Honda Shadow Riders | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda Shadow Riders

I got mine May 30, (my first bike) and have put over 3500km on it, there has never been a problem, and it is a blast to ride. While riding, the looks and comments I get from other riders, and caged drivers are always great.

I have a phantom. Love it.
Phantom was first produced in 2010, and was only available in Glossy Black.
2012 they changed the colour to Matt black. everything else has remained the same.

It's the bike i started on, and this year bought a SS but still kept the Phantom.

Only one complaint about the bike, the seat. after 45 min the seat really starts to bug me around the tailbone area... and most other shadow riders i've spoken to have the same problem with the Factory Seat.

The Mustang seat with the driver backrest makes all the difference in the world on my Shadow Aero.

KidsCleaningBike.jpg

I have a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 C2.
I'd like a little more power or a lot more if I can get it. :lmao:

Two questions:
a) Is the Kuryakyn Hypercharger worth installing on my Shadow to get more horsepower or is it essentially a noise making "eye candy only" gimmick?
b) What else needs to be done to the bike (rejet, custom exhaust, etc.) to maximize the power enhancing effect of the Kuryakyn Hypercharger?

I have a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 C2.
I'd like a little more power or a lot more if I can get it. :lmao:

Two questions:
a) Is the Kuryakyn Hypercharger worth installing on my Shadow to get more horsepower or is it essentially a noise making "eye candy only" gimmick?
b) What else needs to be done to the bike (rejet, custom exhaust, etc.) to maximize the power enhancing effect of the Kuryakyn Hypercharger?

Edited for you... Kuryuckin, and as for power jet it and pipe it you might get like 3hp not worth it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Edited for you... Kuryuckin, and as for power jet it and pipe it you might get like 3hp not worth it

The dealer wants $300 (3 shop hours) to install the Hypercharger and the unit costs about $300.
A friend and long time rider told me that if I want big touring bike performance I need to trade the Shadow in on a bigger bike. There are no shortcuts.
The modern day Shadow 750s with their engines choked out with emissions crap are "around town" bikes.
The Shadow engine is putting out 43 hp (@ 5500 rpm).
My old CB 750 Nighthawk way back in the 70s put out 78 hp and was a lighter bike.
That "bread loaf" seat on the Nighthawk was not very humanitarian but the bike could pass every 4-wheeler on the road.
The Shadow is gutless with the pick-up and passing power of a park bench.

The dealer wants $300 (3 shop hours) to install the Hypercharger and the unit costs about $300.
A friend and long time rider told me that if I want big touring bike performance I need to trade the Shadow in on a bigger bike. There are no shortcuts.
The modern day Shadow 750s with their engines choked out with emissions crap are "around town" bikes.
The Shadow engine is putting out 43 hp (@ 5500 rpm).
My old CB 750 Nighthawk way back in the 70s put out 78 hp and was a lighter bike.
That "bread loaf" seat on the Nighthawk was not very humanitarian but the bike could pass every 4-wheeler on the road.
The Shadow is gutless with the pick-up and passing power of a park bench.

Yeah they are a dog, but run forever. maybe time to go to the vtx 1300

Yeah they are a dog, but run forever. maybe time to go to the vtx 1300

I like the looks of the vtx 1800 on the internet.
I've owned bigger bikes in the past.
I shoulda researched the Shadow more before I bought it.
I thought being a 750 it would be an ashphalt smoker like my old CB Nighthawk.
Didn't realize a lot of the new age medium sized bikes are oversized "around town" mopeds.
43 hp for a 750 is pathetic.
I'll ride the Shadow for the rest of this summer as I have no long trips planned but will dump it next spring for something bigger possibly the vtx 1800.
I want to do another long tour on a bike before I meet my Maker.
It's not as if I'm a new rider. I've had a bike license and several bikes over the span of 40 years.

I like the looks of the vtx 1800 on the internet.
I've owned bigger bikes in the past.
I shoulda researched the Shadow more before I bought it.
I thought being a 750 it would be an ashphalt smoker like my old CB Nighthawk.
Didn't realize a lot of the new age medium sized bikes are oversized "around town" mopeds.
43 hp for a 750 is pathetic.
I'll ride the Shadow for the rest of this summer as I have no long trips planned but will dump it next spring for something bigger possibly the vtx 1800.
I want to do another long tour on a bike before I meet my Maker.
It's not as if I'm a new rider. I've had a bike license and several bikes over the span of 40 years.
You're comparing a twin detuned for cruising to an inline four: apples to oranges. I love my Harley but even at 96ci, it can barely get out of its own way. A bigger v-twin cruiser is not going to give you much more in the way of performance. Whatever HP gains are achieved by larger displacement are negated by the bike being much bigger and heavier. Plus harder to maneuver at low speeds.
If you're looking for performance for long range touring, there are any number of bikes that fit the bill: FJR, ST1300, Triumph Trophy, etc. Lots of riders here far more knowledgable than I am on the subject.

You're comparing a twin detuned for cruising to an inline four: apples to oranges. I love my Harley but even at 96ci, it can barely get out of its own way. A bigger v-twin cruiser is not going to give you much more in the way of performance. Whatever HP gains are achieved by larger displacement are negated by the bike being much bigger and heavier. Plus harder to maneuver at low speeds.
If you're looking for performance for long range touring, there are any number of bikes that fit the bill: FJR, ST1300, Triumph Trophy, etc. Lots of riders here far more knowledgable than I am on the subject.

Thanks for the info.
I'll ride the Shadow for the rest of the summer and look at the Honda ST1300 next spring.
Friend of mine has and ST1300 and the only comment he made was that it revs kinda high at highway sppeds and could do with an extra up-gear for smoothness and gas economy.
Had a CB 360 twin in the mid 70s that was a surprisingly good highway for its size because it had an extra high range forward gear.
Went from North Bay to Toronto in 1976 with that little 360 and it kept up with traffic with no problem.

A rider I know tried the Kuryakyn Hypercharger on his bike and removed it.
He said the only real effect on motorcycle speed from installing the unit might be because it lightened his wallet considerably.
Being a fairly large man with long legs he kept banging his knee on it.
It's just a shiny sucker gimmick to separate newbie bikers from their money.

A rider I know tried the Kuryakyn Hypercharger on his bike and removed it.
He said the only real effect on motorcycle speed from installing the unit might be because it lightened his wallet considerably.
Being a fairly large man with long legs he kept banging his knee on it.
It's just a shiny sucker gimmick to separate newbie bikers from their money.

Yeah pretty much! Glad you didn't get suckered

Thanks for the info.
I'll ride the Shadow for the rest of the summer and look at the Honda ST1300 next spring.
Friend of mine has and ST1300 and the only comment he made was that it revs kinda high at highway sppeds and could do with an extra up-gear for smoothness and gas economy.
Had a CB 360 twin in the mid 70s that was a surprisingly good highway for its size because it had an extra high range forward gear.
Went from North Bay to Toronto in 1976 with that little 360 and it kept up with traffic with no problem.
I also had a 360 in the 70s and while it was fun to ride, it wasn't breaking any performance records: 34 hp24.8 kW @ 9000 rpm
Keeping up with traffic in the 70s was a much different proposition than it is today.

I also had a 360 in the 70s and while it was fun to ride, it wasn't breaking any performance records: 34 hp24.8 kW @ 9000 rpm
Keeping up with traffic in the 70s was a much different proposition than it is today.

The CB360 weighed 328 pounds, put out 34 hp @ 9000 rpm, had a 6 speed gear box.
My Shadow Spirit 750 C2 weighs 520 pounds and puts out only 9 hp more than the CB360.
It's a lamer but one of the most comfortable and easy handling bikes I've ever owned.

Any Shadow riders have oversized hard saddle bags on their bikes? I can't seem to find larger ones. I like the look, plus I am a bit of a pack rat.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Couple of us get together at Vaughan Bike Night on Mondays and Leslie and Lakeshore on Thursdays. If your out in Brampton you could probably make it out to Monday Nights, although the season is winding down and it will probaly stop any week now.
Maybe we could set up a Shadow Fall Colour ride?

You guys still meet there on Mondays? And where exactly?

Thinking of maybe getting a shadow phantom for my next bike... Its kinda between that and a yamaha bolt, but right now with the Phantom being 7999 vs 9200 for the bolt and its going to be much better on insurance (assumption). I got a couple questions for you owners though...

1. How is the comfort for trips such as 3hrs?
2. How is it with a passenger for trips such as 30 mins?
3. Long term reliability -- its a honda right? Should last forever...?
4. I'm 6'0' hows the comfort for a normal/tall rider?
5. What would you change about it?

Thanks

Thinking of maybe getting a shadow phantom for my next bike... Its kinda between that and a yamaha bolt, but right now with the Phantom being 7999 vs 9200 for the bolt and its going to be much better on insurance (assumption). I got a couple questions for you owners though...

1. How is the comfort for trips such as 3hrs?
2. How is it with a passenger for trips such as 30 mins?
3. Long term reliability -- its a honda right? Should last forever...?
4. I'm 6'0' hows the comfort for a normal/tall rider?
5. What would you change about it?

Thanks

not sure if this will help, as my 750 Shadow is the only bike I've ever owned, but I bought it partly because I could ride comfortably being only 5'6". Looks like taller riders are a bit more cramped. For comparison, I cannot reach the controls on a Fury.

That's what's nice about forums.
You can kick ideas around and get the benefit of the experience of others and it doesn't cost any money.
Helps immensely when you walk into a bike shop better armed with information to make a good choice.
This is the first decent summer we've had in 10 years without the incessant daily rain showers and the bike riding desire is making a come back.
My Shadow sat in the shed all summer last year and most of the year before as it rained almost daily.
I'll settle for cold crappy winters like last winter if the summers can be all like this year.

Last edited:
not sure if this will help, as my 750 Shadow is the only bike I've ever owned, but I bought it partly because I could ride comfortably being only 5'6". Looks like taller riders are a bit more cramped. For comparison, I cannot reach the controls on a Fury.

Great around city/town bike but a little "shy" for the freeways and the 400 series.
Can't beat em if you live in the suburbs and commute to the city core daily.

Just got back from a ride on my 750 Shadow Spirit C2 after just getting it back on the road.
Neat how you don't forget certain skills like swimming and bike riding.
Looked at the registration and insurance certificate and the bike is actually a 2007 not a 2009 as I thought.
I'm 5' 9" and the bike is a perfect fit.
If I pick up a bigger bike for touring next summer I think I'll keep the Shadow.
I can't imagine a better "around the GTA" bike.
Keeps up with traffic on the 401 and 407 and very nimble in the many intersections and side streets in the city and suburbs.
It's practically a new bike with less than 200 km on it and it's worth more than I'd ever get for it on a trade-in.
Not many 2007 Shadows around with that little mileage.

Back
Top Bottom