How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do you feel about the decline of petrol vehicles?

Drove my Volt 500KM in the last week.

Cost in my old Magnum would have been about 75L of gas, so $93.75.

Cost in my Volt was 7 charges at about $1.25 each, and 4L of gas for one of those trips that exceeded my electric range. Total cost $13.75. Had I not used that little bit of gas I'd have been $8.75

There's just zero debate here, I don't know when people will get it. I saved $80 this week alone.

very nice.

Is there any comparison of total cost of ownership of an EV/hybrid(purchase, use and charger install at home) vs a similar ICE car?

BUT...if you aren't getting a new car, the smaller amounts paid at each fill up for a older gas guzzling SUV make it "easier" on the wallet each week.

very nice.

And quoting each charge at $1.25 each I was being very generous. In reality it was probably around $1 each as most were off peak, although some were recharges through the day on mid peak, so I kinda averaged it out.

Riceburner said:
BUT...if you aren't getting a new car, the smaller amounts paid at each fill up for a older gas guzzling SUV make it "easier" on the wallet each week.

Buying an EV solely to save yourself money versus a paid off vehicle isn’t going to save you anything. Agreed.

Buying an EV when the time comes you NEED a new vehicle will.

Look at my examples in the EV thread. Both our vehicles were nearing end of life. We needed replacements. Bought 2 used EV’s versus regular cars. Have been laughing ever since.

Last edited:
I was surprised at the longevity on EV batteries plus the emerging reconditioning biz...$600 US for a reconditioned Prius battery.!!

Keep spinning your wheels.

I feel quite comfortable with my statement, because it's based on knowledge of people who actually are in the business of making EV cars ..... you know how many of these hot irons they get every day? A lot ... you know how many have actually any probability being viable solutions for mass transportation in the next 20 years. None. This is from people who are actively looking and listening for someone to bring them either a more promising battery chemistry or other form of renewable fuel. These people are not against, they just know that hydrogen fool cell is not something we will be able to use in the next at least 20 years for mass transport.

Good enough for me, but you guys can keep dreaming and in the meantime, I just plug in in the warmth of my garage .... :)

they had some fuel cell buses running in vancouver in the mid - late 90's. as a test. Think it was ballard fuel cells? I watched them on the market for awhile but it wasn't making any real gains, was going down. no idea today. There is always potential. Has there been much progress in 20 years? doesn't seem so.

I was surprised at the longevity on EV batteries plus the emerging reconditioning biz...$600 US for a reconditioned Prius battery.!!

The Prius battery is pretty small compared to a real EV - the size of a small suitcase.

prius_battery_replacement.jpg

Even Volt batteries are not that expensive however - look on car-part.com and there's tons of 2013-2015 entire battery assemblies for between $1000 and $2000, most with pretty low miles.

Private Pilot
Cost of electricity to recharge a Chevy Bolt - $5-$8 depending on rate. Yields 380KM range.

Cost to refill Honda Clarity Hydrogen car - $83 USD, so over $100 Canadian. Yields 408KM.

You tell me which one is winning, and which one makes more sense.

Ummmm you know very well that is a luducrous comparison.
Hydrogen is a transportable fuel with a huge upside for scaling costs down.

Photosynthesis without Cells: Turning Light into Fuel | U.S. DOE Office ...
https://science.energy.gov/bes/highlights/2017/bes-2017-11-g/
Nov 24, 2017 - The Science. An entirely human-made architecture that converts light into fuel was built at the Center for Nanoscale Materials. This architecture combines tiny, nano-sized and artificial biological structures. It uses water and sunlight to pump out hydrogen without need of high heat or pressure.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/05/hydrogen-fuel-dream-wont-die/

https://phys.org/news/2017-10-pursue-low-cost-efficient-technologies-hydrogen.html

and not directly relevant
Maritime fuel cell demonstrator project shows promise - Marine Log
www.marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item...promise...
Aug 18, 2017 - AUGUST 18, 2017—A report recently released by U.S. Department of Energy's ( DOE's) Fuel Cell Technologies Office in the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy indicates that it is possible to increase energy efficiency by up to 30% at part load and reduce emissions to zero through the use of hydrogen fuel .

Private Pilot

Ummmm you know very well that is a luducrous comparison.
Hydrogen is a transportable fuel with a huge upside for scaling costs down.

Just posting the facts.

And that story with the $83 listed cost of fuelling a Honda Clarity wasn't exactly long, long ago either. What WILL the cost be here? Nobody knows. If it's $83 in the USA where fuel is typically dirt cheap compared to us, I think my conversion based on the exchange rate only may have actually been quite generous, actually.

And with a $1.6M cost of a single filling station serving but only a small handful of cars...well, someones going to want to actually make a profit if these actually ever make it to the consumer market, so would one expect any sort of break on the cost of the fuel they dispense?

I stand fast that a charging station in my own driveway is more convenient than ANY other fuel source, short of maybe Natural Gas where you can fuel in your own driveway as well.

You are right. I would
agree on 10 cents a kwhr off peak
edit
but what about the loses during charging. lmao. gotta give me 10% there. plus the 6% tax. Im up to 12 cents now...you don't pay any regulatory charges?... here I go again..lol forgive me please.

EDIT oh found another..the global investment fund is 4 cents a kwhr (hidden too). Im up to 16 cents a kwhr now. I'll keep looking for others. lol.
Remember to add HST to everything but the basic energy charge.

So, as was mentioned, I don't know where you got a lot of those numbers from, but they are fantastically wrong. I'm hoping it's just an honest mistake based on a misunderstanding of EV's, not a deliberate attempt to smear them, but lets set some things straight.

No attempt to smear -- I spent a lot of time with the Chevy dealer looking for ways to make this work -- those are their numbers, not mine. I ended up with a Cruze LT, the comparison was with a VOLT LT - that's about as apples to apples as you can make it. The prices of each car were the best I could negotiate (for the Cruze it was the price I paid) all in after tax and rebates. The Volt also required a $2000 220v CopperCreek charger as quoted by the dealer. I did not include the $500 cost to install this in my garage.

For EV's you can't use the MSRP as the comparison, at the time I was looking there was Zero/0/notta discount on EVs. In some cases like the Bolt, dealers were charging a hefty premium over MSRP. I see the Volt prices have come down a bit recently, but with a charger they are still $40K out the door.

First, electricity isn't $0.020/kwh. Off peak (which is when most EV owners charge) it's $0.065/kwh. Less than a third of what you posted. Even if you insist on charging during on peak hours it's less than $0.20/kwh, so I'm not sure where that number came from. If you're trying to roll in delivery fees and such that's a bit of a misnomer in the end as you're paying those anyways for your regular home electricity usage so trying to lump all those fees onto the EV figures is a fallacy.
Wrong again. The energy itself costs .065/kwh to -- delivery and other fees are metered too, only a portion is fixed rate. You also pay HST on all but the base electricity charge. For me the average off peak 'extra cost' are about 0.085 where I live.

But, your kwh/100KM consumption for the Volt is off the charts wrong and seems to be pulled from either the consumption figures of a Tesla (driven very aggressively at that, not all EV's are equally efficient either - the Porche offerings for example are energy pigs), or is a confusion between Kilometers and Miles, since most stats out there are in US figures.

This article may be of interest for you, or anyone considering an EV actually.

So, an actual more realistic figure is around 17Kw/100KM. In the summer in stop and go or city traffic (which is far MORE effecient on an EV vs a gas car, opposite from the usual) that can easily drop to the sub 15 level, but lets say 16.5kw/100KM as an average.

You are partly correct, that's how much energy the batteries hold and use to cover 100KM. You are missing the fact that charging batteries takes energy itself as chargers are about 80% effecient -- you pay for that loss. Add charging loss to your 17kwh and you get my number.
Doing the calculations again, assuming off peak electricity, you now have a cost of $1.07 for those 100KM's.
My numbers are right. Your numbers considered the price of electricity, you forgot to add network loss charges losses (4%), the metered portion of utility admin/delivery costs .08kwh, HST etc on non-energy utility charges -- and you are assuming the car never needs to be charged outside non-peak hrs.

Over a 25,000KM year as you listed, yearly cost for the Cruze is $2217 in gas. For the Volt, $240 in electricity, for a savings of almost $2000/year.
No again. You are not taking into account anything but the raw cost of energy at the absolute cheapest time of use. That's unrealistic. There are lots of studieds on the Volt, when compared to a Cruze nobody gets 50% fuel savings.

If you think this is the case, step into a dealer - you can get a Cruze LT for $22K OUT THE DOOR. Volt prices have dropped a lot, but with a charger you're still looking at out the door. The dealers I went to laughed at the GM price your car printouts I brought to them.

Last edited:
No attempt to smear -- I spent a lot of time with the Chevy dealer looking for ways to make this work -- those are their numbers, not mine. I ended up with a Cruze LT, the comparison was with a VOLT LT - that's about as apples to apples as you can make it. The prices of each car were the best I could negotiate (for the Cruze it was the price I paid) all in after tax and rebates. The Volt also required a $2000 220v CopperCreek charger as quoted by the dealer. I did not include the $500 cost to install this in my garage.

For EV's you can't use the MSRP as the comparison, at the time I was looking there was Zero/0/notta discount on EVs. In some cases like the Bolt, dealers were charging a hefty premium over MSRP. I see the Volt prices have come down a bit recently, but with a charger they are still $40K out the door.

Wrong again. The energy itself costs .065/kwh to -- delivery and other fees are metered too, only a portion is fixed rate. You also pay HST on all but the base electricity charge. For me the average off peak 'extra cost' are about 0.085 where I live.

You are partly correct, that's how much energy the batteries hold and use to cover 100KM. You are missing the fact that charging batteries takes energy itself as chargers are about 80% effecient -- you pay for that loss. Add charging loss to your 17kwh and you get my number.
My numbers are right. Your numbers considered the price of electricity, you forgot to add network loss charges losses (4%), the metered portion of utility admin/delivery costs .08kwh, HST etc on non-energy utility charges -- and you are assuming the car never needs to be charged outside non-peak hrs.

No again. You are not taking into account anything but the raw cost of energy at the absolute cheapest time of use. That's unrealistic. There are lots of studieds on the Volt, when compared to a Cruze nobody gets 50% fuel savings.

If you think this is the case, step into a dealer - you can get a Cruze LT for $22K OUT THE DOOR. Volt prices have dropped a lot, but with a charger you're still looking at out the door. The dealers I went to laughed at the GM price your car printouts I brought to them.
You dont need a charger thay is just the dealer trying to upsell the charger the car comes with will do level 2 I have been since i bought the car. The hydro rate I posted was after all taxes etc from my bill and i only charge the car off peak so i pay less than that to charge. I paid around $32 otd. Half of the problem seems to be the dealers dont know what they are selling.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You are right. I would
agree on 10 cents a kwhr off peak
edit
but what about the loses during charging. lmao. gotta give me 10% there. plus the 6% tax. Im up to 12 cents now...you don't pay any regulatory charges?... here I go again..lol forgive me please.

EDIT oh found another..the global investment fund is 4 cents a kwhr (hidden too). Im up to 16 cents a kwhr now. I'll keep looking for others. lol.
Did you not look at what I posted 8.3 cents after all taxes and fees is my cost with hydro one at the highest delivery rate in ontario. it would be cheaper for anyone who is higher density or in a city. That was also my cost per kw averaged over my total use i only charge the car off peak so it is actually under 8.3c per kwh. I even posted a bill. 8.3 c total after all taxes fee charges etc.

No one seems to mention maintence costs.
Shouldn't be much different for the first few years of ownership as most new cars include oil changes etc for the first few years, but are less in the long run on a ev.

But there is more than just oil changes over 100,000 km.

AAA estimated that the average repair and maintenance costs for a new vehicle in 2017 would total about $1,200 a year.

Last edited:
But there is more than just oil changes over 100,000 km.
Not much anymore all i have done is oil changes on my truck until 100000 and new brakes at 100000. Still under warranty until 160

Not much anymore all i have done is oil changes on my truck until 100000 and new brakes at 100000. Still under warranty until 160

Pretty sure fluids should be changed at 70kish/2years for a lot of models. Now does the average person actually follow the schedule? I suppose that's up for debate.

Pretty sure fluids should be changed at 70kish/2years for a lot of models. Now does the average person actually follow the schedule? I suppose that's up for debate.
5yrs 160 for coolant and transmission

Back
Top Bottom