask my board owner and if he replies back with what I think he will, I'll link in that article + a few others, and call him a retard.

EDIT EDIT: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/electric-vehicle-condo-legislation-ontario-1.4381969

Oh look the policies are already in play. Now I can contact the guy and yell at him even though I don't have an EV yet lol

Last edited:
油井緋色;2542707 said:
I do actually want an EV, especially due to working in the energy management field. At the same time, I live in a condo....and we have no charging stations. The **** do I do? lol

I mean I can always move to one that does...

I would be interested to see the rage when buddy with his M3 parks in the 'charger only' spot and you`re SOL.

I would be interested to see the rage when buddy with his M3 parks in the 'charger only' spot and you`re SOL.

Those tires and rims cost a lot of money.

:agave:

油井緋色;2542707 said:

Every parking garage has receptacles...somewhere. Look long and hard enough and you'll find them. Even if you only get a standard Level 1 charger you can still fully charge a Volt in 8 hours.

Yes, you'd probably need to make an arrangement with the condo board obviously, but arm yourself with the facts on the actual costs to charge (Kilowatts needed per charge, times the rates) and see what happens. If you have a forward thinking management, you never know. It's only a matter of time before they're going to have to do *something* anyways so far as charging infrastructure - the reality is we are currently on the event horizon of mass EV adoption.

Every parking garage has receptacles...somewhere. Look long and hard enough and you'll find them. Even if you only get a standard Level 1 charger you can still fully charge a Volt in 8 hours.

Yes, you'd probably need to make an arrangement with the condo board obviously, but arm yourself with the facts on the actual costs to charge (Kilowatts needed per charge, times the rates) and see what happens. If you have a forward thinking management, you never know. It's only a matter of time before they're going to have to do *something* anyways so far as charging infrastructure - the reality is we are currently on the event horizon of mass EV adoption.

The articles I linked said that condo laws have already been updated/live as of January 2018.
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/98c19#BK211

It states all condos are required to have no less than 20% of parking spaces to be EV charging capable. All parking spots should be available for retrofit when necessary.

I've got my list of swear words and insults ready for the condo board dude. He's been a jackass long enough throwing rules around. Revenge is gonna be amazing!

油井緋色;2542723 said:
The articles I linked said that condo laws have already been updated/live as of January 2018.

It states all condos are required to have no less than 20% of parking spaces to be EV charging capable. All parking spots should be available for retrofit when necessary.

I've got my list of swear words and insults ready for the condo board dude. He's been a jackass long enough throwing rules around. Revenge is gonna be amazing!

Are you an owner? Are your AGMs as fun to watch as they few that ive been to?

Are you an owner? Are your AGMs as fun to watch as they few that ive been to?

No, and thank ****ing God I'm not. After the amount of **** my landlord has to deal with, I've felt sorry enough for him that I'll cover his ***.

油井緋色;2542723 said:
....I've got my list of swear words and insults ready for the condo board dude. He's been a jackass long enough throwing rules around. Revenge is gonna be amazing!

油井緋色;2542728 said:
No, and thank ****ing God I'm not. After the amount of **** my landlord has to deal with, I've felt sorry enough for him that I'll cover his ***.

:confused: I take it your landlord and the condo board dude are different ppl? 2 different living spaces you're dealing with?

:confused: I take it your landlord and the condo board dude are different ppl? 2 different living spaces you're dealing with?

Yes, same living space though.

Landlord we just pay rent to and make sure to treat his place nicely.

Condo board dude (aka senior property manager with a stick shoved so far up his *** he's giving a reverse blow job) is the guy giving the landlord troubles when he wants some rules enforced. Except the jackass only enforces rules that makes or saves him money, not the ones like "guy upstairs has a dog that never stops barking even though this is a no pet building."

油井緋色;2542723 said:

Where does it state that? If there's any 20% mention, I am pretty sure it refers to NEW buildings, not existing ones ... otherwise, it's not enforceable without writing a cheque to existing condo places to cover all kinds of costs. I cannot see how this would work ....

油井緋色;2542723 said:

Interesting..but where you you find the wording that mentions that? I searched a bunch of common terms and don't see it anywhere.

I know there was *discussion* about it late last year, but just that - only discussion.

Last edited:
I'm in the economics business

I'd not be bragging on that

Tarot cards, tea leaves, fortune cookies—people will try anything to get a glimpse of what’s to come. Even the (presumably rational) economists of the world love to try to predict the future, according to A. K. Sen, A. G. M. Last, and Randolph Quirk.

While economists are armed with degrees, data, and historical precedents, they can get it wrong as often as a crystal ball does. Indeed, the New York Times reported that in 2017 “the experts got the year wrong.” When prognosticating about 2017, economists foresaw a lackluster global economy, rising inflation, a strengthening of the U.S. dollar, and a weak year for places like Japan, Russia, and Brazil. Instead, according to Times Op-Ed writer Ruchir Sharma:
https://daily.jstor.org/why-economists-make-terrible-fortunetellers/

and wow - they missed the 2008 meltdown...:rolleyes:

What actually happened in 2017??

President Trump had little impact on the economy, and the dollar fell against every major currency. While American stocks did well, foreign markets did better, because the rest of the world grew faster than expected, and inflation remained quiet. Given up for dead, even Japan bounced back. The nationalist right underachieved, and recovery spread to Europe and beyond. Three-quarters of the globe saw an acceleration in economic growth for the first time in a decade.

EV adoption is coming in a massive accelerating wave.

Our next tech step is figuring out how to pull existing CO2 out.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom